PDA

View Full Version : 440ex set up that works

duneittilludie
03-26-2003, 03:56 PM
i just thought i would share what works very well on my wifes 440 ex in case anyone is going to build one . keep in mind that this is for sea level up to about 1000 feet.440 kit with white bros rev box/fmf q-muffler and power bomb header/stock air filter with outerwears/mid range cam /powroll vented air box lid/150 main jet.as far as tires go we are running sand only so we have 22" 7 paddle haulers with 22" dune trackers up front with stock gearing.i am sharing this info to try and save anyone who is thinking about a 440 some trouble and time trying to figure all of this out.this 440 will climb steep sand dunes right along side any stock raptor and that is very good performance. in case any one is wondering this set up was sound checked on the oregon dunes last weekend and came in at (90 decibels)which is very quiet .i hope this helps and good luck.

Big - D Racing
03-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Why are you suffocating your engine? Your running the stock filter along with an outerwear! Put a k&N with outerwear or a uni stage II filter and take your lid all the way off. You'll get more air into the engine and a 440 needs more air. Right now your getting less than stock, because of the added outwear. The stock filter also has a screen fiter inside of it. There is probably not the smallest dust fragment in there, but there is also no air in the air. Let the beast breathe! : :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Str8Wicked
03-27-2003, 07:07 AM
Yeah you definitly need an open air box and K&N for that thing... Shoot stock bikes need them let alone a 440.....

That is probably the reason you are only running a 150 main... I run a 165 on my 400 with a K&N, open airbox, and CT slip on pipe... More air needs more fuel.... Throw the open air box and re jet that monster.....

GlamisEXRider
03-27-2003, 07:20 AM
yeah you need more air. I vented mine with 8 1inch holes and my main is at 170. you need more air and bigger jets and a better air filter will= better performance.

duneittilludie
03-27-2003, 02:54 PM
i thought maybe some people would doubt the use of the stock filter and a 150 jet but with the fmf system that we are running a 150 is about as good as is gets. the fmf system with the q-muffler and power bomb header is much more restrictive than most aftermarket set ups but believe me with the right jetting you get very good broad power and very little noise.we have ran my wifes 440 against many other 440s and only a few that were highly modified with a different carb and porting could beat her and then only by a slight margin.i thought i was going to give somebody a good (quiet) set up that is very fast but i can see from the response that i have got so far that it is hard to convince people that you can get very good power with the stock honda filter and the 150 jet .hopefully some of you will try this set up and if you do please let me know how it works for you,i am sure you will be happy with it.any 440 that can hang right in there with a stock raptor is doing very well and i have raced my wife many times when my raptor was stock and i only pulled away after i hit fifth gear.as far as the stock filter goes it breathes more than enough for any 440 set up especially with the( powroll vented lid).

Big - D Racing
03-27-2003, 03:14 PM
I guarantee you can get more power out of that bike with a k&n setup, rejet, and removal of your lid. If those other 440s are out pulling yours do thst, you'll probsbly be able to run even with them then. I know how the fmf quiet works and it would run better with the k&n and still be quiet.

JD400exrider
03-27-2003, 04:01 PM
I would have to agree that you need more air. You might want to look at the FMF web site and there jetting recomendations for the Q muffler. With the stock filter you are there for what you should be jetted for per FMF recomendations 150/152 main

With a K&N though 155-170 main jet That should tell you how much better this motor is going to breathe with a K&N or Uni.
They had no spec for no air filter lid listed. I have heard that cover is supposed to give decent air flow but that stock filter sure could use to be put on the shelf and a better flowing filter installed and rejetted. Who knows your wife may give you a run for your money then ;)

Chef
03-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by duneittilludie
.as far as the stock filter goes it breathes more than enough for any 440 set up especially with the( powroll vented lid).

Well I can guarantee you that its not making its potential power with that stock POS air filter. You get a difference on a stock motor with a K&N, and a 440 moves a ton more air than a stock machine. Horsepower increases are a percentage. 1 hp out of the stock 25 is a 4% increase. If you are getting 35 of out your 440, which I doubt you are, then that 4% increase equals a little more than 2 hp difference...she will notice it, definitely. Quit chokin your motor off...

Bean
03-27-2003, 04:46 PM
an open airbox lid wont add but maybe 2 db's to the sound, and you will gain alot more HP, get a k&n, outerwear, and a lid with then entire middle cut out so just the outline shows, and put an outerwear on the lid, and it will run so much better

since you seem to be living in warmer area, try removing the choke and bumping the pilot up to a 42, and youl get a tid bit more throttle responce to

YZROOSTINYA
03-27-2003, 11:02 PM
the stock air filter is fine, just take out the screen inside it. that what makes it so restrictive.

I run a 155 main in my quad with all my work and its spot on.

I also have a vented lid and K@N/outerwear set up

Chef
03-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Bean
since you seem to be living in warmer area, try removing the choke and bumping the pilot up to a 42, and youl get a tid bit more throttle responce to

Its not much of a warmer area in Eugene Breck...lol

Steven
03-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Mine is a similar set up also at sea level.

I run with three 1" holes in the air box lid and the snorkle off.

The dynojet 175 main works best for me with the K&N filter. A 150 flows very little fuel, so if you are jetteed right then your engine is not getting enough air to maximize efficiency.

If you like the foam filter, UNI makes a nice one.

Dune Surfer
03-28-2003, 02:44 PM
Don't get defensive, The people responding to your post are right and are only trying to help you. Weather you believe it or not you really do need more air. Why don't you try a K&N and bump your jet to the 165-170 range and I'll bet your wife hauls.;)

KandK952
03-28-2003, 04:03 PM
I personally use A twin-air foam filter, an outerwear to keep out water, and no airbox lid. K&N just lets too much dirt in for my liking. And without a lid is definately the ticket if you want all the power you can get. Just make the jetting a little richer and it should be fine as long as you use an outerwear and clean it very often.