PDA

View Full Version : Cracked my bearing carrier

coryatver
03-29-2003, 06:27 AM
When I was changing the axle bearings a cracked my carrier on the side with the chain adjustment notches. I was wondering if I should get a new axle carrier or aftermarket one and what is the best kind for the money. Also if anyone has a used stock one in good shape let me know. Does anyone have aftermarket carriers? are they better than stock? I found a double row carrier in the K&K add in dirtwheels for $179. and there are lonestar ones on ebay for around $140. Can you get one for a better price anywhere? Thanks.
Cory

jmoney45
03-29-2003, 06:29 AM
I have a stock one thats in real good shape. It is still installed though, and probably won't come off til next weekend. Shouldn't need bearings but I'll check when it comes off. I know Rico is selling one so if you need it sooner contact him.

toby400ex
03-29-2003, 11:27 AM
About every billet carrier is the same. Tapered carriers are better in the way that you can service the bearings. But you loose chain adjustment with them. So just find the cheapest deal on a double row bearing carrier.

TRX_Thumper
04-08-2003, 12:50 PM
as long as ye dont get a lonestar carrier you will be ok i hate mine its junk.....after 2 months the bearings are shot...no broken seals...i pulled the carrier after every ride an checked it and greased it according to lonestars instructions

DEAL
04-14-2003, 08:52 AM
I had the same problem with my carrier on my 300ex.
It broke once, i had it welded and it broke again like a month later. I never really got it fixed and i ended up chewing up bearings pretty quickly because of it.
your better off getting an aftermarket carrier than another stocker.
I find the best way to adjust the chain to prevent this from happening is getting a flat head screw driver and a hammer and hitting the carrier downwards instead of prying in the holes.

Rip_Tear
04-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Well I would go with an aftermarket one, heres a pic of one off here, I am not exactly sure its called, but here is a pic (I like the greaser on it!)

coryatver
04-14-2003, 01:00 PM
I ordered a rad double row carrier, the same as the one in that picture I think from c&d racing a while ago but it is on backorder. I didn't realize the grease fitting was on the side so you can get to it. Thats great! I thought it was in the middle like lonestar.

Yellow2001400ex
04-15-2003, 07:30 AM
I just recently had my stock bearings go out in my 01 400 and put a RAD billet bearing carrier in with tapered bearings and there is a big difference in feel. Plus with tapered bearings, if serviced right, will last a long time. I recommend this setup. Also, NVME, the company that makes this carrier, has great service and I ordered and had my carrier in 2 weeks. Lifetime warranty too:D

4punksdad
04-17-2003, 05:03 AM
heat the carrier in an oven or on a woodstove next time...............not too hot, but get it warm enough that you need gloves to hold it.

when you reinstall the bearings, throw the bearings in the freezer the day before. get them cold and the carrier warm..............it will slide back together no prob.

Guy400
04-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
heat the carrier in an oven or on a woodstove next time...............not too hot, but get it warm enough that you need gloves to hold it.

when you reinstall the bearings, throw the bearings in the freezer the day before. get them cold and the carrier warm..............it will slide back together no prob. Very smart, Grasshoppa!! I've never changed Honda axle bearings but I always hear guys b!tch about it. I just asked in another thread why people don't heat the carriers when they do this?!

Rip_Tear
04-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Very smart, Grasshoppa!! I've never changed Honda axle bearings but I always hear guys b!tch about it. I just asked in another thread why people don't heat the carriers when they do this?!

Mine just slides in and out when I loosned the tighteners (4 allen key bolts) I had no problems, my biggest problem was getting the lock nuts off! IT took forever!

4punksdad
04-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Mine just slides in and out when I loosned the tighteners (4 allen key bolts) I had no problems, my biggest problem was getting the lock nuts off! IT took forever!

we are talking about removing and installing the bearings inside the carrier.