PDA

View Full Version : Real 400ex upgrades?

Chipotle
07-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Looking for help upgrading my quad. I am looking to start fun racing hare scrambles. I know it's a stamina race and conditioning is key. I would like to upgrade my quad to help not wear me down so fast and be able to keep a good pace throughout the entire race.

I know I need to upgrade the front shocks from stock. 450r shocks?
What else would you guys reccomend?

03 400ex
Yoshimura exhaust
AEM Brute Force dry flow filter
EHS Racing Outerwears Lid
Renthal 14T Front Sprocket
Jet kit adjusted for atmospheric and riding conditions
DuraBlue Axel
dg nerf bars
Renthal Handle Bars
WB Rev Box
ITP Holeshot rubber all the way around

DragonGunner
07-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I have put clear silicone in my bars and steering stem to help deaden vibration. I now run a Lonestar anti-vibe stem. Also whatever shocks you go with have them built for your riding weight and style or you will just be chasing your tail. A must have also is a steering stabilizer, I used a Denton adjustable stick for over a decade and just went with the CCP puck style and like it way better. I also run a Lonestar +1 swing arm and rebuilt stock rear shock into a dual rate, so much better, can't even enjoy riding a stock EX anymore. The stabilizer with front shocks should be your top to do list.

slightlybent47
07-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Glad you didn't ask for motor mods.
The EX has more motor then suspension to handle it.
Change the valving on the stock rear shock or get an after market one.
The front needs +2'' but not necessarily long travel, but long travel is better.
And up grade to at least 450 shocks on the front.
The stock bars are fine for XC.
Any bar with a cross bar on it will transfer the energy to your hands and arms.The stock bars actually flexes a bit reducing fatigue
A steering stabilizer works wonders.
Run it as is.
Nothing like an ex that beats the crap out of you for getting shape.

And just so you know.
It's not how fast your bike is.
It's how well you ride it.

Chipotle
07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Thank you for all the help!
I purchased a set of 450r front shocks (waiting on delivery) and now I am looking at steering stabilizers.
A friend of mine swears "Precision or nothing" and I understand that its superior for a reason but the CCP has me intrigued. If I really have a fun time this season I plan to purchase a 450 and building it exactly how I want it. I am having a hard time spending $500 on a stabilizer for a quad I may only use for one season. That being said what would you guys recommend?

Blodg
07-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Get the CCP for sure, I have one on my EX and it works great. The Precision is better but for the cost the CCP works great for the vast majority of riders.

Chipotle
07-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Just placed my order

slightlybent47
07-09-2015, 01:47 PM
If you plan on buying another bike next year, then just ride it like it is.
Used bikes can save you a lot of money, if there already set up.
Plenty of them on the market.
You can find bikes that have 20 grand tied up into them for 5 grand.
But I would only buy a used bike from a trusted friend.

Chipotle
07-09-2015, 02:52 PM
That's my plan. Modded and used is a lot cheaper than doing it all myself.

jcs003
07-11-2015, 11:32 AM
call andy at **** tech. he is a suspension wizard and can set you straight.

john

Chipotle
07-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Who?

jcs003
07-17-2015, 02:11 PM
andy.m.a.u.l.tech

KKiowaTJ
07-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Never wasted $$ on a stabilizer, didn't need them years ago, don't need it now. Put some more hours and seat time in imo. The furthest I went, was fill the bars with fill seal foam, same as silicone but a lot lighter. Other than that the smoother you feel on a trail or track, faster you will go. Even fronts only are night and day when 450's are triple rated and dialed in for you. Good luck and have fun

DragonGunner
07-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Never wasted $$ on a stabilizer, didn't need them years ago, don't need it now. Put some more hours and seat time in imo. The furthest I went, was fill the bars with fill seal foam, same as silicone but a lot lighter. Other than that the smoother you feel on a trail or track, faster you will go. Even fronts only are night and day when 450's are triple rated and dialed in for you. Good luck and have fun

To bad you didn't waste that money on one…..you don't know what you missed out on, could of been faster, reason the pro's use them….wonder if they thought they were a waste of money. Seen guys on MX and XC go to a stabilizer and never ride without one again, much faster and endurance lasts so much longer making faster times. My son went with the CCP last year and couldn't believe how much better the ride was…..he went on and won the Quad B Grand Prix Championship at Reads Racing. Thats a 45 minute sprint over MX and XC combined. He'll tell ya best money he spent on his quad, day and night difference.

KKiowaTJ
07-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Still a waste of money that can go elsewhere! Exactly, you're son is too weak to man handle his bike like we all used to have to do. I just rode a little harder and put in more time. Like a gripper seat cover, made for *****s who can't hold on and transition weight consistently.
I have rode with one on, did not impress me in the least and when I herd how much $$, I laughed my butt off. This was after we rode for many hours and said person was in the dust. But he swore it was a good buy, yet he was the last one back!
Then again, mommy and daddy dump tons of $$ because they think their kids the next goat! Too bad they don't sell talent and common sense with the high dollar quads, it's much needed.
To each their own, I never missed out on anything worth while! IMO it's pretty sad people are getting more pampered than more skill and endurance.

07-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Other than suspension and tires/wheels, a steering stabilizer is the single best improvement for xc racing period. It lessens the abuse the rider takes through the bars which makes them able to ride harder for a longer period of time. Every B class or faster racer runs a stabilizer and any C class racer who wants to get faster needs a stabilizer.

KKiowaTJ
07-18-2015, 06:58 PM
That's funny, I'm a B rider who has never touched one! Nothing more than a band aid to make a no talent goon rider an obstacle or a crash waiting to happen!

Not arguing they are bad, but what did the sport and riders do before them? Same thing! At the same speeds! Just like a 450 in the C class, out of the gate it's 'fast', but around the corner he's rolling jumps, causes a lot of problems for others who are in the race.
I keep my momentum up and if I need to ride for 2 solid hours, I'm going to make sure I can for 4. Pros have them for the fact free to them. Then again, seems the less effort you put in is the key anymore. Along with mommy's and daddy's who waste tons on their no talent kids.

ThePhantomRider
07-19-2015, 02:36 AM
BPE Exhaust systems....dyno the highest and have the lowest weight and db level. Look them up at atvconnection.com under BPE

TPR

DragonGunner
07-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Still a waste of money that can go elsewhere! Exactly, you're son is too weak to man handle his bike like we all used to have to do. I just rode a little harder and put in more time. Like a gripper seat cover, made for *****s who can't hold on and transition weight consistently.
I have rode with one on, did not impress me in the least and when I herd how much $$, I laughed my butt off. This was after we rode for many hours and said person was in the dust. But he swore it was a good buy, yet he was the last one back!
Then again, mommy and daddy dump tons of $$ because they think their kids the next goat! Too bad they don't sell talent and common sense with the high dollar quads, it's much needed.
To each their own, I never missed out on anything worth while! IMO it's pretty sad people are getting more pampered than more skill and endurance.

Ya your the real man aren't you….Doug Gust, John Natile, Chris Borich, aren't real man either according to your opinion….how many of these weak guys did you ever beat? They were such wimps you know….sad you have no real knowledge what your talking about.

Blodg
07-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Everyone knows that a steering stabilizer is one of the best upgrades you can make for the money as #484 said.

DragonGunner
07-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Everyone knows that a steering stabilizer is one of the best upgrades you can make for the money as #484 said.

Well…..except for one guy.

KKiowaTJ
07-24-2015, 03:44 PM
None of the people I ride with run them either. To each their own, no control or fatigue problems either!

samm3020
07-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Provided this is way off what the Op asked....I never rode with a stabilizer until I could afford one. Broke college kids can't buy too many toys....but all it takes is 1 good smack on a rock or tree root to realize you benefit from a stabilizer. Its a fact of life when going fast on an XC track at some point your gonna hit something....with a good stabilizer you can slam into something with 1 front tire and the bars hardly move....could be the difference between sore chest where you hit the bars and a broken wrist. It also definitely makes it easier to ride.

Its to each his own but I don't think I could ever go back to no gripper seat and no stabilizer on my 450.....my 400 already has a stabilizer and will soon have a gripper seat too....if those things make riding more enjoyable and controllable and I'm a goon who can't ride because I use both.....then that's fine with me.

DragonGunner
07-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Provided this is way off what the Op asked....I never rode with a stabilizer until I could afford one. Broke college kids can't buy too many toys....but all it takes is 1 good smack on a rock or tree root to realize you benefit from a stabilizer. Its a fact of life when going fast on an XC track at some point your gonna hit something....with a good stabilizer you can slam into something with 1 front tire and the bars hardly move....could be the difference between sore chest where you hit the bars and a broken wrist. It also definitely makes it easier to ride.

Its to each his own but I don't think I could ever go back to no gripper seat and no stabilizer on my 450.....my 400 already has a stabilizer and will soon have a gripper seat too....if those things make riding more enjoyable and controllable and I'm a goon who can't ride because I use both.....then that's fine with me.

Excellent points also.

Blodg
07-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Nice post samm, anything to make riding more enjoyable and fun because that should be what it's all about. If KK's points were valid then there would be no reason to do any upgrades. Instead of better suspension just work harder, instead of a-arms or axle just get better or ride harder to overcome the poor handling.

KKiowaTJ
07-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Never said suspension was a waste or a-arms. Just that a stabilizer is the last on the list mod wise. I guess if it takes these options to keep you guys riding longer, so be it!
I have hit rocks, ruts, trees, etc and I get to feel the terrain. I like a ridged ride, keeps me knowing where I need to be and going. I have no problems staying or holding on to my quad, seems many do!

400man
07-30-2015, 12:18 PM
to me, a steering stabilzer is a nice extra part to have, but not absolutely necessary. I have one on my race bike, but my brother has never really used one on his banshee or his 450r he rides now. every so often in a woods race I may clip a tree or something and it will jerk the bars hard, and usually hurts your wrists and such, but each time I say to myself, "damn Im glad I got that stabilizer" lol. depending on how stiff its set, will soak up alot of the jerk and slow down how fast it turns. but the stiffer the setting, the more effort it takes to turn the bars. so you could also look at it like strength training with the stabilizer turned way up :muscle: