PDA

View Full Version : LT80 Crank replacement

kllrvet
09-20-2015, 06:19 PM
The crank on my son's LT80 has a bit of excessive play, so I decided to teardown and rebuild the motor. Ive been through my four stoke streetbikes, but never any off road single, or two stroke for that matter.

I didn't realize that I need a special tool to press the crank into the new bearings/case. I don't have the one, so does anyone have a suggestion to accomplish this without the Suzuki tool?

Thanks

Tony

LT80
09-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Whoa!! No tool is needed. You need a puller to remove the flywheel but you're past that.
When I do them they slip together without any pressure.
You're going to bend the crankshaft if you press it together. It'll have a vibration.
I sand the main bearing contact surface of the crankshaft in my lathe till the bearings tightly slip onto the crankshaft. Then I heat the cases up and install the bearings.
I also clean up the dowels.
IMO if you have squeezed it any you need to take it apart, make sure the crank is still straight and do the above.
814-922-7470 if you need more advise.
It'll slip together very easy when done correct.
BTW: welcome to the forums. :)

kllrvet
09-22-2015, 09:31 AM
I got it installed, and it went pretty well. I froze the crank overnight and heated the bearing with map gas...it dropped right into place, easy.

I hope I didn't bend it, as I did try to push and rock it into the bearing a couple of times. I was mindful of the fact that the pin was offset, and I didnt want to hurt it. Can it bend with being pushed by hand?

thanks for the advice

Tony

LT80
09-22-2015, 10:18 AM
I think it'll be fine. :)

kllrvet
09-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Any suggestions on compression? I had originally planned on milling appx .030 off of the head, but then I saw mention of leaving the base gasket out. I figured I'd leave the gasket out, and seal the base with TB 1211

You advice is appreciated

Tony

LT80
09-22-2015, 04:24 PM
I shave the heads.
Leaving the gasket out is ok for a stock motor. It is less than .030 but it'll be fine.