PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!

12-15-2001, 10:58 AM
I have a '98 Recon and it won't start.
I put my finger over the hole and there is compression.
It has compression and a spark but the recoil barely moves. We can't figure out what's wrong with it.

Is it something in the lower end?

please help....

Guy400
12-15-2001, 01:47 PM
We need more info. Is the motor not turning over at all? Does it turn over until a certain point? Give us some more detail and we'd be happy to help.

12-15-2001, 06:50 PM
It turns over about 6 times then doesnt have enough power to turn it. Then you can wait about 2-3 minutes it has enough power to turn another 6 times. I dont understand

kc 300EX
12-15-2001, 07:10 PM
I dont wanna give a retarded answer, but is it your battery?

Does it start when you try the Pull?

Guy400
12-15-2001, 07:41 PM
kc, that's not a retarded answer at all. If the battery is up to full charge it ought to turn over as long as you've got the button depressed.

scag, put the battery on a charger all night and let it fully charge and then see what your symptoms are. Like kc said, what's the story with the pull starter? You said you're getting spark but is it a good spark or is it rather weak? It should be a pretty bright kernel if all is well. If the battery is charged and the spark is bright then that just leaves fuel.

12-15-2001, 11:40 PM
while your at the battery charging it it would be wise to take your conections off and clean them with a wire brush and either baking soda(i think )and water mixed or i have heard coke a cola works too

400exJOE
12-16-2001, 10:49 AM
ok, heres the deal. I ride with scag (mario) and saw the recon. I took out the spark plug and it has spark. It also has compression and the piston moves. SO its not seized up. It wont start and when you hit the starter it turns the engine but the starter stains a lot. And when you pull on the pull start, it is very hard to pull out and stops (locks up) about half way out. The quad has been riden kinda hard and the oil was rarely changed. The oil is pretty black and smells. I told him he had to maintain it better but I guess that it shows now.

Leo
12-16-2001, 11:15 AM
were you riding along and it quit, or did you go out one morning and it wouldn't start?

Leo

400exJOE
12-16-2001, 11:22 AM
he was at my house and we got about 4" of snow the night b4. We went out and raced around for a while. He was complaining of that noice you get when and engine boggs out (like clicking) but it wasn't at the low rpms. He rode home which is about a 30 minute ride and along the side of a 2 mile strech of highway, it started dying out. Maybe it over heated from riding in the snow?

400exJOE
12-16-2001, 05:11 PM
anybody got any advice?

4punksdad
12-16-2001, 05:44 PM
give it a once over. oil & filter change. battery recharge, air filter cleaning, fresh fuel w/dry gas, drain the carb bowl just to be sure, and install a new plug. 3 things make it run. air, fuel & fire.

12-16-2001, 08:09 PM
i think it's blown,the rings are shot or the piston cracked,i bet its got to be blown

400exJOE
12-17-2001, 02:14 PM
so is that the best guess(blown up)? If so I will have him buy a piston kit. Probably wiseco or pro x. What is better? Also, should he bore it? I told him to bore it .040 just because the cylinder is probably srcaped up a little. Any advise?

12-17-2001, 11:28 PM
You have fuel.? You have fire.? Do you have compression?
It has to have 75psi compression at the very least to fire & run.
Buy or borrow a compression tester & go from there. Make sure it has bright spark with a new plug. Drain the oil into a clean container & look closley at it, is there any metal or brass in it? check the oil filter to. Do this first, if it shaows anything in the oil then it needs rebuilt. I've spend many hours trying to diag something only to find out the oil & filter had metal flake tint to it.

"BLAHH"300!!
12-18-2001, 02:10 AM
hook it up to the bumper of a truck and drag it around the yard for a bit.....

i'm seriouse-

pull it around poop it in gear- see if it does anything like that-
- put it in it's highest gear let it get some speed then pop it and let it roll around for about 10 20 feet- with the engine turning over- if it doesn't crank like this and you have gas oil spark and air- you got probs man- if the tires don't spin you sho' nuff got probbs'

12-22-2001, 11:15 PM
i think you should get a yamaha

4punksdad
12-23-2001, 04:37 AM
:rolleyes:

hotrodhonda400
12-23-2001, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Bluetraxx3
i think you should get a yamaha :blah :D :D :D ha thats a good one!!!:D :D