PDA

View Full Version : What is the best setup\combo for hardcore woods riding?

kaneman23
03-25-2003, 08:12 AM
It's been a while since I've posted on the forum so I'm a little out of touch w/the current setup many of the people are running.

The 416 sounds like the hot setup for the hardcore weekend woods riders like myself. I'm pretty sure I want the 416 kit but I'm not sure what piston and cam setup to pick. What are you guys running? What is the highest compression I can go with using pump gas? So far, I like the sounds of the JE piston and Hotcam Stage II combo. I want a lot of bottom and mid range torque from whatever I choose and I don't want to break the bank. How to the XR400, Web, TC, WB, and other cams stack up against one another? Which is the best all around? Do I need to replace my valve springs or rockers?

Should I worry about head work? What is a good company to buy the 416 kit from? What is a good builder for the head work? I've done some business w/Marcum's in the past Are they still a good company to do business with(headwork)?

Thanks for the help!

Justin

Ex'r Marlin
03-25-2003, 01:50 PM
I don't know if this is the "best" setup... But to date, my setup is working great for me!:) Special thanks to the guys here on Exriders.com for their input and Colby's @ C&D Racing:

JE 10.8 to 1 piston / Cosmetic gaskets / Hotcam stage 2 through C&D Racing. 308-696-7805

Head work done by B&B Enterprises of Bear, Delaware. 302-836-2012. (New valve seals, etc.) No port and polish done to my atv... But something worth looking into.

Installation by a good friend, Mike Brown of Elkton, Maryland.

I normally run 50/50 VP12 race gas and Sunoco 94, but I am told that I can run pump gas with this setup.

Note: I did not replace my valve springs or rockers.

I also found that I needed to run a different exhaust than my stock one due to the increased air flow.

I wish you luck!:)

kaneman23
03-26-2003, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.. That is the exact setup I'm interested in doing. Was there a huge difference in power from stock? I've rode a 440 and to be honest it didn't impress me much for the amount of money and work he put into it. thanks for the help,

Justin

Ex'r Marlin
03-26-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by kaneman23
Was there a huge difference in power from stock? There is a very noticeable improvement.:) I don't know if I would call it a "huge difference", but it sure moves alot quicker and faster. The throttle response is much quicker too. :)

Note: I am not much of a "speed freak", and I was not expecting this much of a change from stock. It sure "wakes it up", much more than I expected!

The only negative I have; I need to break harder now!:D (You may find that you go through brake pads more often with this change). You may need to learn to not punch the throttle too!

Good luck!

kaneman23
03-26-2003, 03:12 AM
Cool.. Thanks for the good description. I'm not a power freak either because all of my riding is done on narrow/tight trails. However, I like having that low end bark and throttle response. Excellent post.. Thanks,
Justin