PDA

View Full Version : seating a X-6 header question

on z throttle
03-27-2003, 02:37 PM
I have a 2002 400 ex and I put my Sparks
X-6 header. When I took off the stock header I did not see the metal gasket rings. So I put the new rings in, and when I was seating the new header flanges in it seems like there was barly enough stud to tread to. After I tightened them evenly the stud is probley a 1/8 inch from poking through the nuts. There seems to be no leaks but I just wanted to make sure it is done right.:confused:

RAPTORAZ
03-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Sounds like you doubled up on the sealing rings to me. They're hard to see after they've been compressed into the head.

ATVer14
03-27-2003, 03:33 PM
nope, thats how mine is too, and i'm sure the rings wern't doubled up. When you get the new one's from Honda, they're really thick, so your other one's were probably completely crushed and thats why your bolts went on farther with your old pipe. It's normal

lilpoppy
03-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Well if you didn't take any out that means you have two sets in there. They are hard to see because they are made out of copper and when they are installed correctly they are crushed and could probably look like a part of the motor. The new ones should crush just like the old ones which should leave about the same distance on those bolts as there was on the stock headders. I don't know if that would cause a problem because im sure with the new ones in there it wont leak as long as the bolts don't back out.

dhines
03-28-2003, 01:20 AM
Yeah, go back and look again - the originals are almost assuredly in there.

on z throttle
03-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your alls help . I'm going to take the header back off and take a good look. What would be the best and safest way to pull the old gaskets out?

lilpoppy
03-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Just use a screw driver or something with a point and try to just pry it out. It will probably be smashed in there pretty well but it will come lose.

BigThumper33
03-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Mine came out pretty easy with a pocketknife, just get the knife under the edge and you'll do fine.

on z throttle
03-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the help........