View Full Version : Aftermarket shocks my $.02

hawiianpwr
03-27-2003, 02:36 PM
Hey guy I got my Works Triple rate front shocks on and rode the last couple weekends. All I gotta say is they are worth it! The ride is totally different. Anyone looking to do any mods on their quad, Shocks should definetely be the first!I know you guys say works are the low end of the after market shocks but they a 100 times better then the stock shocks. I just can't believe the difference, I can ride faster and in more control than before. You know you can only go as fast as your machines gonna let you! Just thought I'd add my opnion. Thanks:D

Juggalo
03-27-2003, 05:44 PM
i totally agree. i felt the exact same thing when i got my works. now i'm switchin to axis and i hope to be surprised yet again!

RIDER11X
03-27-2003, 06:28 PM
I just got the same works shocks on the front and love them! At 260lb. I would always need to slow down for big hits, but not now.
Everyone puts works shocks down, but the problem is that alot of people order shocks by claiming to be an A class racer, to trail ride with their friends then complain that works made the shocks too stiff. You need to be very honest about your needs and usages for your suspension. I explained what I expected of my shocks and works built me just what I wanted on the first try.

Question: Do you hear your's "topping out" at full extension?

JD400exrider
03-27-2003, 06:34 PM
I am glad to here that. I just received my works shocks today from C&D and now waiting to take her for a spin.

03-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Question: Do you hear your's "topping out" at full extension?

many of the works do that, not sure why but seems the stroke could be longer.

sly400ex
03-28-2003, 04:28 AM
Yes, works to top out, that is very common. I agree with all the other comments about Works suspesion too. I have been 100% happy with them. I have yet to push them. For the aggressive weekend warrior, they are an excellent choice!:D

Str8Wicked
03-28-2003, 05:49 AM
Hey when you guys get triple rate shocks... Is it really worth the money for the resavoirs.. I know the resavoirs mainly act to keep the shock cooler and it holds more fluid and gas....... Works told me unless I'm racing I don't need them.. What has your experiences been with and with out resavoirs...

toby400ex
03-28-2003, 06:15 AM
I know when i get some shocks they will have to hae rezzies. I do race and i notice how horribly the shocks fade by mid race and become useless. How much do they cost from C&D for tiple rates with rezzies. Also can you get works with no preload.:confused:

Str8Wicked
03-28-2003, 06:26 AM
In the dunes I do ride sometimes for hours straight........ Would I need rezzies... I am not doing any series jumping etc...

toby400ex
03-28-2003, 06:34 AM
If you arent flying too much you wont need them. The shocks get hot from constant pounding and it sounds like you arent going to do that.

Juggalo
03-28-2003, 07:12 AM
yeah my works top out like that too..its normal

Str8Wicked
03-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
If you arent flying too much you wont need them. The shocks get hot from constant pounding and it sounds like you arent going to do that.

Cool Cool... That'll save me at least a 100.00

sly400ex
03-28-2003, 11:14 AM
But the $100 bucks extra is just insurance that they won't fade out on you. Better safe than sorry!;)

Dune Surfer
03-28-2003, 11:31 AM
I bought Elka's without rezzis. Better quality shock for about the same price as works with them.

RIDER11X
03-28-2003, 06:35 PM
If in doubt about the need for rezzys, don't get them. You can always have them added later.

hawiianpwr
03-28-2003, 08:18 PM
I agree

400EXrider#91
03-29-2003, 01:15 PM
can you get ZPS on works? i am gonna get pro-series with piggybacks triple rate springs

flying400ex
03-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Yea works makes a stadium series shock which is zero preload. How long did it take you to get your shocks from C&D? I was going to order some stadium series fronts and get and elka rear rebuild and hopefully that will work good and about $1300 in other stuff

03-29-2003, 04:56 PM
But the $100 bucks extra is just insurance that they won't fade out on you. Better safe than sorry!

If you can think of it this way you should get a good idea on what to do. This will be true for anyone looking to upgrade or mod there quad.

If you need to "cheap out" on any part of you machine make sure its not the suspension cause this is with a doubt the most important mod you will make.

That doesnt mean you have to spend X amount or buy a certain brand but before you spend money on other mods just skip those and get the best shocks you or your budget can afford.

Of all the mods and diff stuff I have done to this quad (there are more than a few :) )the suspension has been by far the best investment I have done, period!

JOEX
03-29-2003, 06:24 PM
I still haven't found a definative answer to this question (if there is one)....

Works with rezzies or Elka without?

I know there are variables involved.....
Recreational use...
Racing...
Adding rezzies later...

I'd just like hear some input...

Joe

Dune Surfer
03-30-2003, 04:16 AM
I had the same question. I talked to Jeff at the quadshop, other members , and C&D. They said the Elka's are better because of construction. 5/8 shafts, better springs, ect...

03-30-2003, 04:40 PM
I still haven't found a definative answer to this question (if there is one)....

Nothing is that black and white with suspension. I had tried for months around this time last year to get some kind of comparison info etc and pretty much found that its very diffilcult to do.

A lot of the info you will find is rider preference and many people just have experience with one brand or type of set up etc. and very little is avail from comparison type testing. Actually most of the info I got last year was here say and unfounded opinion and after you weed that stuff out there isnt that much left to consider.

If you are still confused with the info offered chances are you would be quite satisfied with the non rezzy works steelers, and if money is tight then just go for it. If your lucky enough that money isnt a concern then start pricing out the top models from the major shock mfg's and make a decision. No matter if you decide on works or Axis you will be pleased v/s stk and the diff between the major brands performance seems to be hard to "feel" for the less experienced rider.

QuadTrix6
03-31-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by JOEX

Works with rezzies or Elka without?

I know there are variables involved.....
Recreational use...
Racing...
Adding rezzies later...

I'd just like hear some input...

Joe

you WANT rezzies..period but you also want triple rates so if you can't afford both i would wait and keep saving, im a fan of doing things right the first time

03-31-2003, 02:58 PM
you WANT rezzies..period

John thats not 100% true. Why I say that is if look at it that way you want nothing but a long travel (19") set up with a aftermarket longtravel rear. This set up will out perform just getting a set of triple rate front shocks by a lot larger margin than rezz v/s non rezz and even for the weekend warrior etc.

I would suggest getting rezzys to anyone and I also admit it makes a lot more sense to save up the money needed to do your complete suspension, but if thats well out of a riders budget then the basic works steelers will be a big improvment over stk.

If you got the $$$ go full boat you will happier in the long run, but if you cant afford it get what you can for now so you stop beating yourself up.

RIDER11X
04-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Also, it comes down to the purpose the shocks are intended for. When I was racing AX or XC almost every weekend, I was in the market for a top notch shock with rezzys and nothing else. Well, now that I'm a weekend trailrider now, I bought Works w/o rezzies and love them. They never fade probably because we hammer along for 20 minutes or so and stop for a break, and they get to cool for a bit. JMO:cool:

:rolleyes: Yea, my age is showing!:D

phatswinn
04-02-2003, 01:34 PM
but if u ride/race people on the trails for 4 hours straight u need it

RIDER11X
04-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by phatswinn
but if u ride/race people on the trails for 4 hours straight u need it :eek:Mabey that's why I don't need rezzy's, my shocks outlast me!!!! :confused2

REC
04-03-2003, 04:57 AM
I have one weekend on my new works trip rates w/rezzies.
The ride is awesome. Made me realize how clapped out my 1999 stock fronts were. Jumps that were killing me before are not a prob now. I hear mine top out also, I guess this is normal. I weigh 204lbs and had mine set up for a 220lb rider. I would say that I ride pretty agressive, but im not doing 80ft trips either. Definitly would recommend to anyone that is value conscious.
Peace:D