PDA

View Full Version : Oil change intervals.

dodgeram14jr
03-28-2016, 05:20 PM
I have an 01 400ex and I just started running harescrambles. My question is when should I change the oil? When I practiced on the mx track I changed the oil every 2-3 times and the oil still looked good. I'm looking for some suggestions I know everyone has there own opinion just wanna see what recommendations I get. Thanks Dean

03-29-2016, 05:27 PM
I change mine after every 2 races. If I let it go longer I seem to get a lot of clutch material in the oil. If I stick with every other race it seems to stay much cleaner.

DragonGunner
03-31-2016, 06:19 PM
I've had my 99' EX since spring of 2000. Ran a lot of MX, XC races and fast hard trail riding, and slow recreational racing. And somehow with heavy duty clutch springs still have original clutch! Its been a 416, 428, 440 and now a 406EX. I ran 10w40 Spectre Oil most of the time. Many oil changes usually around every 30 hours. Or about 10 hours of hard racing hours. Still have that quad, still runs strong. I run the same Spectre oil in my KTM only its full synthetic and do the same time of changes on it.

400man
04-03-2016, 08:29 AM
ive gotten to the point to where I check it every so often and when it starts to get kinda dark and nasty, I change it when I get a chance. I'm kinda done with xc racing for awhile and just gonna get back to trail riding, so I guess its not as hard on the motor and the oil may last a little longer?

OZ-T
10-30-2016, 12:00 AM
I change mine whenever it starts to look nasty. 400's aren't very finicky about oil changes like true performance quad engines are like the 450R. I run Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic, diesel oil, I know, but it carries the JASO-MA certification for wet clutch applications and no oil yet has given me smoother transmission shifting behavior. I've tried everything from the cheap horse whizz that comes from Honda all the way to expensive *** Amsoil, but the T6 has worked best for me, and it was cheaper than all of them!