PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Thickness

GrounD PoundeR
03-26-2003, 03:25 AM
I ordered a piston kit and am trying to figure out what thickness of gaskets I will need for a 10.5:1 compression on my 400ex. I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-26-2003, 04:03 AM
If you are wanting to stay at that compression then you can use regular gaskets I believe they are a .043 thickness or if you want a little more compression they use a steel flex head gasket .025

Steve-o 400EX
03-26-2003, 04:23 AM
I am putting the XR head gasket in when i do my 416 in a week or 2. It is thinner and will up the compression by like .2.

GrounD PoundeR
03-26-2003, 06:08 AM
The piston kit sent to me was a 10:1and I am trying to get it to 10.5:1 or a little more if possible and still maintain valve clearance.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-26-2003, 06:53 AM
What brand of piston is it? Wiseco?

GrounD PoundeR
03-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Yes it is a Wiseco piston.

GrounD PoundeR
03-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know? I've hear they make a .010 thickness. I was not sure if that is to small or what.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-26-2003, 11:58 AM
I do know that the wiseco compressions are not correct. I over heard Colby talking to a piston company yesterday and they said a 10.1 wiseco is pretty close to the stock compression..

Steven
03-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Run Cometics .012 base gasket and thier .025 head gasket. That will bump your compression sufficiently.

stock is .020 base and .043 head

the gaskets will get you .025 less clearance and maybe 1/2 point of compression

Houser Cannondale
03-26-2003, 03:30 PM
does anybody know what kind of compression increase you get if you leave the base gasket out? i am getting a 305 kit for my 300ex at 11:1 compression and i was wondering if i could leave my base gasket out and gain a little more compression.

GrounD PoundeR
03-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Well I guess thats about the best I can get is half a point thats what I'll do. I can believe I'm going through this crap. I dont see myself ordering a another piston kit from TC again thats for sure. Maybe a great engine builder, but.....I better just end it there.

dhines
03-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by GrounD PoundeR
I dont see myself ordering a another piston kit from TC again thats for sure. Maybe a great engine builder, but.....I better just end it there.

:)

ChadEXer
03-27-2003, 05:31 AM
Have you even talked to Tom yet. I seriously doubt he would lie about what compression piston he is sending you. Im going to try to call him in a bit to talk about alky in my bike and Ill see what he says. There is going to be hundreds of trick bikes racing at Gator this weekend. All the RV spots were filled up 2 weeks ago!! They even want me to help maintain the tracks this weekend too.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-27-2003, 05:44 AM
Wiseco has a major problem with there comp ratios and will not fix them. there 11:1 piston is more like 10:1 and their 10:1 is just about stock. People argue all the time about this one but if you compare a ross or je 10:8 to 1 piston to a wiseco 11:1 to 1 you will laugh at the difference the wiseco is a flat top with no more dome than stock and the other two have a nice dome that makes up there added comp. The wiseco is still a good piston its just that you are not getting what you really wanted.:)

Hoodeye3
03-27-2003, 06:32 AM
So if you toss a J.E. or Ross piston in using (this is important) -stock gasket sizes B-.025, H.043 you should get the advertised compression ratio! Is this correct?

GrounD PoundeR
03-27-2003, 06:34 AM
Hey Chad I'm not trying to down the guy but when I read the number stamped into the piston and they tell me the compression is 10:1 then you tell me how TC can say its a 10.5:1. I'll Tell you this I should be able to use factory gaskets .043 and it should be 10.5:1. I'm going to try to get a hold of Tom to find out what size gaskets he tells me to use. Well put it on a compression tester and then we will see, but I cant see how you would modify them.

ChadEXer
03-27-2003, 09:04 AM
You wont be able to tell the compression of the piston by using a compression tester!! It will tell you the psi your motor is putting out but not the actual compression of the piston itself. Why dont you just send the piston kit back to Tom and get you a JE or Ross piston??

gojk
03-27-2003, 09:19 AM
My WISECO has a pretty good dome on it. Everyone says that the compression problems are only with the 440 pistons. But mine says 11:1 and I think it is pretty close.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-27-2003, 09:28 AM
hoodeye. You are correct if you put one of the Ross or the JE pistons in with stocks gaskets it will be the comp that they advertise.:)

GrounD PoundeR
03-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Let me put like this when I buy something I expect it to be what I was told it would to begin with. I have not talked to Tom yet but I'm going to find out what the deal is with the piston kit. Its bad enough that he argued with me about when Fedex was going to deliver the darn thing after I already talked to them. If my wife didnt send the camshaft to him I just may do that if he dont tell me what fairy dust he sprinkled on the piston to give it an extra .5 compression to what the thing is stamped with. What I dont understand is why you keep taking up for him when I'm having him tell me one thing and end up with another. Cant order my gasket because I dont know what size to get cuz I cant get a hold of him on the phone. Take off work early to wait for delivery for something that dont show up. As for me waiting untill the last minute like you keep telling me well I think I could of had a kit from C&D, Marcums.....or by a chicken laying one. I'm glad he did a good job on your engine and others, but that is still no excuse. I think legally speaken selling a product and saying it is something else is called fraud. Just let it go. I ordered parts they didnt come when I was told nor where they what I was told its that simple.

ChadEXer
03-27-2003, 10:50 AM
I just heard Toms in VA for round 2, wont be in until Monday.

Dune Surfer
03-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Don't worry Ground, Anytime someone has a problem with TC Chad slips into his super tom brown noser suit and comes to his rescue:D Tom has a good rep as a builder but I agree with you his atitude and customer service has something to be desired. (easy chad don't blow a gasket):p I suggest buying from C&D. They have great service and seem to really care about your needs.
I am using a Ross piston I bought from them and I am very happy.

ChadEXer
03-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Jason, dont pay any attention to Dune Surfer, hes just mad because were going to make your TC 425 faster than his bike :eek: Like Ive told you before, Tom does have a few customer service issues, but if you want the best motors built you have to put up with it. Now most people whine and cry about it and end up with a *****ty motor, like Dune Surfer, but dont worry man everything is going to be OK. Well get you up and running and spank some 440 *****. I put up with Tom, and now you know why!! You told me you wanted to build your motor and I told you I knew people and would be glad to help you with it and I have been. I just wish I would have ordered the piston kit from Tom, I agree with Tom about the 425 over the 440, but I think we should have went a little higher on the compression, no matter what he says, and the reason is because You told him you want a XC machine, you dont want to run high compression in a XC machine and thats why he told you to go to a lower compression. I told him "drag bike" from day one and thats why I have a high compression piston in my bike.

Now you need to start saving up for the complete makover,,,powdercoating, plastic, the whole nine yards;)

ChadEXer
03-27-2003, 01:12 PM
I want to apoligize to everyone for me taking offense to bad things towards Tom. You all have your right to share your transactions with Tom. Its just that I had Tom build my complete motor and I have NEVER seen and didnt even think it was possible for a 400EX to run like mine does. I even had a few issues with Tom myself, but hey, to me it was worth dealing with it to get what I got. Tom told me 6 weeks and took 8 MONTHS, then he said he would have it to me by the end of XX week and it was 3 weeks later when I got it,,,but if i go to build another motor, you can bet your ***** it will be sent to TC Racing..

GrounD PoundeR
03-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Hey I'm not here to nail him to the wall. I'm wanting to know what size gaskets I'll need to get my 10.5:1. This is getting a little out of hand about name blasting the guy. I agree that TC can build engines. I'm building my quad though not him so I need to find out some details that I wasn't informed of like how to make a 10:1 piston to a 10.5:1. I think the solution is to go .012 main gasket and .024. I'm hoping this will work. If anyone knows I would appreciate the help.

Dune Surfer
03-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Hmm six weeks quote takes eight months and your still kissing his arse. And then didn't it blow up. I think most people would be really pissed. Face it the guy has no people skills. Why do you spend so much time defending this guy? Every post that says anything about tom you have to dive in. What the heck is up with that? I think there is something strange going on here:p I don't care if you have the fastest quad ever built. If I'm giving a company my hard earned $$$ I expect good service and attitude. It must be love:blah If you would have ordered it from C&D Colby would have told you what the compression really is and would have helped you make an informed decision. Oh no toms much to busy. Drag queen:huh

Dune Surfer
03-27-2003, 03:16 PM
OK drag queen was a little over the top, Sorry chad but come on dude. six weeks = eight months. Hmmmmmmmm

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Well my deal is I am a "drag racer" You have to have the fastest motor to win. I wasnt going to achieve that by building it myself. The 8 months it took worked out in my favor so it didnt make me mad, gave me plenty of time to buy and build the rest of the quad. About the time I was ready for the motor Tom was done with it. And no my motor didnt blow up, I didnt set the carb up like I was supposed to, didnt break it in, and took it strait to Little Sahara and put it on the drag strip first thing,,,,I was lucky a head gasket was all I messed up,,,and guess what, even though it was my fault Tom fixed it for free(and even threw me a free throttle cable in the box when he sent it back!!!!) I agree his people skills are weak, but to me his motor building skills make up for it. And I totally understand that Jason gets upset when he orders a 10.5:1 piston and gets a box with 10.1 marked out and 10.5:1 wrote in ink over it. I would be pissed too, but I would give Tom the chance to explain himself first. Now Dune Surfer saying that "TC sucks" because you ordered a throttle cable and it took a while to get it,,,well what kind of dumb***** would order a throttle cable from one of the busiest engine builders in the country?? Grow up man:rolleyes: Thats why your thread got locked:eek:

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 03:09 AM
<-------Hey Dune, is that title better? I think so.

knighttime
03-28-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Well my deal is I am a "drag racer"

I didnt set the carb up like I was supposed to, didnt break it in, and took it strait to Little Sahara and put it on the drag strip first thing,,,,I was lucky a head gasket was all I messed up

LMFAO, your engine will never perform to its maximum potential.

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
LMFAO, your engine will never perform to its maximum potential.
How do you figure peewee, Tom put a complete new top end on it:eek:

knighttime
03-28-2003, 04:01 AM
How do you figure peewee, Tom put a complete new top end on it:eek:

lmfao :eek2:

UglyMotha™
03-28-2003, 04:14 AM
i have to admit chad does make all the tom posts more interesting:huh

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 04:27 AM
OK OK, you are all right. TC Racing sucks, and if I was you I wouldnt buy anythign from him,,,,See you at the drag strip:eek:

UglyMotha™
03-28-2003, 04:29 AM
i got no beef with tc he's good the only thing find humerous is you have 3000 some post and 2000 of them are spent arguing with people about tc:huh

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
i got no beef with tc he's good the only thing find humerous is you have 3000 some post and 2000 of them are spent arguing with people about tc:huh
Nah, I had 2000 posts before I even had my 505 built! Ive been on this site for a long time, and try to help people as much as I can.

knighttime
03-28-2003, 04:33 AM
Nah, I had 2000 posts before I even had my 505 built! Ive been on this site for a long time, and try to help people as much as I can.

:confused: :huh

Steve-o 400EX
03-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Alright guys, lets give Chad a break. If I had my motor built like he did I would have done the same thing. Good things take time. Would you want it done in 6 weeks and half assed as hell or 8 months and done perfect?? He's just defending someone who has done a lot for him and I would too. Plus his 505 will smoke any other 400ex on this site.:eek2:

Take it easy on him.;) He's been around more than all you guys posting against him.

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Thanks man! The funny thing is that people flame me for taking up for Tom just as much as I do them for putting him down. but they just dont see it that way. Tom has built the fastest damned 400EX motor I have ever seen, not to mention fixed it for free when I messed it up, payed for the shipping and gave me a few other things I needed at no charge, and helped me out quite a few other times. And its funny how 100 people will buy from TC and you hear 2 or 3 people who say he "sucks", but whatever happens to the other 97-98 people you didnt hear from. Only the bad things get spoken up for. Before I sent my motor out I done extensive research on ALL engine builders and even called them all. After all that research and up till now I have 2 bad things about Tom, he took a while to get Dune Surfer his throttle cable, and sent Ground Pounder a piston that was supposed to be 10.5:1 but had 10:1 on the box. If thats the only mistakes hes made all this time, then he doesnt seem so bad to me. Tom doesnt sponsor me, matter of fact he wouldnt even give me a discount on his pipe after $3,000 of motor work, come out to the drag strip and you will see why I take up for Tom so much,,,Ground Pounder will tell you, he has seen it run...

monkeyboy
03-28-2003, 05:33 AM
POS

SlapNutz
03-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
POS

tomC, chade, or 05bike?

when cuzs frend read this he said chader talks lik his braggin, and why donnt we see trofies an winns, then he saaid hoo cares causse he saidd chad is xxajerating it all. and cuzs freinds a DOC, who helpped monckyboy get fixed up.:mad: :macho

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 07:05 AM
For some reason the users Knighttime, monkeyboy, and Slapnuts all come from the same IP address:rolleyes:

03-28-2003, 07:07 AM
i checked and they are different.:confused:

and how can you see IP's....only mods can???:confused:

But the three names you mentioned are a group of tards if ya ask me.....:eek:

Castor-426ex
03-28-2003, 07:11 AM
how are you checking the IP chad?

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 07:24 AM
I was just guessin;) Cause like Rico says, they are all a bunch of retards!!
Just to give you guys an idea of how fast my bike is,,,well Cody Jordans TC 490 EX runs the 300ft in 4.7 sec. The only difference in his bike and mine is his is lowered, he even runs nerf bars and stuff which I dont to save weight. So you figure 15 more cc's, and when I get my extremely light lowering shocks(Marvin Shaws) and put mine on alky what its going to do? Just to let you know the Texas Sand Drags record by a quad with an actual ATV motor is 4.24 sec,,,thats by the complete drag framed Brooks 439 T-Rex Banshee on alcohol. Now can Tom build a motor??
Oh yeah, heres you a pic of my first trophy too. Cant read it well but it says Fun Wheeler Drag Races,,,1st place

knighttime
03-28-2003, 07:32 AM
lmfao, nice trophy, the engraving looks real nice :ermm:

ChadEXer
03-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
lmfao, nice trophy, the engraving looks real nice :ermm:
That I have to agree with,,,my camera makes it look real chitty!!:o

03-28-2003, 12:08 PM
That I have to agree with,,,my camera makes it look real chitty!!:o

it takes a poor and retarded man to blame his ecuipment, J/K but maybe you have it on manual focus so you gotta focus yourself? but i have my 1:1 wiseco piston here that cracked in half, sitting right next to my stocker and it has quite a bit of dome if you ask me

03-28-2003, 12:08 PM
please buy a new camera:p

GrounD PoundeR
03-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Hey start a thread on TC or Sparks. I was wanting to know gasket size to increase compression. I'm feeling alot of anger out there. :devil As for what Irdrider1 said I'm hoping he is right I've heard to many bad things about Wiseco not being the compression they say they are.

Steve-o 400EX
03-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by lrdrider1
it takes a poor and retarded man to blame his ecuipment, J/K but maybe you have it on manual focus so you gotta focus yourself? but i have my 1:1 wiseco piston here that cracked in half, sitting right next to my stocker and it has quite a bit of dome if you ask me

The dome of that piston has no where near the dome on a 10.8:1 JE or Ross. You can really see a dome on them, it sticks up like 5/8 of an inch. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Leo
03-29-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
hoodeye. You are correct if you put one of the Ross or the JE pistons in with stocks gaskets it will be the comp that they advertise.:)

I don't know about Ross, but I know the JE ratings are in XR trim (w/ the thinner XR headgasket).. My JE piston even said XR on the box, so I doubt it would be 10.5:1 in an EX with the thicker gasket..

Easy enough to rectify.. XR gasket ;)

Of course that was a year and a half ago when I ordered my piston.. It's possible that they've changed the way they package / describe their pistons.

Leo

GrounD PoundeR
03-29-2003, 04:31 AM
Ya there is hardly any dome with the Wiseco piston and its 10:1. I was told it was going to be a 10.5:1. I've been thinking about going with a .012 size gasket for the main and a .024 for the head. I would try a .012 for the head but I'm not sure if that will cause any problems.

ChadEXer
03-31-2003, 03:00 AM
I think you should send Tom his piston back and get a JE 11.1 or 11.5:1 piston. I dont understand why you want to make such a big deal and go through so much trouble?? Just send it back, it wasnt what you wanted in the first place. Your porting\polishing, and boring is done! He called me around 9pm on Sat on my cell and just finished.

03-31-2003, 01:22 PM
hey chad, isnt this your quad

ChadEXer
04-01-2003, 03:38 AM
No, thats Cody Jordans TC 490EX. Mine is the white TC 505EX.

Steve-o 400EX
04-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Hey Chad, can you post a pic of urs, its been a while since I seen it?:D

ChadEXer
04-01-2003, 04:45 AM
Heres the last pic of it this way,,next time you see it, it will look different:D

Steve-o 400EX
04-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Man that thing is sweet. :eek2: :cool:

ChadEXer
04-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Thanks man. Its being lowered and going on alcohol now! But here real soon it will probably be on a complete drag frame! I think Im going to have a ghost custom painted on my plastic and call it Casper!:p

04-01-2003, 06:42 AM
I don't know about Ross, but I know the JE ratings are in XR trim (w/ the thinner XR headgasket).. My JE piston even said XR on the box, so I doubt it would be 10.5:1 in an EX with the thicker gasket..

The newer ross 440 pistons (I think J&E is selling exclusive thru WB now on the 440) are correct for the ex. and if you had the cylinder decked prev like I did then you will need to run the thicker or dbl up on the gaskets to keep the comp reasonable.

If I had run the .025 and .012 cometic gaskets on mine it would have been almost 14:1, so an extra base gasket did the trick.

If you are doing up the engine you have no choice but to measure it up and mathmaticaly figure the comp with the various gasket combos if you want to do it correctly.