PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cam installation

mrrilla
03-28-2003, 07:23 AM
I am in the process of installing a cam into my 400ex but I ran into a slight problem. I have the motor at TDC and I know the cam lobes must be poitned down but I dont how the cam gear should be in reference to the timing chain. I didn't match mark the chain to the gear when pulled and i want to make sure my timing is on when I try to fire the machine up. Thanks in advance

F-16Guy
03-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Look for the three index marks on the cam gear (they face out, btw). One points up, and the other two are perpendicular with the upper gasket surface of the cylinder head. Good luck.

Castor-426ex
03-28-2003, 06:56 PM
thats right
and make sure to use a thread loc on those timing gear allen bolts

Castor-426ex
03-28-2003, 07:21 PM
another thing is look in the timing hole on the crankcase cover and make sure the sideways"t" lines up with the notch

its all in your trusty service manual:D

Leo
03-29-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by mrrilla
I am in the process of installing a cam into my 400ex but I ran into a slight problem. I have the motor at TDC and I know the cam lobes must be poitned down but I dont how the cam gear should be in reference to the timing chain. I didn't match mark the chain to the gear when pulled and i want to make sure my timing is on when I try to fire the machine up. Thanks in advance

YIKES

STOP RIGHT NOW

go to your dealer or www.helminc.com and grab a copy of the service manual..

if you get the timing wrong, you WILL bend the valves.. not pretty..

Leo