PDA

View Full Version : Cam Degreeing

jakal
03-25-2003, 11:30 AM
What all tools are required, where do you get them, and how much do they cost. Im not doing this on a ex, im actually doing it on a warrior but im sure its close to the same for them all except I cant put a new notch in my sprocket to make the changes permanant. I was just going to buy a pre done sprocket but they wanted 70 bucks!

MIKE400EX
03-25-2003, 01:02 PM
I believe Web Cams sells a kit. Basically a degree wheel, a dial indicator and instructions.

jakal
03-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Nah, that aint happenin either. It would be around 270 dollars or so after shipping. I would pick that over priced 70 dollar sprocket over that.

MIKE400EX
03-25-2003, 03:36 PM
Well then buy a small automotive degree wheel from someone like Mr Gasket. Then go buy a 1" travel, .100"/rev. dial indicator from MSC (or a tool shop) and make the adaptor to fit your flywheel. Find some instructions that came with a cam and save yourself about $230.

TRX300X
03-25-2003, 03:52 PM
How exactly do you degree an overhead cam engine? I've degreed automotive pushrod engines but I don't see how you can figure out the lift of the cam when you cant measure the lift of the lifter.

MIKE400EX
03-26-2003, 03:05 AM
If you are only degreeing the cam to make sure that it is timed correctly to the crank, then you don't need to know exact lift numbers >> you just need a reference on the opening and closing ramps that is at the same valve opening point (use about .050"). Locate the indicator tip so that it "rides" on the top of the intake retainer. It helps, but is not totally necessary that the valve used should be lashed to zero (no clearance). Also make sure the cam chain tensioner is in place and working properly.
1. Find true TDC of the piston and attach the degree wheel and a suitable pointer so that it reads "0".
2. Attach a dial indicator so that the plunger rests on the flat portion of one of the intake retainers. The plunger must move parallel to the valve action, not at an angle to it. Adjust the indicator to read .500".
3. Turn the engine over - CCW direction- by hand (not with the starter, and don't put the spark plug in) for at least 2 crank revolutions. Stop when the indicator shows that the valve has opened exactly .050". Check the degree wheel and take a note of what the pointer is indicating.
4. Turn the crank slowly (always CCW) until the dial indicator again shows that the valve is open .050" > but this time the valve is closing. Again check the degree wheel and take another note of what the pointer is indicating.
5. Half way between the first and second degree wheel "readings" is the centerline of the intake lobe.
That should match the number on your cam spec. sheet. If not then you may want to advance or retard the cam as desired. You can slot the cam gear to move the cam where you want it.
Always a good idea to double check all your readings, and especially after you slot the gear and change the valve timing.

jakal
03-26-2003, 06:24 AM
I have to advance mine for my new camshaft. There are instructions I can use on web cams web page. I think im just going to do like yall said and buy a small automotive one.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-26-2003, 06:53 AM
The degree kits are really nice to have. I sell one that comes with the wheel,dial indicator, adjustable magnetic stand, and three positive stops in a wooden box for $100.:)