PDA

View Full Version : 2005 426EX woes

Joshwfl
04-23-2015, 03:44 PM
I bought this a couple months ago. I didn't really need it, but got a great deal.

Work done includes:
426 big bore
Hot Cams stage 2 cam
T4 pipe, K&N filter
Previous owner said he always ran AV gas. Has a 170 main in it.

It had sat for a while, but still started up. I changed the oil, flushed the tank, cleaned the carb, and topped it off with fresh AV.

It started right up, idled great, and seemed to run fine putting around the yard. Fast forward to a week later, we loaded up and headed to Croom for the day. It was fine slow trail riding with my son, but as soon as I would gas it, it would bog way down. It wouldn't stall, but would just stumble and fall on it's face.

I pulled the carb off last night and recleaned with no change. I raised the needle one clip, (was in the center position) and it made it worse. I then lowered it one clip and noticed a slight change, lowered it one more clip and it seems much better. The needle is now at the lowest position, or should I say the clip is in the top most position.

It starts up and runs great, has no hesitation, but only revs to about 3/4 rpm. Riding around the neighborhood it will still lift the wheels in 3rd, but it's obviously not hitting it's full rpm. Applying the choke, (even cold) causes it to run worse. Replacing the airbox lid causes the same. I've read that AV gas needs fatter jetting, but I can't imagine it's still running rich with a 170 main.

I could easily spend the day riding as it is with no issues, but it's a backup/buddy bike and I'd like it to be running perfect. Any suggestions?

Stickman400
04-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Try putting a 175 or 180 in it. A 426 with a cam, pipe, filter and lo lid would be in the 175 range for the main. Also, what compression is it? If it's 11:1 or less you can run pump gas and leave that AV fuel alone, won't need it.

Joshwfl
04-23-2015, 04:45 PM
I appreciate your response. I'm not sure of the compression, but I was taking his word for it on the AV gas.

By raising the clip, I've effectively lowered the needle and leaned out the carb. It's running better in this position, can you explain why you think a larger main would work better? I was thinking the opposite, that I might need to drop one jet size.

honda386
04-24-2015, 12:35 PM
I appreciate your response. I'm not sure of the compression, but I was taking his word for it on the AV gas.

By raising the clip, I've effectively lowered the needle and leaned out the carb. It's running better in this position, can you explain why you think a larger main would work better? I was thinking the opposite, that I might need to drop one jet size.

I live north of Brooksville have a similar bike I run 93 , stock needle 3rd clip 42 pilot, a/f 2.5 out 178kehin main and it screams .

Joshwfl
04-24-2015, 01:03 PM
I'll pick up a couple jets and give it a shot this weekend.