PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure your machine?

toonces
08-03-2015, 06:16 PM
For the time being I'm gonna have to let the old 4x4 sit out back next to my garage. But I'm not too happy with it just sitting out in the open and I'm wondering what would be a good way to deter thieves. First it'll be covered of course from top to bottom. Second I guess I'll be digging big a** hole and filling it with probably around 500lbs of concrete with a giant 1" diameter loop of rod sticking out the top. It'll actually be a huge U-bolt clamp I'll get from a local fastener company. Using this I'll try to physically secure it looping some hardened chain through what part of the atv I don't know.

Only other idea (which is a bit far fetched I'll admit) is to hook up some kind of alarm system by way of a cable like you see sometimes on store merchandise out for display. I assume it would be hooked up to a loud speaker. Again I know this one is going somewhat overboard but considering how easily the quad could be jacked it might be the one deterrent that keeps it safe.

Open to your suggestions

PS. Don't really live in a bad neighborhood but the neighborhood kids are through my back yard all the time especially at night...thus the need for security.

Scro
08-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Theft insurance. Seriously, if a thief wants it, he'll get it. Locking it under chain will keep the neighborhood kids from taking it. But an experienced thief? Couple of snips, and he's gone in under a minute.

toonces
08-06-2015, 09:22 PM
I def agree Scro. If they're professional and have the chance to make multiple visits to work on it it's probably gonna be theirs. I'll probably do a number of different deterrents but in the end it's gonna be the insurance that gives peace of mind.

witech
08-07-2015, 05:08 PM
sadly a cordless drill with a cutoff wheel will go through padlocks in seconds and large chains in around a minute. I would make it less desirable to steal . Make one or more tires flat so it will be hard to roll . Pull the plug wire ,remove battery stick something next to it so it has to be moved . Of all things store it in a well lit area thats in good view of everyone so if they are messing with it they can be seen. Have a security camara watching it. But like others have said . Insurance is a must if your leaving it out in the open. I know someone who lives right next to a bank and had his entire collection taken at 11am while he was at work so if they want it they are going to get it. Welcome to the world we live in.

blacknblue#2
08-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Insure it and throw a lock on it, like scro said if they want it they will get it, then just collect....that's what you pay insurance for. Until you can store it inside I wouldn't waste the time of personalizing it to yourself because the chances of getting stolen are bigger and insurance wont cover mods. I do agree with a simple "break down" pull the plug wire off. I had a CR80 pit bike stole in Hatfield McCoy years back. We had blown it up early in the weekend. The thieves shoved it about a mile or so and I guess once they realized it didn't run it was shoved in the ditch.