PDA

View Full Version : What happen to atv riders

SpasticR450
03-16-2016, 02:16 AM
:confused:

CJM
03-16-2016, 12:06 PM
ATV's arent that big a thing it seems anymore, no new models and stuff. Seems most want a side by side?

rollie
03-24-2016, 10:11 AM
:confused:

The whole sport is dead, never to return. And facebook groups absolutely destroyed forums.

insaneracin2003
03-28-2016, 03:59 PM
I miss hanging out here....every single day I was on here many moons ago

wilkin250r
03-31-2016, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't say "the sport is dead". It's slow, yes, but not dead. The 250r facebook page is very active, and the 250r-specific forums are mildly active.

And you can hardly blame manufacturers for not introducing new models. The sales simply aren't there. I know first-year 250r was like 20,000, and I think the first year YFZ450 was pretty close to the same. I imagine today, that number would be more like 6000. That doesn't even cover the R&D costs...

Fix29
04-01-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm still around and still rocking the EX as well. But I think CJM brings up a good point, at least where I am from, seems like everyone is getting side by sides.

CJM
04-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Facebook also sorta destroyed the forum. Truthfully I find it stupid, bunch of kids spouting off which pipe is better and wheel spacers all over again.

The atv sport has slowed down drastically, no new models and like I said many want a side by side.

honda400ex2003
04-06-2016, 08:07 AM
i agree, it is slow. things change, life changes, activities change. if the site was busier id be on here more often, but i tend to forget while im on here. i transitioned to snowmobiling more than atvs, when i bought my new one. i tend to go on the dootalk forums instead of here now.

facebook certainly took a lot of "business" from the forums. the 250r page is always busy, i dont really belong to any 400ex groups, as it seems there are always plenty of 13-15 year olds on there that think they have a clue.

the problem i find with facebook, you get so many crappy posts that it gets irritating.

we are picking up the gfs new rancher tomorrow, that should be a sweet machine. it is a trx 6 which is the top of the line rancher with power steering and IRS on it so she should really like it.

i may end up getting something next year, the 400 beats me to death now a days, it seems. even with the elkas on it, the straight axle really beats me up on rocks and stuff. im not in the shape i used to be...

steve

honda400ex2003
04-06-2016, 08:14 AM
sometimes i do miss this forum though, i wish it was more active so i could partake in it.

my fear is that we will lose the site as less and less people venture here. hopefully that wont happen as theres tons of good info here... id hate to lose it all.

steve

CJM
04-06-2016, 08:38 AM
sometimes i do miss this forum though, i wish it was more active so i could partake in it.

my fear is that we will lose the site as less and less people venture here. hopefully that wont happen as theres tons of good info here... id hate to lose it all.

steve

I think its going to happen eventually, the site just lacks total traffic it seems. Remember the days every forum would have around 5-10 new posts a day? Now they are lucky for maybe 2-3 forums to have 1 post every week.

honda400ex2003
04-06-2016, 08:50 AM
yeah i do, i remember having multiple new threads an hour back in the 07-10 era of the site. lots of new stuff coming around, lots of atv buzz, the market was doing well and people were buying stuff all over the place (400ex wise) fast forward to '12-14 and it is the opposite.

all that information we made over the years in the 250r forum and the 400ex forum will be lost some day i bet :'(

steve

Ruf Racing
04-06-2016, 11:17 AM
This is the most activity the forum has seen in Ions. :D But seriously, there is still a lot of quad riding in my area. Peppered in with a few S x S. Remember the generation of us. We maybe the last of the riding breed. The millennials have Bernie Sanders to chase around. :tired: Facebook has definitely took over the talk.

CJM
04-06-2016, 05:36 PM
I noticed the millennials of the last 10-15 years dont wanna drive, dont wanna work, dont wanna do anything it seems. So yea they are to busy chasing around whatever stupid social justice warriors do.

honda400ex2003
04-07-2016, 10:43 AM
LOL exactly. they are quite useless most of the time. oh well...

picking up my gfs new machine this afternoon, rancher fa6 thats loaded up nicely with EPS IRS and the auto transmission.

i hope she is as excited as i am. i want to get a different one now...

sold my two r's, well traded them for a trailer. have my 400, which is getting old and starting to have the next go around of maintenance like the rear carrier bearings done on it next week. ill pull the swinger bolt and grease that if i can get it out again. kinda trying to get back into the spirit of wheeling again after not much movement with it the past couple of years. sold my ds last year that the gf rode, she didnt like riding it anyway so it wasnt a huge loss. because of only having 1 machine, it is hard to go together. hopefully that will change this year with the addition of the rancher.

time to do some maintenance next week on the 4hundy! first time i a couple of years doing anything other than riding it.
steve

honda400ex2003
04-07-2016, 10:50 AM
figured id donate a bit of cash to the site, $10 well spent for all the info over the years.

cheers to keeping the site alive LOL
steve

madskrillz2
04-07-2016, 09:36 PM
yeah i do, i remember having multiple new threads an hour back in the 07-10 era of the site. lots of new stuff coming around, lots of atv buzz, the market was doing well and people were buying stuff all over the place (400ex wise) fast forward to '12-14 and it is the opposite.

all that information we made over the years in the 250r forum and the 400ex forum will be lost some day i bet :'(

steve

I just logged on to see if there was still any activity and wow it's a ghost town lol. Like you said, this place used to be busy. It was like the VitalMX for quads. But life happens for a lot of people like myself. I still sort of check in for the last few races of the year to see who is winning but that's about as far as I go. I honestly just don't have any interest in racing again. If I ever get something to ride again, it will be a bike for trails. I actually still have my quad all setup for MX that I desperately need to sell. I do miss those days when this site was booming though. Have a lot of good memories of race talk and just trolling people lol.

hondarider2006
04-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Funny I was about to post a thread asking whats new on here. I haven't checked in here in about 10 years. I randomly googled my name today and it brought me here and found some old pictures from 13 years ago. I used to be a huge part of this forum. I let go of MX and sold my 400ex back in 2006. Glad to see some people are still kicking around on here. Hell I remember when this used to be EXRiders.com hahahaha.

HondaRacing83
04-21-2016, 09:14 PM
I miss this place so much lot of good info on here. I remember when i used to be SmitTank789 ���� those were the days. I do miss the atvriders days though and exriders. Ive been through a few 450s even experimented with the fi yamahas. Im still into riding its still big around here awrcs racing is big. Just got a bike and hate it going back to quads asap. I wish this place would make a comeback

honda400ex2003
05-02-2016, 08:48 AM
it probably will again sometime. it might be in the form of more SXS information but as more and more people get them and start having to fix them, they will start looking for sites to go to.

unfortunately, with nothing new from honda and others in the atv market (sport machines anyway) there isnt much of a reason to look for new info when everything out there is for the current market machines.

i will do my best to keep coming on here when i can :)

steve

400exc
05-05-2016, 07:19 AM
I check on here from time to time, very rarely though. Thinking about selling my DS to get a sport/utility. The sport quad scene has died around my area. Any other veterans still around? I haven't been around in a couple years. Pappy still post at all?

honda400ex2003
05-05-2016, 09:01 AM
im sure pappy (ken) does some of the write up stuff for the races, he mainly does the photos though.

i know even honda#4 (dallas) is busy now with a family. he has a couple kiddos that are getting pretty big, bought a house a couple years back and works a bunch. i dont even talk to him as much as i used to when we were on here a lot and IM'ing back in the day.

oh how times change...
steve

yellowzo3
05-06-2016, 05:46 PM
I just happened to randomly check in today lol.... Wow. Two threads in the Open forum, one started a month ago and has 0 replies. The grass hasn't been mowed in over a year in some of the sections. I stopped riding years ago and have no desire to get back into it. I do miss the community, though. No place to ride and I rarely even see a bike or quad in the back of a truck anymore. In fact, I ventured out on my mountain bike to my main riding spot back in the day and it was totally overgrown. Looks like there may have been a rogue quad or two but that's it. Is Pappy still active? His last post shows some time in 2013. I do see some action around here when I start looking, which is nice. I could go on and on reminiscing about the old days both on the site and in the trails, but that'd be too emotional lol. I'll have to check in again and see if anybody else chimes in. Catch you guys next year :p

jcs003
05-07-2016, 09:05 AM
I just happened to randomly check in today lol.... Wow. Two threads in the Open forum, one started a month ago and has 0 replies. The grass hasn't been mowed in over a year in some of the sections. I stopped riding years ago and have no desire to get back into it. I do miss the community, though. No place to ride and I rarely even see a bike or quad in the back of a truck anymore. In fact, I ventured out on my mountain bike to my main riding spot back in the day and it was totally overgrown. Looks like there may have been a rogue quad or two but that's it. Is Pappy still active? His last post shows some time in 2013. I do see some action around here when I start looking, which is nice. I could go on and on reminiscing about the old days both on the site and in the trails, but that'd be too emotional lol. I'll have to check in again and see if anybody else chimes in. Catch you guys next year :p

this is getting depressing. I remember when i was new here and it was banging. a reply to a thread happened in minutes.

john

bradley300
05-22-2016, 04:01 AM
I check in occasionally but its rare. I remember around 2002-05ish there were times at night you couldnt reply to a thread with two or three posted being added while you typed. Im suprised and pleased that i still remember a few of you guys posting in this thread. Maybe one day i'll ride again

honda400ex2003
06-17-2016, 12:40 PM
if you want to bad enough, you will ride again!

steve

54warrior
06-24-2016, 11:33 AM
I try and check for updated posts every week. There just isn't much. Always enjoyed the reviews on the main site too, but those haven't been updated in awhile either. Certainly no lack for press releases on the main page. I do check them out often. That is where most of the traffic is at on the site.

As has been mentioned, the glorious Facebook has taken over the social thing. Not a fan, it's too difficult to search stuff on there, and as mentioned, all the young rascals that know so much.

As for the sport itself. I switched to SxS for awhile, and am now back owning an ATV again, albeit a big 4x4. Can't afford both options. SXS's are fun, but i get annoyed that every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one. People that would never have been "riders" before, and they use them mostly for booze cruising and trespassing, thus ruining it for the rest of us.

Would love to see the sport quad market pick back up. But seems the manufacturers would rather sell 100 machines at $15,000+ than 30 machines at $7,000. Can't say that i blame them. I'm sure if a new TRX450 were to hit the market, there would be alot of used ones for sale.

Pipeless416
11-14-2016, 07:29 PM
wow, i don't think i've been on here for like 5 years. went for the first serious ride in about 4 years last weekend at the badlands in Indiana. good to see some familiar names. hope all is well with everybody.

ZRider400
11-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Just checking in.. and i agree face book has ruined forums. ... I miss the good ol' days on this site, learned so much being on here.

Scro
12-31-2016, 07:07 PM
Just checking in after 5 or 6 months. First post in over a year. Got into cycling, and never looked back.

Messer#123
01-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Facebook

gncc571
01-26-2017, 01:57 PM
This use to be a awesome place back in the early 2000's. Roll calls for who was going to be at races and all kinds of info being shared. I joined when it was Exriders and was bummed when it changed to atv. Pappy does all the photography for the Gncc's and most of the Mx nations.
Facebook pages have killed some of the SxS forums as well.
Glad to see some life here even if it's about there not being much life left in forums

chucked
01-27-2017, 03:15 PM
I joined back when it was exriders. A 400ex was my 2nd bike I bought back in 2003. I barely ride anymore :(. I still have a bike though. 2011 Honda Rancher. I mostly ride jet skis now.

chucked
01-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Funny someone made a comment about millennials. My friend's son is about 18. My friend bought him a nice 450 and set it up nice. Spared almost no expense. He rode it maybe twice. All the kid does is stare at his phone. SMH....

01boneless
03-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Wow is all I can say....sad to see this site dead like this ....thanks facebook!

K_Fulk
03-29-2017, 10:25 PM
Smells like MySpace in here

honda400ex2003
04-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Some of us still come on here every now and again...

trying to find a sxs (dare i say after swearing id never have one) or a outlander 1000 on trade for my hummer. a 1000 sxs doesnt sound too bad i guess after seeing some of the sweet setups out there.

steve

Beastmode17
06-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Facebook put a hurtin on alot of great Forums!

CBRSLIDER
06-30-2017, 09:50 PM
I try to stop by here every now and then. Far cry from what it used to be. Made some good friends here. Learned that I can work on my own atvs with the help of everyone here. Take care and keep on riding.

Ray

trick450r
07-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Checking in, I last rode my 450 probably 6 years ago. I probably haven't even started it in 5, maybe it's time I drag it out and atleast get it running again. I mostly build cars and guns now.

I miss this place, Facebook is systematically killing off all the forums.

honda400ex2003
07-05-2017, 10:04 AM

found myself a 2014 maverick xmr on trade for my hummer h2 i had. it has been fun so far, i have more miles on this year than the past 3 combined at least.

steve

honda400ex2003
07-05-2017, 10:07 AM
i even took my elkas and 250r rear off and sold them... been thinking about selling the rest of my parts from my 400 too. put it back stock and leave it in the garage for a while along with one of my sleds. either do that or sell them complete and liquidate the fleet a bit more... :( could use the cash from them to go toward other stuff actually.

steve

HondaRacing83
07-30-2017, 10:24 AM
This is crazy how much this place died off Facebook groups definitely killed it riding and racing is still pretty live in my area I'm racing Awrcs and Gncc and Cra on efi Yamaha but all the groups on Facebook have killed forums I remember being in here when I was like 12 with a stock 400ex and before that a 250ex damn

honda400ex2003
08-04-2017, 03:43 PM
the problem with the pages on FB, the information you get on there is terrible. you might get one person that actually knows about the machine and 100 kids that havent a clue commenting on it.

i am not on any 400ex pages, only some for the maverick to learn about it now. otherwise i have a bunch of other stuff that i follow but dont comment on too much.

steve

rollie
08-14-2017, 07:07 PM
just stopping by the old stomping ground....was hoping maybe it was revived.....so many great times on here its a shame

honda400ex2003
08-22-2017, 03:14 PM
we cant let this post die too... it is the last one! come on now people :)

steve

CJM
08-23-2017, 07:37 PM
wow this place is dead.. real shame..

I bet all the SxS forums are crazy right now. Quads get no love..

honda400ex2003
08-25-2017, 01:12 PM
The skidoo site I am on is always steady with the same guys, like this used to be. I am not a member of the sxs maverick forum so i am not sure how busy that one actually is. I still wonder how and why this fell off so fast. even the core guys that used to be on here a lot are all gone. this site has a sxs area in it, so i would suspect that those should still be busy. it seems like they have went to machine specific type sites, if they go there at all...

steve

blacknblue#2
08-28-2017, 12:31 PM
first time ive stopped by for a while. Still ride......bikes. Just got back from 3 days in hatfield McCoy. No motocross for me anymore. Hell there aint an MX track within 3 hours of me that will let quads. Pappy is just as active on Facebook as he always was here. Ive thought about asking him how often he checks the boards anymore

HondaRacing83
08-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Crazy I learned so much info here when I was younger. Still racing quads xc

honda400ex2003
08-31-2017, 01:15 PM
If i dont go fishing on Tuesday, i am planning on taking my 400ex for a spin. instead of the maverick this time LOL first time of the year to do that. might as well get it out and put some gas through it before it goes bad haha

steve

honda400ex2003
10-27-2017, 10:45 AM
we cant let the only thread that was going on here die too... i had to go back over the 30 and the 60 day marks to find it.

steve