PDA

View Full Version : Racing Tips, what works for you ? xc

dxcody
06-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Hey guys, haven't posted in a long time.
Have done quite a few XC races, from GNCC to MAXC to IXCR and Midwest.. B class, top finish is 3rd ...Etc..
My first lap KILLS me.

How do you prevent those rusty starts? I mean I can be first off the line and into the woods but then as soon as I hit the woods it falls apart. It always takes me at least a lap, most of the time 2 laps to get comfortable and find a steady pace..

Any advice for that other than just walking the track prerace?

fastredrider44
06-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Its mental for me. Visualize the start, try to get a feeling for riding the bike while you are in the truck on the way to the race, try to walk the first little bit of the track and get a feel for what gear you're going to be in and how your fourwheeler will react to the terrain, then don't psych yourself out. Get dressed at a normal pace, joke around with your friends, cruise to the line, and talk to your friends and competition. When you go into the woods, I don't care if you're first or last, stay as calm as possible and try to get the rhythm as soon as you can. I used to get worked up, and go into the woods and wreck right away or get arm pump, or whatever, but the race isn't won on the first lap (typically) but it can be lost on the first lap.

dxcody
08-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Thanks man, good advice.. I am about ready to get back into it.. I havent raced since February of this year and it is driving me nuts.. God the quad all ready to go the last few days and just got some rain so looks like its practice time.

I did notice last year at Ironman.. I was like 30th off the line, 7th onto the MX track and I had such a strong mindset going in, I had been riding so very often and racing, doing well.. and I never got tired and appearently had a good pace also but then my dang fronjt sprocket fell off in the last field before twin hills ... bummer. lol

My last race was a MWXC, the first one of the year, cold, muddy, etc.. That probably explains a lot of it.. I just know I was doing alright and a mile in I smacked a tree and was under my quad.. The first thing my buddy asked me when i got back to the trailer after the race was, "Hey man, how come i passed you on the first lap and your fourwheeler was on top of you?" LOL Smart*****