PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle yes no?

zmoe400ex
03-24-2003, 01:38 PM
are they worth the extra money to put one on:confused:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-24-2003, 01:47 PM
I would say that would be personal oppinion.. I would never put one on my bike I do not like the feeling of trying to hold on and not twisting the throttle at the same time.. I will stick to the thumb throttle :p

heavy_d
03-24-2003, 01:49 PM
no never on a quad

Dune Surfer
03-24-2003, 01:51 PM
I have heard of to many problems, You lose control and give it gas by mistake :eek2:

zmoe400ex
03-24-2003, 01:57 PM
do you mean like slip like riding rough trails on a dirt bike or does the thing like get stuck wide open or somthing:confused:

Dune Surfer
03-24-2003, 02:20 PM
It won't get stuck open, It's just when you hit a bump or lean back, or turn you twist it by mistake.

zmoe400ex
03-24-2003, 02:28 PM
then i shouldnt be to worried im coming from dirtbikes

Loeryder
03-24-2003, 02:32 PM
I think quads have a lot more "feedback" in teh steering than a bike does and that effects a lot.
Especially hard cornering and steep climbs.

I don't like em, unless its on a bike.

TheX1992
03-24-2003, 03:02 PM
i dont know what you guys are talkin about i LOVE mine, i never get a sore thumb.

BigThumper33
03-24-2003, 03:15 PM
I ride both a 400ex and a cr125. I too have thought about this question. I have decided that a twist throttle on a quad is simply just a bad idea. I think it works on a bike because you use more leaning when turning than simply arm extension, this keeps your arms close to the body and in more control of the twist throttle. On a quad when make a sharp left turn your right arm is extended out a lot father than on a bike because on a bike you lean to make up a lot of the turning radius. I feel you do not have much control of your wrist, especially on rough terrain.

I have spent a lot of time on my dad's R with a twist and gathered this by experience. I can ride the quad well, but when it comes to the tight stuff, I just don't feel as in control as I know I should, especially in a racing environment.

I hope that made sense :macho

toby400ex
03-24-2003, 04:18 PM
I have been thinking about this too, When on a quad and you need to make a tight right hand turn. When you turn that throttle hand is going to be in your chest or stomach, and imagine trying to turn the twist throttle at the same time.:ermm:

03-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by zmoe400ex
are they worth the extra money to put one on:confused: no

JustRace
03-24-2003, 04:50 PM
No problems with mine, it did cost me 400+ dollars though.

JustRace
03-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
I have been thinking about this too, When on a quad and you need to make a tight right hand turn. When you turn that throttle hand is going to be in your chest or stomach, and imagine trying to turn the twist throttle at the same time.:ermm:

You can see in my picture i have the bars cranked all the way to the right and its no problem. Maybe the riders skills play a roll. lol ;)

Narly R
03-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Do not get one!!!!!! I almost killed myself w/one one my r!!!!!!!
Hey JustRace, it costed you 400+ dollars????:eek2: :huh Thats amazing! You must have really wanted a twist!!!!!! What kind did you get and why did it cost soooooooooo much????? I think u got jipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :ermm:

JustRace
03-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
Do not get one!!!!!! I almost killed myself w/one one my r!!!!!!!
Hey JustRace, it costed you 400+ dollars????:eek2: :huh Thats amazing! You must have really wanted a twist!!!!!! What kind did you get and why did it cost soooooooooo much????? I think u got jipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :ermm:

LMAO
Well my twist throttle costed 400+ because it came with a edelbrock carb. lol I think its rider preference and won't know if you will like it unless you try it. I didn't like mine for the first two times i rode it, but now i love it. Just had to give it time.

400exr
03-25-2003, 05:58 AM
I've got one on my 400 and I love it!. It takes a little getting used to but after that its great. It's all rider prefrence, you ethier like it or you don't!:)

03-25-2003, 06:21 AM
It's all about the rider...I've used one before and swore I'd never use a thumb throttle again..well when I got a new quad..i never installed it..but I do have one at home waiting to be put on... they just take time and that's all....you'll get used to it and if you don't then you weren't meant to use one...

QuadTrix6
03-25-2003, 06:47 AM
thumb seems to be working great for me ...i got no reason to change it

quadrcr87
03-25-2003, 08:15 AM
i love the twist on my banshee and warrior that i ride in the dunes. but the 250x and z400 have thumb because i race mx on them. my thumb gets tired in the dunes holding it wide open

RCwhat
03-25-2003, 09:06 AM
don't listen to all these clowns, lord knows that half of them haven't even hit puberty. if you ride a streetbike or dirtbike and like the feel of a twist then by all means definitely convert, but if your not used to it, then i'd say save your money for something else because a twist takes some time to become very smooth with. and don't blame an accident on a twist, unless it sticks, because its the rider that couldn't control it.

quadrcr87
03-25-2003, 10:47 AM
RCwhat i agree

fire x 2000
03-25-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm with RC and Rico twist throttle is no different then a thumb throttle its all in the rider. I wouldent ride a quad with a thumb throttle, but thats because i grew up on bikes. Adding the twist throttle was the first thing i replaced on my bike. If your comfortable with the thumb then dont change... only my 1/2 cent

Trickster78
04-16-2003, 02:45 PM
i swapped from a thumb to twist on my 300 and love it, but its all in what the rider feels more comfortable with but i came up on dirt and streetbikes so the twist throttle on mine makes my ride fun as h@#

OutlawEX
04-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I would say that would be personal oppinion.. I would never put one on my bike I do not like the feeling of trying to hold on and not twisting the throttle at the same time.. I will stick to the thumb throttle :p

Blysster
04-17-2003, 05:41 AM
I had one on my R and didn't like it.

It's a matter of personal preference but I don't recommend it on a quad.

wilkin250r
04-17-2003, 06:20 AM
I don't think a twist throttle is "more likely" to cause problems, it depends on personal preference. I'm used to my thumb throttle, so when my 250r came with the twist throttle, I didn't like it. I didn't let off at the right times when I jumped, my forearm was sore from holding it WOT, I just didn't get used to it. In fact, the entire quad intimidated me for a while because it was so much faster and not as easy to control. When I swapped it from a twist to a thumb throttle, I loved it! The quad was so much easier to control, to jump, to ride for extended periods, everything was great. I love my thumb throttle, because I'm used to it.

My buddy grew up riding dirtbikes. He hates thumb throttles with a passion. Can't stand them. According to him, they don't have the fine control that a twist does, they are less stable because you can't hold on the the handlebars with your thumb, and they are no good for jumping. He would never ride with a thumb throttle.

It's all personal preference. With that in mind, it's actually kind of silly to ask someone else if it's worth it, you should be asking YOURSELF if the twist throttle is worth the money.

250EXking
04-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by heavy_d
no never on a quad

ive seen em stick and bikes crash. i dont know alot of people who like them.

zlam27
04-19-2003, 07:44 AM
if anyone wants a twist throttle, i have one. its a motion pro i think, and it comes with renthal grips. i would like a thumb throttle if anyone has one i could buy or trade. i didnt grow up on a dirtbike, so i dont like the twist. so anyone wanna trade or sell me a thumb throttle???

QuadRacer041
04-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by RCwhat
don't listen to all these clowns, lord knows that half of them haven't even hit puberty. if you ride a streetbike or dirtbike and like the feel of a twist then by all means definitely convert, but if your not used to it, then i'd say save your money for something else because a twist takes some time to become very smooth with. and don't blame an accident on a twist, unless it sticks, because its the rider that couldn't control it.

i agree 200%, if your used to it youll have no problem.ive always used a twist since i started rinding atc's over 15 years ago, and only once in all that time do i feel i crashed because of the twist.when i landed a jump my left hand slipped off the bars and when i leaned back my right, the only hand holding on gassed it, but it wasnt a bad crash, not that wouldnt happen to someone a dirtbike if there hand slipped off too.

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Its all personal preference. Take me for example, I will never use one....its not that I can't, I just don't like them on a quad.

crashinmatt
04-19-2003, 11:45 AM
ok, well, i love mine. and i have a hard time ridin with a thumb throttle(my thumb goes numb in less than 30 seconds of easy ridin). i never rode a dirt bike, so that not the reason behind my changin. and i totally believe that it is rider error, when most crashes occur when ridin with a twist. a couple friends rode my quad and crashed in just turns, where as i can jump, hit whoops and everything with no problems. so, yes it is personal preference, and it does take a little time to get used to, but if u change over and get used to it, u wont go back to a thumb throttle.

ridered86
04-19-2003, 12:13 PM
i hate twist throttles but everyones got there opinion.

RuffRyder400ex
04-20-2003, 04:28 AM
its what u like. i personaly like the thumb throttle.

motoboy66
04-24-2003, 06:49 PM
I love my twist, but I come from a bike backround. As for putting one on, it took me about 30 mins, but I also rejeted my carb at the same time. The biggest issue with putting one on is that you have to take off most of the front plastics to mount the new cable. As far as controling the quad with it, I have no proublem. It is a personal feeling though. I love it, my buddy hates it. If you have a bike backround, you might like it a lot. The biggest reason i put mine on was because my thumb would get tiered on long trail rides. With the twist there is no proublem with fatigue. I got my motion pro kit from C&D. Oh another reason I put on the twist was because I broke my thumb when it got jamed in the original after landing from a jump. I would not go back to the original. Just my 0.02

Todd

Nausty
04-24-2003, 07:52 PM
no

Chanman420q
04-26-2003, 09:53 AM
i had one on my blaster, i must say i adapted to it quickly and acutally liked it a lot for just usual trail riding. I remember so many times riding my blaster then jumping on my LT and going ot take of and stalling because i was twisting and not pushing... lol but when it came to wheelies and jumping ( not as bad on jumping ) it was tuff. But overall i liked it. But at this point i wont get another twist. IF i buy another bike with one on it, ill keep it on tho

Jekyl_22
04-26-2003, 02:30 PM
I have used both on my 440. I rode it with a thumb throttle for about 1 1/2 years, and I have rode with the twist for about 1/2 year. I feel completely comfortable with both. But I choose the twist; it is less tiring and easier to corner sharp with.

The whole thing about accidentally giving it gas when you lean back or hit bumps... that's probably because they only rode with it for a day. If you just go for it and practice whoops, jumps, bump, etc. then you should get used to it pretty quickly. And the thing about the throttle sticking, that is probably because they didn't give er' the ol' lube job. Plus, you should test the throttle to see if it is sticking at all before you ride it.

I was stubborn once too (I used a thumb throttle) and said that I did great with it, but now I have seen the "light" and got a twist throttle. I say give her a try, worst case... you lose $35 and aquire a twist throttle. But I say go for it at the chance of discovering something you just may like a lot more.:)

Brad
04-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I have heard of to many problems, You lose control and give it gas by mistake :eek2:
a kid died here cause of it last thursday