PDA

View Full Version : Painting A-arms

HORSE45
12-06-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm thinking about trying to paint my A-arms this winter. I know powdercoat is better but I'm slightly better than flat broke right now so I dont need advie on that:D I was wandering if anyone had a suggestion on SIMPLE way to make it look good and hold up okay around $20-$40. Thanks alot!

miller821
12-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Powdercoating is actually not advised if these are the stock arms, since they don't have removable ball joints. Depending on the look and color you're going for, the black rubberized coating holds up pretty good on the lowers. For the upper so just used a good rustoleum.

No matter what you pick, clean them good and give them a light sanding.

DragonGunner
12-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Sand with like 200 grit, clean and primer. Best paint from a can to spray I have found at Big R store, or a farm store, can't remember the name but it will have a Tractor picture on it, made for farm use, very good paint. I've done this on my 400EX a arms in red and it has last for years, just the under side gets rubbed off but easy to touch up.

KKiowaTJ
12-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Use as mentioned implement paint. Cheap and can always touch up. I had good results doing implement plaintiff along with a couple good coats of urethane to add something over the enamel. I used this method from atv's to sprint car chassis and will hold up a couple year before turning cloudy.
But whatever ya do, prep is key to a good outcome. Clean all areas and scuff real good so it will stick. Good luck

HORSE45
12-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks alot guys!

JOHNDOE83
12-25-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks alot guys!

Use aerosol paint stripper from Lowes or home depot, then take a jitter bug type sander with 120 or 220 grit paper, clear coat it and call it a day, mine still look good 5 years later. I did my entire frame that way.