PDA

View Full Version : dsl question

MOUSE
03-26-2003, 01:49 PM
im getting dsl service tommorow and wanted to know with the dsl modem hooked up to the computer what do i need to be able to play my playstion online and take advantage of the speed of the dsl. with what little i know about this stuff i am thinking i would need a router??? to be able to do this. any info ar suggestions on this will be appreciated thanks

MOUSE
03-26-2003, 02:30 PM
:muscle:

crap-banshee32
03-26-2003, 02:41 PM
u need a router if u want to do them both at the same time!!!

u need a network adaptor($40) for your ps2 to be able to play online!!

p@iNn3ck
03-26-2003, 02:42 PM
OK, dialup "forever" where I live, but let me give it a shot. Assuming first that you have the Sony NIC in the PS2. If your dsl modem has a built in switch (4 LAN ports on back) you can just plug a network cable from the PS2 to the modem. If not, your modem might have only 1 LAN or WAN port. You can connect a cable from this port to the WAN port on a router. You will probly have to connect a pc to a LAN port on the router to configure it with the specs for your DSL service (DHCP, etc.) I believe there is also a setup disc for the PS2 to configure IP, etc. If your dsl modem is a USB connection it may be tougher, but I think you can configure the PC to share its network connection, use a 2nd nic and connect it to a switch/router then connect the PS2 to it.

These should help:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Installation/networkadaptor/415013905.asp

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/installation/networkadaptor/D008697.asp#P37_3538

SGA
03-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by p@iNn3ck
OK, dialup "forever" where I live, but let me give it a shot. Assuming first that you have the Sony NIC in the PS2. If your dsl modem has a built in switch (4 LAN ports on back) you can just plug a network cable from the PS2 to the modem. If not, your modem might have only 1 LAN or WAN port. You can connect a cable from this port to the WAN port on a router. You will probly have to connect a pc to a LAN port on the router to configure it with the specs for your DSL service (DHCP, etc.) I believe there is also a setup disc for the PS2 to configure IP, etc. If your dsl modem is a USB connection it may be tougher, but I think you can configure the PC to share its network connection, use a 2nd nic and connect it to a switch/router then connect the PS2 to it.

See? Its simple:) .......:confused:

crap-banshee32
03-26-2003, 02:52 PM
hahah yeah, real simple

MOUSE
03-26-2003, 02:57 PM
great googily moogily :eek2:

ok i have no idea what half of what you said meens.

but i will give some more detail. the room we use for the office is way down the hall from where the playstation is setup. also my dsl modem is connected to the ethernet connection on my computer. i have the network adapter on my playstation so i can play online. my question is do i have to have something connecting the playstation to the dsl modem to play online with my ps2, such as a wireless router?

i hope that made sense :huh

batgeek
03-26-2003, 03:17 PM
yes you can use a wireless router, but i would suggest a straight up ethernet router.

if you are going to play against other people online, you dont want any latency(time for the ethernet packet to get from point A to point B) using wireless will add to that time.

if you want to use wireless later on, you can just get a wireless access point to plug into a port on your router.

oh, i use a Linksys BEFSR41. port 1 LINUX box, ports 2&3 gaming PCs(on Win XP), port 4 PS2.

MOUSE
03-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
yes you can use a wireless router, but i would suggest a straight up ethernet router.

if you are going to play against other people online, you dont want any latency(time for the ethernet packet to get from point A to point B) using wireless will add to that time.

if you want to use wireless later on, you can just get a wireless access point to plug into a port on your router.

ok ....... now with a ethernet router how do i get that to the dsl modem without runing a line all the way down my hall ?? or do i need to hook it straight to the dsl modem??

MOUSE
03-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by batgeek

oh, i use a Linksys BEFSR41. port 1 LINUX box, ports 2&3 gaming PCs(on Win XP), port 4 PS2.

jesus christ i must be living in the stone age

p@iNn3ck
03-26-2003, 03:28 PM
like I said, never had broadband, so never "actually done this", but..... Is there only 1 port on the dsl modem (where the cable plugs into it from the pc)? If it only has 1 port there, you would probly need to connect a router in there. I think the second link I gave you should show this. The router will have more "LAN ports" This will allow you to connect more equipment to your dsl connection ie your ps2 or another pc. <<Not sure how all DSL services work as far as assigning multiple ip's on a single connection, but should all be able to accept dhcp except for the dsl modem.>>

Since your PS2 is in another room.... how do you feel about running CAT5 cable? If you're in MO I might be able to help you out with it, just like puttin in another phone drop.... if not, I would suggest a wireless router or WAP. I've heard good things about the D-Link wireless eqpt. Or just make a long cat5 extension cable and hope no one trips on it.:D

p@iNn3ck
03-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by MOUSE
jesus christ i must be living in the stone age

YOU??? see what I mean super-slow dialup here (21.2Kbps):o :scary:

batgeek
03-26-2003, 03:39 PM
dsl modem--->router--->computer
|------>PS2 adapter

i would keep the modem and router in the same room, then run the ethernet cables from the router to the peripherals in the other rooms.

dsl modem--->wireless router---/ /computer
|------------/ /PS2 adpater

this is a nice setup if you go wireless router

dsl modem--->router--->computer
|------->wireless access point---/ /wireless modem card--->PS2 adapter

this is a high cost set up, but has teh most versatility. you will get latency on your PS2 in this setup.

SGA
03-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by p@iNn3ck
YOU??? see what I mean super-slow dialup here (21.2Kbps):o :scary:
21.2K You are kidding, right?
I have 56K, would like to have DSL or cable, but i'm not shelling $50 a month for it!

MOUSE
03-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I have 56K, would like to have DSL or cable, but i'm not shelling $50 a month for it!

around here 56 is 29.95/month and dsl is 49.95/ month ill give another 20 a month to be able to play games without lag and wait forever for pages to load, the lag in 56 around here is unbelevable

KJ#14
03-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by MOUSE
im getting dsl service tommorow and wanted to know with the dsl modem hooked up to the computer what do i need to be able to play my playstion online and take advantage of the speed of the dsl. with what little i know about this stuff i am thinking i would need a router??? to be able to do this. any info ar suggestions on this will be appreciated thanks

All ya need is a $30 dollar Netgear hub. That is how I have my (2) computers and my PS2 hooked up. Works like a champ. My wife can be surfing online and talking on the phone while I'm playing ATV Fury online. You do have to run a Cat5 cable from your PS2 modem to the hub. My PS2 is in the Basement so I had to do some "fun" wiring to get it upstairs to my Hub. I have Verizon DSL and they do not care how many ISP addresses you have.........but if your provider does you might have a problem seting it up. GOOD LUCK

KJ

p@iNn3ck
03-27-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by SGA

I wish I was kidding, 56K modems on both sides, but crappy lines and old co eqpt mean low connection speeds, and thats what I connected at last night..... only other thing available to us is DirecTVDSL, but thats $$ and a pain. One of these days the telco overhead lines are gonna come down though, and hopefully they'll replace it not me!

TheChknhwk
03-27-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by KJ#14
All ya need is a $30 dollar Netgear hub. That is how I have my (2) computers and my PS2 hooked up. Works like a champ. My wife can be surfing online and talking on the phone while I'm playing ATV Fury online. You do have to run a Cat5 cable from your PS2 modem to the hub. My PS2 is in the Basement so I had to do some "fun" wiring to get it upstairs to my Hub. I have Verizon DSL and they do not care how many ISP addresses you have.........but if your provider does you might have a problem seting it up. GOOD LUCK

KJ

If you get an ethernet router, linksys is cheap but effective enough, it can do private ip addressing on the ethernet side (your house) of things & you can hook up several devices if you have a hub behind the linksys. You could use a wireless hub & network cards, but I do not know the network capabilities of the ps2, so my guess is that you will have to run cat5 ethernet cable between the 2 devices. Wireless ethernet is not a latency prone connection since it is wave type signaling & not like a satellite connection. It is however not a secure connection, unless the device is encrypting the packets, blah, blah, blah... nevermind

breadman400ex
03-27-2003, 07:25 AM
<------------ Finally got DSL a few months ago....:D :D :D :D