PDA

View Full Version : Dynojet Help

SUPERFLY 400
03-26-2003, 02:36 PM
In the dyno jet kit there is a small washer, "E" clip and needle. Does the washer go ontop or below the "E"clip (Needle point will be bottom and grooves top for reference) when installing the needle. Sorry but the instructions are some what worthless. I currently have the small washer ontop of the clip (between clip and notches). I dont know if it should go under the "E"clip (between clip and plate), because while in neutral I snap the throttle from idle to full throttle very quickly and engine hesitates for a couple seconds then accelerates. But if i dont snap the throttle and ease into it the engine reponse great.

It's like on a car and the accelarator diaphram pump goes bad and hesitates at acceleration. I was thinking maybe i installed the washer in the wrong place on my needle. I have the clip the the 4th groove down a 42 pilot. with 2 1/4 tuns out on the mixture screw.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

swamprider7
03-26-2003, 02:42 PM
On my 300ex the washer went on top of the e-clip. The instructions say where it goes. The instructions also tell you what all the settings and sizes should be for your elevation, etc.
Hope that helps.

SUPERFLY 400
03-27-2003, 12:43 PM
If the round washer goes on top of the e-clip. Then i had it right. I don't know why I have that bog or hesitation when snapping the throttle from idle to full thottle very quickly. Any one have this problem or ideas to check??:confused:

hawiianpwr
03-27-2003, 12:53 PM
hey superfly I have almost the same setup and I'm running a 40 pilot and 170mj and its running pretty good.

SUPERFLY 400
03-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Hey Hawiian where in Ne. you from? I had a 40 pilot but its been a b1tch to first start when cold. The 42 is great, don't hardly have to choke it. sometimes i do run the 170mj. I might have to recheck all my vent tubes. I wonder if it has something to do on the side of the carb, behind the black cover (dont know what it is called) but it has something to do with air-fuel synchro...

chad400ex
03-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Well...in the dynojet instructions, they tell you to use the stock needle. I use the stock needle on mine and it works great. I've got the washer ontop and use the 158 dynojet main jet. I also have the fuel/air screw out 2.5 turns as said in the supplied instructions. I'm actually a bit rich on the low end, but it is perfect from mid to top.

SUPERFLY 400
03-27-2003, 01:26 PM
When i got the powerkit the dynojet came with its own needle and jets. I believe that the dyno jets and dyno needle are a matched set. In other words the tapper on the needle is matched to the dyno jets. If you use the kein needle with dyno jets you may not get the proper response. But what do i know i'm the one with carb issues...your kit should have come with a new dyno needle. They look the same to the eye, but never the less i replaced the parts with the new ones in the kit;)

hawiianpwr
03-27-2003, 01:36 PM
I live in Omaha too. Hey did you turn your fuel mixture screw out 3.5 turns? And is your air filter clean? Where do you ride at around hear?

SUPERFLY 400
03-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Hey Hawaiin, my filter is clean, my mixture screw is turned out 2 1/4 turns.
I ride around my house, a farmer sold alot of land to some developer and land has not been touched. So the way i see it is free land
:D :D I also ride at the mormon bridge but its very muddy, so i stay on the high ground til it drys out some. Have you been to headworks park in Genoa? where do you ride??

hawiianpwr
03-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey I would try 3.5 turns and see what happens. How does it ride other than that? I ride mostly at my girlfriends aunts place out in Kenard. It fun farm land all around and we made trails and jumps in the woods area. And I've riddin at the Mormon also. Actually I'm going out there this Sunday. I'm going to go to Genoa this summer.

SUPERFLY 400
03-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Hawaiin if you want to hook up just PM me

GrounD PoundeR
03-27-2003, 02:32 PM
I have not had any problems with mine. Cant see why you having problems. We had them setup the same except for the pilot. Well that is before I tore it apart.:D I also took the choke out so I'm hoping that will give me a little extra boost.

hawiianpwr
03-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Sounds good superfly. Hey ground punder I took my choke out. You can tell very little performance but everylittle bit counts. Starting is pretty easy. I just pump the gas 5 times and she usually starts right up

Heres my setup if your wondering
2000 400ex
No airbox lid
No choke
40 pilot, 170 dynojet mainjet, fuel mixture screw out 3.5 turns
K&n w/prefilter
Sparks degree key (soon to come out)
FMF Powercore 4
MSD Ignition
Wheel spacers up front
Works triple rate shocks up front
Azonic handlebars
20" Shredders

GrounD PoundeR
03-28-2003, 05:52 AM
Thats what I heard. What did you use to plug the hole? People said silicon but if you read the fine print they tell not to be used where it will come in contact with gasoline.

gojk
03-28-2003, 06:14 AM
Mine did the same thing with the dynojet kit. Just lean out the needle one notch and it fixed that. Their settings they give you are really rich.

SUPERFLY 400
03-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Hey grounded, I got the 42 pilot now. starts easy and dont take long before it will idle on its own.

hawiianpwr
03-28-2003, 08:21 PM
I used silicon to plug the holes. There holding up fine for me

GrounD PoundeR
03-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Okay I was wondering. What brand did you get and does it say not to use where it will come in contact with gasoline?

hawiianpwr
03-29-2003, 03:58 AM
I just used Red Devil Architectural 100% silicone. It doesn't say say anything about not using it around gas.

GrounD PoundeR
03-29-2003, 05:00 AM
Okay then cuz the ones I was looking at were for liquid gaskets and high temp. I'll have to check that out. From what I know I would still think gas will eventually eat through a silicone based product.

Hoodeye3
03-29-2003, 07:42 AM
Run down to your local Napa parts store or any decent auto store and grab ya some small carb vacuum caps, They will fit perfect and you will never have to worry about your silicone plug coming free! Looks nice and clean.

GrounD PoundeR
03-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Thanx, I'll be heading down to the auto parts to grab one.

Poyntman400ex
03-30-2003, 03:23 AM
I am following the Stage one instructions for the Dynojet kit. I took out the factory main jet and on the side, it read 148. Does that mean that it was a 148 main. The instructions that came with the Dynojet kit said to replace the stock with a 146 main. Also do you have to remove the whole carb to do these adjustments? I haven't touched the Pilot, I have no clue what size it is or anything. I'm running a 400ex with a WB R4 slip-on and a WB foam Powerfilter, air box lid on.

hawiianpwr
03-30-2003, 04:07 AM
The jet numbers on the dynojets are different than the stock ones. I think one go to the stage two kit in my opinion since your have an aftermarket pipe. I would also go without the lid that really makes a difference.

300EXrider02
03-30-2003, 04:29 AM
what is the point of the waher in the dyno kit going above the e-clip?? there is no point at all is there?

SUPERFLY 400
03-30-2003, 04:34 AM
Poyn: Like Hawaiin said go with the stage 2 setup (big difference in power gains). Make sure you use the dynojet adapter that came in the kit. Since kein jets and dyno jets are different. I had to take my carb off (I left the trottle cable on and swung the carb off the quad). On my kit it came with a needle, eclip, washer, adapter and assorted jets. My advice is that since you have the carb off, go buy a 40 or 42 pilot if you dont already have one. The stock pilot is a 38. The numbers are stamped on the side of the pilot jet. You will need to remove the pilot to see the number. Once you have everything in the carb you want. You can put your carb on your quad and if you ever want to change main jets you DON'T need to take your carb off again just remove the pug on the bottom center of the fuel bowl. I have a 90 degree screw driver to make removing the jets and adjusting fuel screw easier. Changing pilot jet you need to remove carb.

Poyntman400ex
03-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the advise Superfly. but I ride mostly trail and I don't want water or fine dust to go in the engine. What will I gain with a 40 or 42 Pilot? Just curious.

SUPERFLY 400
03-30-2003, 02:11 PM
a 40 or 42 will make a huge difference in starting it. I dont even use my choke with the 42 pilot. Also you will have more low end power with the bigger pilot. Since you have the carb off, go ahead and put the bigger pilot. I'd go with the 40 if your going to keep your air box lid on. otherwise 42 is the way to go. The pilotjet usually are about $5. So its not a big ballbuster to the wallet;)

Poyntman400ex
03-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.