PDA

View Full Version : Heard some bad news for all ATV's on the radio.

danyeo
03-28-2003, 04:40 AM
I was in my car listening to war coverage when they were doing some national news and market updates etc. I was suprised to hear them do a segment on recreational vehicles, i mean you never hear about ATV's on AM radio. The update was reporting that the industry as a whole has been slumping and several companies have reported loses for the past year including Polaris, they didn't mention Cannondale. They reported that post Sept 11th that the recreational industry was booming as families sought distraction from current events and recreational vehicles were a popular way for people to have fun with family and friends. But the past year with a shaky job market and flucuating economy and many in state a worry about job security the industry has been taking a hit. And who knows how much affect this war will have on the industry. I'm sure this will effect Honda in it's decision on it's next high performance quad, if it ever comes out. That was just from what i remember when i was in my car, i may have left out some things, but it's not good news!

Pappy
03-28-2003, 05:11 AM
well the industry has been running wide open for the past 3 or 4 years so a slow down isnt a surprise. i wouldnt expect it to affect us too bad...although it could delay new models being developed over the next 18 months

Moto92
03-28-2003, 06:03 AM
I dont see how they can single out the atv industry as being shaky, its the whole US economy thats been like that sense 9/11.
Last week the stocks were at all time highs though after we started doing some arse kickn in Iraq.

danyeo
03-28-2003, 06:08 AM
I guess compared to the mid 90's we have nothing to complain about. I mean if it was 1996 you had the Banshee, and thats it.
That report was just what i heard, i beleive the ATV industry will be fine since ATV's outsell street and dirt bikes combined! I was just suprised to hear that report on a major AM station.

QuadTrix6
03-28-2003, 10:22 AM
the war should be over soon, hondas huge i doubt it will phase them much :ermm:

Fender Bender
03-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Thats weird, because one of my favorite ATV shops lost alot of business and money and they had to move into a different building. Half of it is a machine shop, and the other half is the Quad part.

cdalejef
03-28-2003, 10:32 AM
The industry is the biggest that I've seen it in 15 years!

Rip_Tear
03-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Its probaly just Polaris and C-Dale... Honda is doing awsome, thats why they don't lower the prices on their stuff... Heck the Honda plant that I worked at 2 weeks ago (a sub job) the guy there said that their plant made over 300 million, in the last quarter (3 months) thats a ton of $$ and thats just one plant!

bsb64
03-28-2003, 11:05 AM
I hate to say it but this could be a blessing in disguise. ATVs are getting so popular, so fast that many riding areas are getting a lot of heat. It wouldn't bother me one bit if half of the riders gave up the sport. Not to mention the bargains you will be able to get when all of these people sell their quads...........

Nausty
03-28-2003, 03:17 PM
around here it seems like mx tracks are popping up everywhere and more atv's are coming out now and i've never seen more of them at the races. Same w/ d bikes.

Glow Plug
03-28-2003, 03:30 PM
i think this could be i good think in one way but a bad noe in others because the atv industy has been growning fast in my oppion way to fast like look at the high tech industy that got to big to fast and no body is intrested in it anymore, so i think the growth has to be gradual like have a period of 4 or 5 years where its starts to get big and then it starts to slow down a bit and then pop's back up again :)

rookiex
03-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Thats pretty funny cuz the other day I heard from a lady who is the leader of the AMA in ohio says that the ATVA is the fastest growning far faster than that of dirt bike........

Striker49
03-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Bad economy my butt. If the economy is so bad, why the heck is Paducah, KY crammed with 30 resturants that are all packed to the brim by 5PM on Saturday nights? :huh
I have yet to figure out why the economy is bad, at least around here. :confused:

SuperEX
03-29-2003, 05:06 AM
Yeah I don't see how they can say the economy is bad, everyone around here is busy shopping, but they're are still lay-off's at our local plants and companies.

jaspurx
03-29-2003, 05:15 AM
i think part of the economy being bad is that there are so maby ways for a stock broker or investment banker to rip people off , and they have done it. nobody trusts them to handle their money!!! that could be a killer on wall street , and it is showing.