PDA

View Full Version : What To Expect

Ryan
03-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Well I would love to start racing soon but a couple things are holding me back. I have a couple of odd questions for you people who have started racing....

I currently have alot of money problems (Which I plan to get a job very soon). I wanted to know the normal costs it will be to race a few locals (MX). Also, how often are races held?

What would be the best MX setup (For most tracks?) What size tires, sprockets ect.

I also plan on getting a new atv before any of this. What would be the best way to keep my atv from becomming a sh1t hole. (AtvMxRider) Jerry, is it just a Blaster thing or will I get screwed in the future :devil ;) . Would anyone happen to have any good maintance tips?

Is there anything else I should expect or do :confused:

Thanks for your time.

TeamC&GRacer
03-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Local races are held basically every weekend. You can probally expect to pay an entry fee of 20-30 bucks a race, some places require ama card to race.

Depending on the class your going to be racing in depends o nwhat setup you might want to have. If you just starting and racing in a c level class you could probally get away with running a stock machine competively. There on up certain upgrades to you machien might be necessary such as shocks, tires, width extension, and engine modifications.

If you goign to start racing you will expect a lot of physical involvement. You might want to start lifting and workign out on a regular basis to get prepared for the races. I hope the informartion has gotten you some idea abotu the racing view.

Ryan
03-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Thanks TeamC@Gracer....

I do plan on racing class "C."

As for the AMA card.... What does it mean a track is AMA restricted? (Or something like that?) Im not to formiliar with these terms. Does it mean that you must have a AMA card, instead of a ATVA card :huh . Sorry for the dumb question.

I hope I can be semi competitive with a stock machine in this class. But I plan on getting mod's as soon as possible ;) .

I work out regularly and pretty sure im physicly fit to do this.

I still got alot of time before I start racing though. I gotta work my ***** off this summer to make a good sum of money to buy a quad. I'll probably start off next year. It should be much easier (Money Wise) for me :) .

TeamC&GRacer
03-24-2003, 03:07 PM
The restriction just means that the race is held/linked by the Ama. Soem tracks dont require it because they do not deal with it. Just call around the tracks that you plan on racing at and find out if they require a AMA card, they you should be set. I think an anual membership is only 30 bucks.

Bart
03-25-2003, 03:06 AM
ATVA and AMA cards are essentially the same.

Your age may be your biggest obstacle. Most tracks won't allow anyone under 16 to race quads.

Good luck.

Ryan
03-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Fred
ATVA and AMA cards are essentially the same.

Your age may be your biggest obstacle. Most tracks won't allow anyone under 16 to race quads.

Good luck.

Yeah I have heard alot about this. I don't think im gonna start racing untill next year, so I can get ready for next year.

I know that there is a thing with getting caught with lying to the AMA/ATVA about your age but, is it really worth lying or just waiting a little while longer to race? I'll be 16 next July so I might be better off waiting it out. What do you guys think?

MxDale71
03-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Most tracks don't have age limits (none in this area do) so check out the rules of a certain series, or look on the track websites and if they don't say anything about having to be 16, than just go up there and race. The way you can prevent your quad from becoming a "*****hole" is buy taking care of it. Maintain it to much. I know that sounds funny, but if you replace parts before they get really worn out, it won't wear other parts out as quickly. Like your oil may still be good for a few rides, but why push it to the limit? Just spend the extra few bucks and change the oil and don't ever let it get to it's limit. My engine and tranny oils are still in good shape when I drain them. I know I could safely go 6 races w/ that same oil, but I go ahead and change the oil after ever 3rd trip to the track, just because it keeps my ***** in better shape.

speedy400
03-25-2003, 03:38 PM
I know what you meen ryan, I'm in the same spot, I'm 15 and wanna race, bad......

zzbudzz
03-25-2003, 07:48 PM
ok ,you currently have money problems........then you'll have trouble racing ,cause it seems like all the track owners are interested in is taking as much money out of your pocket as possible!:grr .... for instance this sat. i plan on racing ..10$ to get in the gate 15$ to practice for an HOUR? 25$ for the class to race in...plus 25$ to get a district card< bullsh(t...a grand total of 75 bucks for an hour practice and 2 15 minute moto's ?? mmmmm... i might not go now that i've typed this!

Ryan
03-26-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by zzbudzz
ok ,you currently have money problems........then you'll have trouble racing ,cause it seems like all the track owners are interested in is taking as much money out of your pocket as possible!:grr .... for instance this sat. i plan on racing ..10$ to get in the gate 15$ to practice for an HOUR? 25$ for the class to race in...plus 25$ to get a district card< bullsh(t...a grand total of 75 bucks for an hour practice and 2 15 minute moto's ?? mmmmm... i might not go now that i've typed this!

That really sucks. Well you only have to get a distric card once a year don't you? I don't think I will have money like that to throw around every week for a long time.

Maybe I should start thinking about XC racing :cool: . I know its some what cheepier for them to race.

Mxdale, thanks for the good tips.

Sick0
03-26-2003, 01:29 PM
don't forget its not simple you a quad and you pay for the entries fees..
Thats whats I though last year. I will just go to a couple of race and have fun.. next thing you know I have about 12 grand into my bike. PLus remeaber you will be spending alot to keep it togather. plus with travel cost, food cost, extra parts its starts to get expensive. but theres a reason we all do it.