PDA

View Full Version : Oil foaming in my 400

OZ-T
06-14-2015, 09:24 PM
2 days ago I changed out my Lucas 10w40 semi synthetic for full synthetic 10w40 Amsoil motorcycle oil after hearing all this hype on Amsoil I want to try it in my quad to see if it's worth it or not to invest in it for all my vehicles. Anyway, I am a big anal retentive about it because it's supposed to be the top notch oil out there. Today I went for about a 20 minute ride, enough to get the engine up to operating temperature and keep it there. Anyway, when I got home I pulled the dipstick and noticed that the oil on it had a bunch of bubbles on it and I could see foam around the opening of the oil tank as well. I don't know if my Lucas ever did this as I never pulled the dipstick after it had been running before. I just need to know if this is a problem I should be concerned about. At $13 a quart, I sure hope not. Other than that, I like everything so far about the way Amsoil works. My engine quieted down a bunch and shifts smoother than ever, it seems to have more power response and pulls harder too.

2013 Honda 400X is what I have, I am the original owner and it's completely bone stock if that helps.

matt14c
06-15-2015, 11:33 PM
There are detergents in oil it could be from that. Not sure what happens after first going to a full synthetic either. Ive ran amsoil for years never had a problem. Only thing id suggest is maybe somehow you got water in the system? Maybe something wasn't tight when you washed it?

OZ-T
01-02-2016, 08:02 PM
I didn't get to do much riding this summer, only got 2 rides in so the oil only has less than 10 hours on it. Guess I will test it out more next summer and see how it does. Should I use the oil that I currently have or change it? I bought a preferred customer membership with Amsoil so can get the oil at wholesale price which is less than oils I get at the parts store so it's actually cheaper to go with Amsoil over Mobil 1 or Castrol motorcycle oils. I'd never run the junk Honda oil in any of my machines, I wouldn't run that crap in my lawnmower.

miller821
01-02-2016, 08:54 PM
I didn't get to do much riding this summer, only got 2 rides in so the oil only has less than 10 hours on it. Guess I will test it out more next summer and see how it does. Should I use the oil that I currently have or change it? I bought a preferred customer membership with Amsoil so can get the oil at wholesale price which is less than oils I get at the parts store so it's actually cheaper to go with Amsoil over Mobil 1 or Castrol motorcycle oils. I'd never run the junk Honda oil in any of my machines, I wouldn't run that crap in my lawnmower.

I may be wrong in my thinking, and this is my thinking only. But I change my oil every year regardless of whether I rode it once or 5 times. Same goes for a truck that I have that gets less than 2,000 miles on it a year. Changing the oil at least yearly is better to me than risking it being broken down or anything else that could happen.

KKiowaTJ
01-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Change it and go back and see if Lucas foams? But yes, not matter what oil breaks down and should be changed no matter what yearly or twice a year imo. For no more than $25 buck to cover you're ***, is it really worth it not to change it? Good luck either way