PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asap!!! Please

Daredevil1
03-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Ok heres the deal, I just bought a used set of Lonestar 250R a-arms and was told they would bolt right up. Well i got them here, put in the balljoints and greased the bushings, held them up to the frame and the mount isnt wide enough to fit the black bushings and the main bushing is too long. The 400ex mount is as wide as the end of the a-arms are. So I figure if I just buy some urethane washers that are real skinny (for either side of the a-arm mount) and cut off the end of the main bushing so it is short enough it will work. But are there any other ways to do this that im missing? I need to have the whole bike together by the end of the day saturday, so i need help fast because it is only a frame sitting there. Thanks a lot

Adam

Daredevil1
03-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Nobody? I did some searching and some people have said to cut the bushings and some said to cut the a-arms at the mount so they arent too wide. Which way is the best route to take? Im thinking the cutting the a-arms but i didnt really want to go there.

Jnine
03-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Hello:

The A-arm mounts from the 400EX and 250R are both 200mm from center to center, but the frame mounts on the 250R are 52mm inside of mount to inside of mount, and the 400EX frame is 44mm inside of frame to inside of frame mount. If you are REALLY lucky whoever made the A-arms will have compensated for that, and you will only have to cut down the pivot sleeve & bushings. If you are not so lucky you will have to shave off the part welded to the A-arms too. Heres a rough calculation for you.

Your total length of steel bushings to fit inside the 400EX frame mount should be 1.732". If your plastic or nylon pivot bushing has a .125" shoulder, considering each end of each pivot point has a shoulder, the length of the steel part welded to the rest of the A-arm should be about 1.46" That will leave you .010" each side for clamping and pivot rotation.

Heres the equation:
Total Length of steel sleeve = 1.732
- Bushing shoulder = .125" ea X 2 = .25
- .010 extra each side X 2 = .020
-----------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL LENGTH of PART WELDED
TO A-ARM = 1.462

I really hope you only need to modify the pivot sleeves and bushings. Remeber, if your bushings have a thicker shoulder you will have to put that number in the equation instead of the .125" I used. Also, if you have to cut down the sleeve welded to the rest of the a-arm, you will have to take an equal amount off each side of every A-Arm. With the right tools and a little time you can do it.

wyndzer
03-26-2003, 12:56 PM
John, I for one appreciate the fact that you visit the sites and are willing to share your knowledge with us. Keep up the good work!! Buy ARENS!

Jnine
03-26-2003, 02:29 PM
No problem on the help. Believe me, I've gone over those dimensions so many times I know them by heart.

I hope he can get it to work for him. It can definitley work, but it might be a little tricky.

Talk to you later!

Daredevil1
03-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Wow, i cant thank you enough jnine. I hope it works out, i hate to take the a-arms freshly powdercoated to the grinder!:eek:

Jnine
03-26-2003, 04:22 PM
No Problem.

I was wondering if you had them powdercoated also. If you have to take material off it is definitely going to screw up the powdercoat. Maybe instead of grinding try a thin cutoff wheel on a disc sander type of tool. They cut pretty clean, although you will still have a powdercoat problem.