PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Help

Chipotle
08-17-2015, 08:36 AM
I am really looking into doing some 400 class hare shambles here in FL and have been slowly building my quad. After spending the weekend with two of my friends who race B class 450's I noticed one major thing that they had over me. Working suspension. As they hit bumps ruts roots and all the other fun stuff that happens in the woods their bikes kept level, smooth, and they never slowed down. As I followed them I felt like I was riding a bull getting bucked all over the place. I just purchased a set of 450r fronts and I have a series of questions.
Are long travel a-arms worth it?
What is a good solid brand that's not going to rape my wallet?
Who do I send the shocks to get them setup for me?
How much should this cost? (Generally speaking)
Should I send the rear shock off with the front or replace?
I read a few places about linkage in the rear. Is that something I need to look into?

I know I don't need motor mods to be faster when I can't control what I have now. Thanks for all the help.

KKiowaTJ
08-17-2015, 09:42 AM
I asked the same questions when ordering. Long travel won't help much if any if you get a regular setup set for you. The fronts need new coils and valved, depends on how much you want to spend. My guy triple rates with gold race tech valves for $600 +/-. Just have your rear redone, I asked him too about a link, he said if you want to spend money on something I can do in the shock, your $$.
Everyone has their own favorite a arms or company, I went with American star. I got the auto ball joint outer +2+1 arms stock travel. Money wise, never kept track as I wanted all new. New one piece braided front line, new axle, carrier, front wheel bearings etc so my bill was up there and didn't care.
But from reading over the years, stay away from full flight! GT thunder if still doing work and or parts around, buy and run them! There is a lot of great info around here, just do a search or searches lol. I'd say you might be able to get a front end for $1200 +/- fully finished, but that's ballpark and no prices in front of me. Good luck either way

Chipotle
08-20-2015, 05:37 AM
What about my rear shock?

400man
08-20-2015, 12:28 PM
I asked the same questions when ordering. Long travel won't help much if any if you get a regular setup set for you. The fronts need new coils and valved, depends on how much you want to spend. My guy triple rates with gold race tech valves for $600 +/-. Just have your rear redone, I asked him too about a link, he said if you want to spend money on something I can do in the shock, your $$.
Everyone has their own favorite a arms or company, I went with American star. I got the auto ball joint outer +2+1 arms stock travel. Money wise, never kept track as I wanted all new. New one piece braided front line, new axle, carrier, front wheel bearings etc so my bill was up there and didn't care.
But from reading over the years, stay away from full flight! GT thunder if still doing work and or parts around, buy and run them! There is a lot of great info around here, just do a search or searches lol. I'd say you might be able to get a front end for $1200 +/- fully finished, but that's ballpark and no prices in front of me. Good luck either way

so he can set the shock up to work better with the stock linkage? what all does he do different to it on the valving?

KKiowaTJ
08-20-2015, 09:06 PM
I asked him which link to buy for my needs and I was leaning toward mx. He laughed and said if the shinny piece of aluminum is that important to ya, buy it! 'Nothing I can't do inside the shock with valving and new spring rate'.
He builds race tech suspensions, equipment, materials, fluids etc. The spring I'm not 100% where it comes from, but we'll made springs. No complaints and if you are a serious racer there is two pro tracks available for use.