PDA

View Full Version : Can am ds 90 transmission oil capacity? How many oz?

demonknight
07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Hi there,
Just picked up one of these for the kids (2002 2 stroke CVT transmission)...
Called the dealership and been searching online no one seems to know what the capacity is for the trans.. It's apparently not even in the manual..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

demonknight
07-07-2015, 09:09 AM
UPDATE:
So after combing the net with no luck, and calling quite a few Can Am dealers, and speaking many to parts and service guys I have 2 of them from different shops saying that it requires 6oz..They didn't even seem too sure of it either, because their service manual only went down to 2008.. So if anyone can confirm this that would be great..

Their fluid reccomendation was "( BPR XPS SYNTHETIC CHAINCASE OIL) which has a viscosity or 75-140
I personally use Amsoil in all my machines and Harley, and have had great results. I wouldn't use anything other.

From further research the Amsoil website, and I quote

"BRP recommends XPS Synthetic Chaincase Oil (part # 413803300) in its snowmobile chaincases and ATV gearboxes. Although AMSOIL has traditionally recommended AMSOIL Synthetic Chaincase Oil (TCC) for these applications, that recommendation has expanded to include AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic 75W-140 (SVO) as an option for those who desire a product with properties more closely aligned with XPS Chaincase Oil. Going forward, both AMSOIL Synthetic Chaincase Oil and Sever Gear 75W-140 are acceptable for use in Skidoo Chaincases and Can-Am 4 Wheeler gearboxes.

So if we can confirm that the 2002 up to 2008 DS 90 2 stroke CVT transmissions take "6oz" oz 75-140 we can lay this one to rest.
Seems like a lot of effort but I've read that too much gear lube in these things will blow seals fast so I'm just being cautious...