PDA

View Full Version : 3 Qs on price negotiations, 'title safety', and older Polarises

toonces
06-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Ok another three questions to help me get up to speed on getting my first ATV...

1- It's after the court clerk has closed and you're standing there with the guy after your test drive and you've decided you really want the machine he's selling, and if you don't put cash in his hand now it might be gone tomorrow. So how do you know there's not a lien on the title or that the machine is even his? Just wondering how you go about purchasing a machine and make sure you don't get ripped off somehow title wise.

2- How much do private parties generally come off their asking price if they haven't put something like 'FIRM' in their advertisement? Also, how much do dealerships generally come off their price?

3- I've been told to stay away from ten year old Polaris from a number of different people, but that they've come a long way since then. How old is the oldest Polaris I should consider buying used? Around when did they start to improve in quality?

Thanks

Zakradu398
06-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Ok another three questions to help me get up to speed on getting my first ATV...

1- It's after the court clerk has closed and you're standing there with the guy after your test drive and you've decided you really want the machine he's selling, and if you don't put cash in his hand now it might be gone tomorrow. So how do you know there's not a lien on the title or that the machine is even his? Just wondering how you go about purchasing a machine and make sure you don't get ripped off somehow title wise.

Get the Vin number before you go there and call the DMV with it, if he won't give the VIN over the phone, something is fishy.
If the ATV is out of state you need to call that states DMV, it wont bring it up from another state.

2- How much do private parties generally come off their asking price if they haven't put something like 'FIRM' in their advertisement? Also, how much do dealerships generally come off their price?

It is different everywhere. If somebody is seling something for 2,000. Offer them 1500, when they say no ask their lowest and try to jew them down another couple hundred.

3- I've been told to stay away from ten year old Polaris from a number of different people, but that they've come a long way since then. How old is the oldest Polaris I should consider buying used? Around when did they start to improve in quality?

NO to any polaris, new or ancient.

Thanks

My answers in bold.

miller821
06-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Not everyone has the title with it for various reasons, and if it sounds like a legit reason then just ask for a bill of sale. If they won't write or sign a bill of sale then I'd walk away.

As far as coming down for private party, anytime I list a motorcycle or atv I always list it so that I can come down $300 off my price and still get what I want. So like Zak said, I'd offer $500 less to what someone was selling theirs for, and expect them to counter at $200-300 off.

toonces
07-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. A couple steps closer to my first atv now.

quad2xtreme
07-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Most lien holders will make sure they are listed on a title...assuming there is a title in your case.