PDA

View Full Version : new Chain,,, suggestions

wayoung11
03-28-2003, 07:01 AM
I want to get a new chain for a 98 300 ex. what brand and most importantly what size of a chain do i need. thanks guys,

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-28-2003, 07:35 AM
We have good luck with the DID x ring 520 chain..

QuadTrix6
03-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
We have good luck with the DID x ring 520 chain..

yes that is a very good chain thats what i was gonna say :)

Ex'r Marlin
03-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
yes that is a very good chain thats what i was gonna say :) Ditto.:)

As for how many links, I don't remember... I do not have a stock length swingarm.:(

wayoung11
03-28-2003, 03:37 PM
thanks guys, i need to know the links of a stock 300 , or ill be forced to count the old chain :)

j37
03-28-2003, 04:42 PM
I have a 520 D.I.D X-ring chain on my 400ex. Its a very good chain. Whatever you get though get an O-ring chain.

wayoung11
03-28-2003, 05:08 PM
tibal , here are my wheels.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Stock length for a 300ex is 86 links

wayoung11
03-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Basically im screwed (i think) i got an x ring chain. some company umm (*#*#&* forgot the name its like RK RA RH or something. Anyway i got it down to 86 links, and its too small ( i think) ther is hardly any slack in it at all. If i go one more link its going to be 2 long. what do i do!!!. Im even having problems getting the damn master link in. I just thought mabye the chain would streatch just a bit if i tried to roll it on. well any suggestions would be helpfull.

Ex'r Marlin
03-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Can you match up your new chain with your old one to varify you have the right length chain?

If 86 links is stock length, and your chain now has 86 links and is too short, you either have a larger rear sprocket and/or larger front sprocket.

If the new chain matches your old chain:

First... Do you have the rear of the atv suspended to where the rear shock is fully extended? If not, either place a atv stand underneath your atv, or jack your subframe up as high as you can get it.

Second... Do you have the axle carrier rotated all the way to give as much slack as possible? If not, loosen the axle carrier adjustment bolts, rotate the axle carrier til the axle is moved as close to the front of the atv as possible. Note: This will decrease your wheelbase.

Third... Check to see if your new chain now fits when you place the master link into possition. If yes, remove your atv stand or whatever you used to raise the rear end up. If no, I am guessing that your chain is too short. Otherwise, after you have the atv unsuspended, did the chain get too tight? If yes, either your chain is too short, or you need to rotate the axle carrier to where it loosens up more.

Note: I am told that the master links are designed for a tight fit, and that there is a tool that closes the master links together. I do not have the tool, so I have always used a drill bit to open the diameter a little to where it was easier to assemble with a little pressure required. I hope this helps!:D

Good luck!

wayoung11
03-31-2003, 04:31 AM
I got it :) whoo hoo, thanks all

oynot400
03-31-2003, 07:53 AM
I have tried different brands of chains. DID, EK, and some others I can't think the name of. Ever since I am running more power, the chains are not holding up. I think part of it is the EK chain was a non-oring chain. I have been hearing good things about RK chains. One of the guys I ride with runs a R1 and that is the only one that will hold up for him. ;)