PDA

View Full Version : How to whellie??

Stock 400 rider
03-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Can anybody teach me how to whellie?I have a stock 400 ex but all i can do is whellie in first gear.
How do you whelie like second to third gear?It's impossible!

sprtrx300ex
03-26-2003, 11:38 PM
I find it easier to wheelie in 2nd gear
1. Get going but dont go too fast
2. Jerk yourself back so that u feel like ur gonna slip off the quad
3. While doing this, hammer on the gas and pull back
4. You will feel like ur gonna flip back but you will find a ballance point at which your comfortable.
5. Give it gas to go back farther and press on the rear brake to go forward.

HAVE FUN!

twisted threads
03-26-2003, 11:46 PM
First of all allways were your helmet because you are going to flip over a few times at least I did. When I started to wheelie I used to pick a spot a few yards out and tried to make it to there. After some practice I got better and better, now I can ride one as far as the path in front of me is cleared. But like sprtrx300ex said you need to find the balance spot. Its going to feel like your going to tip over and you will some times but once you learn how to hit the brake really soft to bring you back down you will be fine.

BaD_250ex
03-27-2003, 01:30 AM
YUP......:p

JLanphear
03-27-2003, 01:47 AM
I like 3rd gear the best....drive steady at about 1/4 throttle or so....you wanna be at the base of the power band. Hammer the gas and yank up on the bars and lean back. After observing some other people it appears that it is instict to let off the gas as soon as the tires come off of the ground...don't....stay in the gas until the front end comes way up...the point where you feel that you are about to go over is the balance point. Once you get a feel for things wheelies are incredibly easy. Just takes practice....it's not really something you think about. You're brain will automatically figure out what works and what doesn't with practice...it's almost a natural reaction.

http://pwp.surfglobal.net/jlanphear/CVBZ/Nov0202josh06.jpg

TagRider
03-27-2003, 03:37 AM
I make my fat wife sit on the very back of the quad and I blip the throttle. Her mass makes the front end come up easy and then right when I get to the balance point I boot her off. She wears a helmet:devil

Doibugu2
03-27-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by TagRider
I make my fat wife sit on the very back of the quad and I blip the throttle. Her mass makes the front end come up easy and then right when I get to the balance point I boot her off. She wears a helmet:devil

LMAO:D

sweet300ex
03-27-2003, 07:51 AM
i start from a dead stop on my 300ex in 2nd gear, let out the clutch fast but i dont pop it, and it comes up right to the balance point and i can ride them through 4th gear

Stock 400 rider
03-27-2003, 08:03 AM
sportrax 300 it's just that i can't easily pull the bars up when I'm in the back of the quad. It's not easy like when you are up in your quad like in a jump.
How do I pull the bars up?

Stock 400 rider
03-27-2003, 08:08 AM
J lanfhear tell me how u do that!!!??
I can whelie with my left foot in the grab bar

JLanphear
03-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider
J lanfhear tell me how u do that!!!??
I can whelie with my left foot in the grab bar

Just set up by the tank with your legs over the bars. I do it in 2nd gear.

Once you get the hang of doing wheelies you can do about anything.

http://pwp.surfglobal.net/jmg/CVBz/josh1.jpg

sprtrx300ex
03-27-2003, 09:39 AM
This is what I did when I first started doing them.
I stand up riding in 2nd at about 1/4 throttle like JLanphear said. When I'm ready to pull back, I kind of throw my body to the back of the quad, slam the throttle,pull back, and keep leaning back even if you think ur gonna go back to far. Use your foot to use the rear brake to balance. Just experiment you'll get it.
Also try doing the wheelie with your foot or feet on the grab bar.
To do this, do the same as you would doing a normal wheelie. Idid these kind of wheelies first.

Have fun!

Str8Wicked
03-27-2003, 09:43 AM

To bad you gotta looka t her after thou..... Does she ride in the trailer to holding the quad down so you don't have to strap it... lol

:D :D :D :D :D

300exQuadracer
03-27-2003, 11:07 AM
well you have to get the grab bar perty close to the ground and try to keep your weight as far back as possible, while still holding on, i`m just now getting the one handed wheelies down, an on my buddies 400 i can sit on the bars like JLanphear was doing, its perty easy on a 400

Rip_Tear
03-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Just make sure nothing is going to be in your way, if you can find the balance point in first gear, your only trouble is getting the front end up... just get going, put it in second, and put your left leg on the seat and then pull up.

blastersrule
03-27-2003, 11:18 AM
i have a 400 and i just started holding weelys in sand its pretty easy in 2nd geer but the balance point scares me i just have to stick it out till i get the hang of it i cant wate to be able to hold them for as long as i want they are fun:)

SobeAHonda
03-27-2003, 11:47 AM

My Side hurts ROFL

300EXer
03-27-2003, 12:32 PM
wheelies are hard to get the hang of, but it just takes practice. If you try hard enough you can master them in about a good weekend of riding. I started doing them in 2nd but now i can go from a dad stop in 1st to pinned in fifth.:blah

Nausty
03-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Do you use the clutch to shift gears? I got going last weekend on a perfectly flat field and by the time I got to fourth I had to put it down.

JLanphear
03-27-2003, 02:51 PM
I use the clutch...seems more controlled that way.

Nausty
03-27-2003, 03:03 PM
I use to try to use it with the clutch but now I use it without. Its a lot easier for me.

YLW400
03-27-2003, 03:12 PM
I use the clutch too

roostu
03-27-2003, 03:22 PM
These are fun also....the infamous starty-stopy

roostu
03-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Or this one

~Roost-U

250r/master3
03-28-2003, 02:40 AM
the biggest trick is never let off the gass all the way at least keep 1/4 and play with it to stay up. when i got my 400ex i could not welie but it took me a wile intill i got it right. also try to do it on hills it makes it easyr

JLanphear
03-28-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by 250r/master3
the biggest trick is never let off the gass all the way at least keep 1/4 and play with it to stay up. when i got my 400ex i could not welie but it took me a wile intill i got it right. also try to do it on hills it makes it easyr

Be careful on hills though, the grab bar won't save ya...

josh
03-28-2003, 02:57 AM
i wish i could keep it up 4 as long as i want on my 250x, the only place i really ever try is going around my block, and i don't like to have to yank the clutch on pavement, i have a problem getting the wheels up in first, because i have a 12 tooth sprocket up front and it just doesn't go fast enough in first, plenty in second tho

redrizza
03-28-2003, 03:51 AM
What's a WHELLIE?

Red00Honda400EX
03-28-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
I like 3rd gear the best....drive steady at about 1/4 throttle or so....you wanna be at the base of the power band. Hammer the gas and yank up on the bars and lean back. After observing some other people it appears that it is instict to let off the gas as soon as the tires come off of the ground...don't....stay in the gas until the front end comes way up...the point where you feel that you are about to go over is the balance point. Once you get a feel for things wheelies are incredibly easy. Just takes practice....it's not really something you think about. You're brain will automatically figure out what works and what doesn't with practice...it's almost a natural reaction.

http://pwp.surfglobal.net/jlanphear/CVBZ/Nov0202josh06.jpg

This is the best explanation I've seen posted. It's really easy once you get it at the balance point you can just hold the throttle about 1/4-1/2 and go as far as you want. I had a snowmobile ride next to me this winter and in 4th I went just over a mile on a wheelie and ran out of room because of a turn in the river that I just couldn't make. It's really easy with practice. :cool:

roostu
03-28-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by redrizza
What's a WHELLIE?

LOL

~Roost-U

vtwoodsrider
03-31-2003, 10:01 AM
Who wants to wheelie the front tires?