PDA

View Full Version : 400ex nerfs vs. heel guards.

HORSE45
05-02-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm building my 400 and looking for suggestions on nerf bars or heel guards. thanks

DragonGunner
05-02-2015, 08:09 PM
I'm building my 400 and looking for suggestions on nerf bars or heel guards. thanks

I think most brands are good, I've ran AC and DG, neither have the heel guards but if you can get heel guards built it I would get them, I personally know one guy you came up short on a jump and his boot went behind nerd and down and tire rolled and broke his ankle, foot and leg so bad he's pretty much crippled up on that leg, ended racing fast for him and he was a good A rider. I like the looks of Pro Armour nerfs with heel guard, but if you find Tusk they will be cheaper.

MtnEX
05-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Yeah there are a lot of choices. Just make sure you get heel guards or the classic nerf style like mine that has the bar behind the peg where your foot can't fall behind the peg in front of the tire.

I also see a big trend in XC of a lot of guys just running heel guards. Also not smart. All it takes is one slip.

DragonGunner
05-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Yeah there are a lot of choices. Just make sure you get heel guards or the classic nerf style like mine that has the bar behind the peg where your foot can't fall behind the peg in front of the tire.

I also see a big trend in XC of a lot of guys just running heel guards. Also not smart. All it takes is one slip.

Always been that way in XC racing, I still prefer nerfs just because of side hitting a tree or locking wheels at the starts. The main reason for not running nerfs in XC is so if you get stuck you can get your feet down to push off or pushing back to back up and get going again……its a trade off.

samm3020
05-03-2015, 08:48 AM
I have full nerf/heel guards on both my 400 I ride in the woods and my 450 I ride for mx....I love having the extra security even if it means some sticks get stuck in my nets every now and then.

My riding buddy and I both have had a set of the tusk full nerfs on our 450s for probably 3-4 years...the rear brackets kinda suck but if your looking for good protection with out spending a ton of money its a great option. imo

CJM
05-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Ran over my foot just once using just the stock pegs on the 400. I bought nerfs the very next day, I run nerfs on my 450 as well. For the money the tusk nerf or heel guards are very nice. I splurged and bought some mint used pro armor revolutions for the 450 and love them. But the tusk nerfs on the 400 were nice for the cost.

Guilow
05-04-2015, 08:30 AM
I just put some Tusk bars on both my 400 and 450. Kept the existing stock heel guards.

HORSE45
05-23-2015, 09:09 PM
looks good man!

06-01-2015, 02:16 PM
if your on a budget go for some dg or the AC since you can keep the stock heel guards and not tusk the bend and scratch to easiesly

HORSE45
07-27-2015, 12:53 PM
I ended up getting full XFR pro pegs. They were pricey but WOW! Did an xc race on them last weekend and couldnt have been more comfortable! My feet didnt slip once! Anybody looking for nerfs should definitely check out XFR!