PDA

View Full Version : Got back into the game

TacicalRedneck
08-27-2015, 07:25 PM
So tonight I bought a 400ex after I thought I'd never ride another one., I couldnt pass up the deal, the guy didn't know what he had.he said It's an 05 but it's the old bodystyle has no reverse so... But it has a sparks exhaust lonestar a arms, aftermarket oil cooler, swing arm, Handelbars, axle, braided brake lines, I think powder coated frame, and hiding under some shock covers was a set of custom axis shocks with remote resis... I got a really good deal on it...

So it was low on oil when I checked it cold. I got like a drop of oil on the dipstick that was pretty fresh but I know the level seems to go up and down on these things with heat. So. I well. I didn't see any leaks or some.

But a couple of things:

If this thing needs high octane gas or race gas how do I know??

And one more question:
One on of the shocks inside the spring On the "main shaft" I guess you could call it, there are like 2 collars just sitting loose there vibrating when I had the quad running. The ones on the other shock are sitting at the top of the shock. What's the deal with this??

Did I score good??

honda400ex2003
08-28-2015, 02:42 PM
I wouldnt run anything but premium in it, regardless, the only real way to tell is to listen for pinging or take a look at the piston and see what kind it is. if it is aftermarket, it could possibly need 91 or more. anything less than 11:1 you can pretty much run pump gas on unless it is crappy or has ethanol in it.

the shocks, cant help much there but if they are rubber, they are probably stoppers. they will move and be fine on there, they are only there to absorb the last of the stroke on a hard impact that would bottom it out.

youll also want to check the oil with it warm, after running it at idle, then shut it off. To check the oil level, the engine must be warm, a cold engine will give an inaccurate reading. Let it idle (without goosing the throttle) for about five minutes. Shut the engine off. After a few minutes, remove the dip stick, wipe it clean, put the dip stick back in, but without screwing in any of the threads, then remove it to show the oil level. The oil level should be between the two marks.

sounds like you got a good deal on it!

steve

KKiowaTJ
08-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Mine has a tad of cackle with anything less than 91. But if I mix a half in with a couple gallons, it goes away. Jetted correct, but seems to run decent per wise on both, maybe more snap but that's it. This is only my experience with premium 90+ and 110 race. I just usually end up with pump gas, easier and runs just as good.
Hope ya got a title or bill of sale with correct #'s since he thought 05'.
Either way enjoy, can't beat a built quad on the cheap! Might have to fix a few things, but nothing like was spent to get it where it is!

400man
08-28-2015, 07:51 PM
welcome back. post some pics!

TacicalRedneck
08-29-2015, 02:13 PM
welcome back. post some pics!
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o761/lukeectcemail/346D31B7-1DDB-43BA-B7DC-0C5E160A9C2C_zpsh5oyvytz.jpg
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o761/lukeectcemail/E1E39189-AB7B-444D-814C-E623443A2D99.png_zps1s2arr2t.jpeg
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o761/lukeectcemail/3FB6F9D5-B586-485F-92E9-2C9230FB5F68_zpszf52nvfe.png

TacicalRedneck
08-29-2015, 02:15 PM
I also found a set of hiper beadlocks for $350 planning on buying as well

TacicalRedneck
08-30-2015, 12:47 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQ8i5B7jhw

:chinese:

My gear shifter got loose and now is just loose on the shaft so I can't get out of second I tried tightening it but I think the splines on the shaft are to far gone.

Would it hurt it I weld it and it I ever need to take it off how hard is that shaft to change that comes out there??

KKiowaTJ
08-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Won't hold very long, friend has been trying for years. It's $600 +/- at a shop he said to replace shaft. You can try and weld it, but the heat you are transferring through the shaft don't help much either.
Plus the position you need to be in to weld it on correctly with a chance to hold. To each their own on that one. If you bought it right, F it and tack it on as best you can and ride! Good luck either way

To change it, you have to tear the whole motor down!

TacicalRedneck
08-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Won't hold very long, friend has been trying for years. It's $600 +/- at a shop he said to replace shaft. You can try and weld it, but the heat you are transferring through the shaft don't help much either.
Plus the position you need to be in to weld it on correctly with a chance to hold. To each their own on that one. If you bought it right, F it and tack it on as best you can and ride! Good luck either way

To change it, you have to tear the whole motor down!

Well that sounds like bad news...

Maybe I can drill and tap the end of that shaft and rig something up..

KKiowaTJ
08-30-2015, 01:47 PM
I'd try a new cheap lever, or take old one and try and cut splines. When I raced decades ago, my dad always took off the shifters, then ground down or cut where the bolt goes into the shifter. This would pinch it even harder, but down fall is a complete snap nub and all. But that's the chance we took.
If you know a better than average welder, not a farmer, it can be plug welded. How long will it hold? Who knows, but will get ya riding again. Just remember you can't slam gears as much anymore.
Clean up the shafts splines as good as you can, shifter and make sure a welder can get a good arc, he will know how to keep temp down and a plug weld won't warp as bad.

400man
08-30-2015, 10:39 PM
if all else fails and you cant get it to hold, a good tack weld will work on the shifter. we welded the one on my dad's 400 and it lasted for years until we needed to pull the shift lever for some reason, then we just ground the weld out. just make sure you weld it in a way it can be ground back out to get the lever off.

chronicsmoke
09-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Looks like you scored pretty good!

It's a real PITA to replace that shaft.. before I sold my ex I had bought one to replace it but my mechanic buddy said "I'll weld it, then when we split the cases down the road we can replace it" so as he was welding it I sprayed WD40 on the seal to keep it cool. Yes it smoked quite a bit during the procedure but the seal was still perfect after. That actually held for a few years up until I sold it and I bet it's still going strong.

I have that shift shaft somewhere too if you need one.. but for now I'd fund a good welder and have it welded.

CJM
09-01-2015, 10:30 PM
When welding a cold towel will work as well and taking your time so as to not heat up the shaft too much.

TacicalRedneck
09-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I decided not to weld it-

bought an aftermarket shift lever instead, IMS I believe. The splines on the back of the shaft were still ok so it feels pretty good. I love the feel of the lever to- sits a tad higher than the stock one- good for shifting up gears. It bends backward though- I don't know why anyone would want that- but its made that way...

DragonGunner
09-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Pretty sure they made them like that so if a branch, stick or whatever comes up and hits it, it can rotate and deflect object instead of being rigid and breaking or bending…..most if not all your dirt bikes will have these stock already.

TacicalRedneck
09-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Well I bought a set of 4 hiper tech 3 beadlocks today, rear are dual beadlocks..... For $250...

Hooray!

400man
09-29-2015, 11:52 AM
hell of a deal. post some pics!

CJM
09-29-2015, 09:49 PM
I love the IMS shifter I put them on everything. The reason it bends is incase you snag something or your boot gets stuck.

TacicalRedneck
09-30-2015, 09:20 AM
]http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o761/lukeectcemail/81908864-D9B4-4728-AA4D-D3B8DE52D38F_zps0u3ng5lu.jpg

Here's the $1450 400ex

TacicalRedneck
09-30-2015, 09:30 AM
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o761/lukeectcemail/B5BD6FE9-7310-40A6-8D51-BBE1EE5D0291_zpswrkc66t4.jpg

Teaser

400man
10-01-2015, 12:24 PM
great looking 400! all you need is some tires and you will be ready to hit some woods races lol

exracer416
10-10-2015, 12:36 AM
I ran a welded shifter for quite a while until I finally swapped bottom ends. I'd say you'll be fine.