PDA

View Full Version : 02 400EX in need of help

Kimper
06-20-2015, 02:12 PM
I just picked up a 2002 400EX for 100 bucks that has a few issues to say the least. First off it the key and ignition is missing. Second is it seems to be stuck in 1st gear but I am not sure because I can't get it started. I think I have the wires to the ignition jumped so I can at least turn the engine over (red to black and green and black/white open). Now I am not getting any spark to the plug... I have checked for power to the coil and I get nothing, is there a way to check and see if the ignition control module is working? Can anyone guide me in the right direction on this one?

slightlybent47
06-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Could be a few things, but I guess that's what you get for 100 bucks. lol
Could be the coil, stater, stater pickup, or a number of things.
Sounds like its been through the ringer and it looks like your going to be tinkering for awhile.
Electrical issues can be a pain in the *****.
Good lock with it.
Keep us posted.

Kimper
06-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the great advise.. Lol. I will do my best and keep you posted

CJM
06-20-2015, 06:20 PM
That year you should be able to buy an ignition off ebay for and its plug and play. As to why its stuck in first gear, could be a worn or damaged trans. Even so you can find someone parting out an EX rather easy and get one.

Kimper
06-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Well I got it running but not very well. I pulled it apart and it has a 178 main jet which seems a little much but it also has a slip on DG silencer. Can anyone help with ruff carb setup just to get it idling.

Kimper
06-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Figured out the gas tank was putting enough fuel into the carb so I hand fed the carb with a pop bottle full of gas and this baby ran perfect. My next step is out a chain in it and see about the tranny situation..

slightlybent47
06-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the great advise.. Lol. I will do my best and keep you posted

Hey! I was only trying to help. You didn't need to be sarcastic.