PDA

View Full Version : smoking new 440 EX

QuadR8cer12
03-25-2003, 12:16 PM
I just got my ex back on wendsday... It was just bored out to a 440...It has trouble idling and it smokes....should it be smoking?All themods I have on it are in my sig if that helps anyone figure out my problem..Thank yo so much for your help. I am really bummed out about this. I love the power it has now and I want to make sure I ahve tha engine working perfectly.. Thanks again!!

Austin Wilson#12

R-Crazy
03-25-2003, 12:43 PM
if it is brand new motor, some of the parts may have a light coating of oil on them. if it doesnt go away afetr break in, tell us.

dave

Ryan
03-25-2003, 12:45 PM
I can't tell you much about the idling except your air screw could be off. It could also be you pilot jet.

About the smoking of the engine, that is fairly normal. The rings may have not of been properly sealed yet. Ride for a little while and if it does this after putting a few hours into the engine, then there could be a problem.

QuadR8cer12
03-25-2003, 12:50 PM
I have got like 3 tanks of gas through it so far at riding it at half throttle and the guy that did it for my told me to run one tank of gas through it and I waited until 3 and I just started to ride it hard on sunday soooo does that help out at all?

and about the idleing the engine wont really idle after its been run for a while and it starts up after being cold pretty good but not great ya know....

Ryan
03-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Don't mistake me for a mechanic but your engine could be overheating. This could also be from your jetting.

QuadR8cer12
03-25-2003, 12:56 PM
So you think its over heating from the jetting being wrong??I havnt been riding it hard anymore.. I was just riding it at half throttle today and its still having the starting problem...

Ryan
03-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Well if it starts fine when it is cold but later it has trouble starting, then its probably over heating. Does it feel like you are loosing power when the engine is fully warmed up? Also, what color is your spark plug?

You could get much better answers if you post this in the "Powerterian" Fourm.

QuadR8cer12
03-25-2003, 01:07 PM
well it kinda has trouble sarting when its cold to...

I will put it in powertrain to..isnt there like a bump thing you can do?? How do you do it?

QuadR8cer12
03-25-2003, 01:10 PM
I havnt been able to look at the spark plug yet..... I cant get itout. It is in there so far back in the engine and I cant get it:mad:

shamisc
03-25-2003, 04:11 PM
You should be able to easily get to your plug with your stock plug wrench that came with the bike. Take an extra plug in your pocket, ride it in about 3rd or 4th pinned for about 5 seconds, pull the clutch in, kill the switch, and come to a stop. Take your plug out, put in the spare one in your pocket(so you don't have to push it)and come back and tell us what color it is or better yet post a good pic of it. We should be able to help you there. Your smoking problem sounds to me like your rings are lined up causing oil to get in the combustion chamber. It should only smoke for a couple of minutes or so after first start up. Anyhow, let us know about the plug.

Leo
03-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Is the english language a lost art form? <sigh>

Here's what you do..

Load it on the truck, take it back to the guy you paid all the money to, and have him do it right.

I'm assuming you just sunk a good amount of change into it, that CFR carb? (check your signature) Those babies aren't cheap :huh

Leo

Castor-426ex
03-25-2003, 06:03 PM
yeah it could be so many things...rings installed incorrectly...or the oil control ring overlapping...ect ect....take it back and throw a ***** fit

la400ex
03-26-2003, 04:15 AM
What color is the smoke? My 416 smoked when I first put it back together. My oil expander ring overlapped and scraped up the cylinder. Ant.

Castor-426ex
03-26-2003, 04:20 AM
is that the control ring itself?

how did you tell if it overlapped?

my 426 doesnt smoke...but i noticed when i took it apart to spec things again the cylinder had lines in it...but i couldnt feel them

la400ex
03-26-2003, 07:42 AM
It was easy to tell. Part of it was grinded down flat and there were scrapes in my cylinder that i could feel with my fingernail.

ZJack
03-26-2003, 07:48 AM
If you are lucky, it could just be jets to big and screws not properly adjusted for mix. Is it useing (burning) oil? check level.

quadrcr87
03-26-2003, 07:48 AM
check the oil level. after an oil change mine smokes for a few minutes

QuadR8cer12
03-26-2003, 02:12 PM
OK got the plug out and put another one in it. I took that one out after a few seconds of riding it and it balck on th threads and kinda a lil white on the tip of it. I dont have a pic of it though....The guy that did the engine for me knows what he is doing..did it for me.. and He got me a new steering stem for me ant dealer price since we were having some problems.... He said he set the carb up a lil lean when he did it...sooo he is going to meet me at the track saturday and we are going to wrench on it.. He has to adjust the valves again anyways....

Yeah we just dropped alot of money into it... More than 3 grand:eek2:into it

Steven
03-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Austin,

If the entire plug was covered with a black (dry) sooty powder, then you are too rich. This will cause you to smoke and run rough.

If the plug is covered in black (wet/shiney) sooty residue, then you have a oil getting inside your combustion chamber. The oil can come past the rings or through the valve stem seals if worn.

Do you remember what the plug looked like? Can you describe it to us? What color was the porcelain? If its black, then you are to rich.

A milk chocolate color is preferable on the arm strap, electrode, and base ring. The procelain should be white-ish grey.

QuadR8cer12
03-26-2003, 03:50 PM
hmm I think It was a white-ish gray and I didnt get to tell if it was wet or dry..I had my gloves on and I dont remember..

I talked to and he said that If I put my old CDI Rev box on and start it and run it for a min the put the After market one back on it might run better or somehing like that.. Only problem is he still has my old Rev Box and he is 2 hrs away:rolleyes: do you guys know anything about that?? or am I just peeing into the wind??

Big - D Racing
03-26-2003, 07:06 PM
More than 3 grand whoa! I think I could of got everything you got for like $2000 to $2200 with installition, pipe, and carb, how much were you charged for installation?

3x440ex
03-27-2003, 01:23 AM
same thing happened to my first 440........when we tore the motor down and inspected it we found that one of the rings got bent putting it together.....getting the piston and rings up into the cylinder is a little tricky and if you're not careful you'll screw the rings up.......i ended up boring it .20 over, 5 hours later twisted the crank, rebuilt the motor again with a new 440 sleeve, and cracked the sleeve after another 5 hours....i said screw it and went back to a stock bore cylinder and haven't had a problem yet..........Good luck;)

Razorback
03-27-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by QuadR8cer12
hmm I think It was a white-ish gray and I didnt get to tell if it was wet or dry..I had my gloves on and I dont remember..

I talked to Bullet motor sports and he said that If I put my old CDI Rev box on and start it and run it for a min the put the After market one back on it might run better or somehing like that.. Only problem is he still has my old Rev Box and he is 2 hrs away:rolleyes: do you guys know anything about that?? or am I just peeing into the wind??

Austin - I've went back to my stock rev box for the remainder of the winter/early spring until it totally warms up. With the aftermarket CDI + the motor work, the moto just can't spin fast enough for the CDI to cause the spark plug to fire and start the engine. With my stock CDI, I don't even hardly have to crank it. It fires right up. It actually starts better now than it did before Mark did the work on it.

QuadR8cer12
03-27-2003, 01:52 AM
Hmm ok I will try to get the stock rev box to put on it again to see if that works better . But I wil have to get it first....

BIG- Yeah it was a little more than 3 grand but I also got a powder coated frame , fenders , and shock rebuilds front and back.He also put on a new axle for me taht I have had laying around the house for about 2 months and sub LSR hubs with it..

QuadR8cer12
03-27-2003, 01:54 AM
440 Kits

Items
Price
Pipe Sparks X6 * $485.00
440 Piston Kit & Install Sleeve $425.00
Valve Spring $90.00
Cam $185.00
Valve Guide Kit $55.00
Gasket Kit $68.25
Harder Rockers $260.00
Porting Head $250.00
Weld Crank $100.00
CRF Carb $450.00
Rev Box $115.00
Labor Install Motor and Jet $150.00
Total w/o Tax $2,633.00

*Recommended Pipe is Curtis Sparks X-6
There is all the pricing on the engine work..

QuadR8cer12
03-27-2003, 12:50 PM
ok here is something new that it started doing today... It sounds like the piston is hitting something like a vavle when it gets to the top...any idea on what that is and what I should do?(besides take it back and through a fit)

Razorback
03-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Austin - just work with Mark, he'll make it right. Don't throw a fit, because that won't help. Something obviously is wrong, could be minor, could be worse, but Mark will fix it for you without question I'm sure. He hasn't had many problems with his motors. The last problem I heard about with one of his was a 440 that, when he took it apart to fix it, had dirt and sand all in the piston, so that wasn't his fault. Just look at how well all his motors did at the nationals at Macon, and a lot of the top racers in the TQRA use his motors, too.

Things do happen though. Something may have went wrong during the break-in. I haven't had any problems with mine, and I did basically the same thing as you, with the exception of you went to a 440, and I did a 416. Have faith man. It'll all work out ;)

QuadR8cer12
03-27-2003, 02:35 PM
I wouldnt throw a fit tat is just a figure of speech ya know.. Mark is a great guy and I know he will treat us good.uh! I hope it isnt somethig I did and that its nothing to big thats wrong with it!!we are taking it to mark tomarrow and I hope( but dought) That it will be ready or me to race sat at wfordfor the NTNS races.. Oh well I hope it gets fixed soon...

Razorback
03-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Well, I hope he can fix it in time for ya. I'm planning on being out there Saturday night as well. What class are you going to run in the NTNS? I'm running intermediate. With that motor and your skills, you can probably ride pro in this series. A national is this weekend, so most of the regular pros will be out, and Brandon Raymond broke his collar bone (again) two weeks ago, so he will be out too.

QuadR8cer12
03-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah I will be in pro.... I just got it back from the shop with my new fenders:D

ny300exrider
03-28-2003, 11:42 AM
holy crud man.....are you 12 because thats insane to have such a nice quad....great to see us young guns with the sweet quads....good luck racing and sweeeeet quad.

QuadR8cer12
03-28-2003, 01:13 PM
I am 15 and I paid for half of what is on it and sponsors helped out ALOT. Thanks for the props

ny300exrider
03-28-2003, 01:39 PM
oh ok..fo some reason i thought you were 12...somebdy else with a close name....your quad is definitly up there on my fav. list....great job on it,sponsers are awsome:D

QuadR8cer12
03-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Yeah sponsors rock! Thanks man Its my fav quad to!:D ;)