cryan54935
03-24-2003, 12:01 PM
I have a 400ex with the following mods:
DG nerf bars
Renthal bars FMF powerbomb
E series pipe
K & N air filter w/outerware
155 main jet

My friend has a 400z and smokes me all the time. He is about 10mph faster than me. All he has is a full Yoshimura exhaust and a 150 main.

Is it worth sticking money into the single overhead cam air cooled beast or should I go to the darkside and get a Z.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

muff
03-24-2003, 12:12 PM
well what kind of riding do you do? where does he beat you

NoFrillz
03-24-2003, 12:18 PM
If you want fastest most reliable ride, it makes more sense to sink money in to a more current liquid cooled engine, I mean with the 400ex you will always have cooling to worry about, with the z you don't even have to go into the motor to be faster than some done up ex's. so thats what I'm doin, anyone wanna buy a 400ex???

cryan54935
03-24-2003, 12:24 PM
I run alot on the ice and plan to ride on a mx track.

muff
03-24-2003, 02:03 PM
i dont think the big money difference for what you could get for your ex and what you'd get a z for would be worth it

if i were you I'd get some decent shocks for your ex and maybe a little engine work

nofrillz has a good point, but it would be best if you didnt already have a quad

luvmyex
03-24-2003, 02:09 PM
My friend has a Z.he "used" to smoke me,bad! I did have the slowest 400ex out of the 3 i usually ride with.I added the W/B exhust,that got me even with 2 of the 400's,but one was still leaving my from 3rd on.Then i added the piston and cam.:eek2:
Well im not the slow one nomore!First time i raced i beat all of them.I beat two of the 400's bad,the other one was pretty close about two quads back.His is fast for some reason.Just jetted and a W/B slip on.But the Z was DUSTED!he was 7-8 quads back.Well he didnt like that.He had the T 4 slip on.After being smoked he rejeted,opened his air box,and went down to a 13 th ct sprocket,from 14th.I had went back up to a 15th.we raced again he beat me by a quad.I went back to a 14th,didnt like the 15.Raced again,i jumped out front from the start, by i dont know how much.Didnt look.but i never saw him.about 3/4 tru 5th gear i could hear him easing up on me,but never caught me.
So go waste your money on a Z400,and get a tippy,really f-up rear end,weak frame&axle,POS zukie if you want.Ill stick to my EX and leave you in the dust too!:D

northeast400
03-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I ride with about 15 to 20 people each ride, I have some bolt on stuff. In the trails we are all about the same, they ride Raptors, KFX 400s, predators, Zs, and a banshee, the only ones that beat me on the flats are predators, and raptors, but when we go into turns the 4 of us who have Ex 400s turn right under them, and if we ever start getting beat there is always a 440 kit. so when people say there out dated and slow. I say get some riding lessons and bring it!!!!!!!!