PDA

View Full Version : 400ex clutch/trans question

dodgeram14jr
08-25-2015, 05:22 PM
I have a 2001 honda 400ex. I recently replaced the clutch. I was riding this past weekend and noticed while riding it was a little hard to get it in 2nd gear. I tryed pulling out in 2nd gear to see if it gave the same problem and it went in but not to smoothly. It kinda made a clunking noise and the higher the rpms the worse the noise got. As far as I could tell it only made the clunking noise when shifting into 2nd to pull out not while riding it just was a little difficult to get it in 2nd. Any idea would be helpful. Could it be my riding boot and the shift lever not having enough room in between them? I only started noticing the problem. Any help is appreciated Thanks

dodgeram14jr
08-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Any thoughts?

honda400ex2003
08-28-2015, 02:50 PM
could be shift forks that are getting worn or bent from a poor shifting or power shifting or gears that are wearing from poor shifting or a poorly adjusted clutch.

could also be that the clutch is not releasing all the way, it would be worth checking to make sure it is adjusted to within specs on the bar and side case. it will take a little bit to get it broken in, then it will need to be adjusted again. you will notice it on the bars though for sure if that is the case.

if it is only happening in 2nd gear, it most likely isnt your boot catching, it would do it all the time otherwise. id be willing to bet that if you have rode it for many years with riding boots, it may be getting worn or bent from shifting hard before the clutch is completely disengaged. just a thought though, id check adjustment first though.

steve

dodgeram14jr
08-28-2015, 04:57 PM
Ok any advice on adjusting the clutch. I'm kinda new to adjusting the clutch. If the clutch adjustment doesn't help will it hurt to ride it. Thanks for the help.

DragonGunner
08-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Ok any advice on adjusting the clutch. I'm kinda new to adjusting the clutch. If the clutch adjustment doesn't help will it hurt to ride it. Thanks for the help.

2 adjustments, one at tranny, and the other your clutch perch. Once you think you have it right at the tranny then work your clutch handle while running….with clutch pulled in you should rev motor without quad moving, let out just a little to engage and go, and when you pull the clutch in you should have a little play before in engages…..just got find the adjustment on both ends to accomplish this.