PDA

View Full Version : Piston question

dodgeram14jr
11-19-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm in the middle of a topend rebuild as it was burning oil. The top of the piston had alot of oil build up so I cleaned it up to see the number. The number on the piston is 4667m08900. I'm reading that it's an 89mm piston. Does this mean I have a 440 big bore? Thanks Dean

DragonGunner
11-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Yes you have a wiseco 89mm piston.

https://www.lasleeve.com/big-bore/wiseco-big-bore-piston-435cc-111-comp-4667m08900

DragonGunner
11-20-2016, 02:51 PM
They use to make a 89.5mm piston and you could bore and hone your sleeve for your top end build…..not sure they can be found anymore….if not you will need to resleeve and new piston…thats some $ for labor. I might suggest finding a used cylinder for a smaller bore…..

dodgeram14jr
11-20-2016, 02:59 PM
Okay thanks for the response. I was looking on ebay at topend kits including the cylinder. I seen wiseco has a kit. I also seen there's a cheap kit called niche I never heard of them and that includes a cylinder as well. Just seems alittle sketchy

DragonGunner
11-20-2016, 03:55 PM
Okay thanks for the response. I was looking on ebay at topend kits including the cylinder. I seen wiseco has a kit. I also seen there's a cheap kit called niche I never heard of them and that includes a cylinder as well. Just seems alittle sketchy

DON"T buy that cheap ebay kit…(Niche or however you spell it)...know too many who have and they are crap. Most of the good kits are ready bored and ready for install

dodgeram14jr
11-20-2016, 04:04 PM
I was leaning toward the wiseco kit with the cylinder included. That's what I heard about those cylinders. Thanks for the help

dodgeram14jr
11-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Who makes a good cylinder? I was looking up getting mine sleeved but the sleeve is $100+ and plus the piston kit and gaskets and all I think it would be better to get the wiseco piston topend kit with cylinder on ebay for $395. Any thoughts?

WwsivicwW
11-24-2016, 01:52 AM
i had a customer with the ebay cylinder... i installed gtthunder studs in it and the cylinder cracked on the bottom next to the sleeve.. idk if it was from me installing the studs or it was there to begin with...
imo stick with an oem cylinder and have it sleeved by a professional if your set on doing a big bore..
big bore isnt necessary.. you can make big power with stock bore

dodgeram14jr
11-24-2016, 07:05 AM
I had taken the cylinder to a machine shop and there pretty sure they can ball hone the cylinder to clean it up since it's not bad and just put a new piston and rings if I decide not to sleeve it.

400man
11-24-2016, 07:49 PM
I had taken the cylinder to a machine shop and there pretty sure they can ball hone the cylinder to clean it up since it's not bad and just put a new piston and rings if I decide not to sleeve it.

that should work fine, just have them measure the bore down inside the cylinder in a few places and see if its very out of round. and check what the piston/clearance is too. there should be a tolerance

joker11
12-19-2016, 10:18 PM
I got a used basket case 400ex. I ordered the Niche and it was actually not bad. I got everything bolted up and it ran fine. After I have a few rides on it I will know if it was worth the 120 bucks. But now that I have a working engine, I will look at upgrades as money and time permits. No sense it putting an engine together and finding out the bottom end was junk too. We will see.....