PDA

View Full Version : splitfire spark plug

tj's400ex
03-28-2003, 06:18 AM
Has anyone put one of these in a 400ex? I welcome you opinion.
thanks.:)

YZROOSTINYA
03-28-2003, 07:19 AM
Don't waste your money

northeast400
03-28-2003, 12:04 PM
stay with the stock or go one colder but stay with ngk or honda(same plug)

Ex'r Marlin
03-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Yeah... I did. I put one in when I first got the 400 in April of 1999. It stayed in there with no problems until my mechanic (great friend of mine) removed it around May of 2001.

Since then, I think I have an NGK... No problems with it since.:)

In short, I had no noticeable improvement with it and had no problems with it. The only negative I found is how much they cost.:eek:

BigThumper33
03-28-2003, 01:25 PM
I've heard of the electrods burning off and faling into your cylinder.....ouch! :D

RAPTORAZ
03-28-2003, 02:05 PM
I've been using them in my Raptor and my 400EX for years. Mostly out of convenience. They're about the same price as the NGK's and are more easily attainable. I did not notice any performance gain. However they seem to last a lot longer than the NGK's. I'm using triple platinums. TP416C.

OutlawEX
03-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
Don't waste your money

White_Knuckles
03-28-2003, 07:22 PM
I've heard the same thing from reliable sources with the multiple ground tangs they can break off and land in Mr. Cylinder:eek:

Stick with NGK. A spark plug has a fairly simple task in life and a "high performance" plug is plain marketing.

Guy400
03-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
I've heard of the electrods burning off and faling into your cylinder.....ouch! :D That's EXACTLY what happens. I broke down and bought one for my old '92 LT250R. The quad ran great with some cheap Autolite plug I pulled out of a Chevy 350 cylinder head I had laying in the garage but decided I'd give the Splitfire a chance. I load the quad up, drive to one of our riding spots, install the plug and start the quad up. It starts right up and I let it warm up and we start to go riding. I got about 1/4 mile down the road when the quad just dies like I hit the kill switch. Check the switches first and they're all OK. Pull the plug and the electrode is gone. The plug is a brownish color, bordering on black so I'm a little rich and not running too lean and hot. I screw my Autolite back in and the quad lights first kick. I rode the rest of the summer on that one plug. My Splitfire lasted about 10 minutes and then died. I wrote an email to Splitfire stating my experience and dissatisfaction with their product at such an expensive purchase price. They returned my email telling me to ship it to them and they'd investigate what happened. They didn't offer to buy me a new plug or return my money. Like I'm going to spend more money shipping a junk plug to them for nothing in return. I'll never buy a Splitfire again...

03-29-2003, 04:22 AM
i had one in my 200x i hated it, the only plug for that model had only 1 general heat range and i had a 12:1 piston and it hit the piston:huh