PDA

View Full Version : New to hare scrambles/XC scene

HORSE45
04-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Hi. I'm a new member on here. I have a 2002 400ex. I have a slip on, k&n, skid plate and jet kit. I want to run GBC X Rex tires for sure, probably switch to a 14 tooth sprocket and that's about all I'm sure about. I need advice on the rest. Bumpers, grab bar, bars, grips, brakes, hand guards,nerf bars, all that. I want to keep my engine mostly stock. I also need advice on gear. I have a helmet and goggles and gloves are cheap. I need advice on cheap boots, roost guards, neck braces, all that lol. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I've went to this site for info since I got my EX. Thanks guys!

tEXas400
04-08-2015, 10:30 PM
You don't want to do any engine mods?

HORSE45
04-10-2015, 07:40 PM
haha. Nah. I'm 15 and I work on the family farm so I'm gonna try to keep my build now really low cost. Just the necessities lol

400man
04-13-2015, 08:54 AM
depending on where you race, the only thing required on your bike is a tether kill switch. your ride gear is all your preference. helmet, goggles and gloves are the main things, you could race in jeans, long sleeve shirt or jersey and work boots if you wanted.

you can get by easily with a stock motor if your just starting off in the beginner class. look into upgrading your suspension. LOTS of options to go with depending on your budget. getting some 450r front shocks and sending them to a shock builder for a "race conversion" is probably the best bang for the buck. a gt thunder linkage will help out the rear end, and you can have the rear shock rebuilt for you if you want.

get some good hand guards that wrap around the ends of the handle bars to protect your hands. you have tires and skid plates covered so you should be pretty good starting out.

MtnEX
04-13-2015, 08:37 PM
1- Suspension mods
2- Steering stabilizer

Good cheap boots... hummm... Oneal Element or Fox Comp 5. These are not $500 and not stupid stiff out of the box. Don't need major foot protection on an ATV if you have sense and run nerfs and heel guards. You're not using them as you would on a dirt bike.

Gear... find what is comfortable to you. I quit giving a crap about all of my stuff being the same brand and I am now really happy with what I wear. I will sometimes not have any two pieces of my gear and personal protection on that is the same brand. I have Fox, Oneal and Bilt pants. Fox, Thor, MSR, Oneal and Shift jerseys. AFX and Fly helmets. Fox, Scott and Steel MX goggles. Fox and Leatt chest protectors. Fox and Walmart/Ozark Trail hydro packs. Fox and One gloves.

I just throw on what ever I think is going to work best for me in the conditions I am about to race and I'm pretty happy now.

HORSE45
04-14-2015, 08:29 PM
thanks alot guys. What are some good nerf bars? I want ones with heel guards built in. Also would I be okay to run the stock front shocks for awhile?

MtnEX
04-15-2015, 07:20 PM
You can just basically pick the style nerf bar you like for these. I don't have the kind I like best on mine. They don't have a real heel guard. But they have the rear tube where you can't slip your foot down in there. I don't change them because they work and have the classic look that goes with the rest of my quad right now, so...

Front shocks... and rear link... those are both probably going to hurt. Go run a race on them and come back and tell me what you think... lol. I think you will call the fronts pogo sticks and the rear a bucking bronco once you get moving and roll hard for a couple of hours.

This is why I would not go nuts with my money on a lot of other stuff off the bat. You can smoke a stock 450 in a 2 hour race with a stock 400EX with decent suspension that lets you go fast and not get beat to death.

HORSE45
04-15-2015, 09:27 PM
ok. Thanks man. I finally got the official green-light from my mom lol. I havent ordered my tires yet. I think I'll start there then go to the front shocks or nerfs. Where can I get the GT rear linkage now?

400man
04-16-2015, 12:06 PM
ok. Thanks man. I finally got the official green-light from my mom lol. I havent ordered my tires yet. I think I'll start there then go to the front shocks or nerfs. Where can I get the GT rear linkage now?

ebay is probably the cheapest place. some sellers have them for around $130 and some sell for $175. and for the tires, the best deal i have found is on www.atvtirestore.com , you can get the gbc xc master 21 inch front tire for 54$, and its free shipping for 100$ orders.

HORSE45
04-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Those are the tires I was wanting. I found a full set for $260. Would 21 inch fronts be good for xc? It has 22's now.

DragonGunner
04-17-2015, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't run 14 tooth up front unless its a slow tight course, you will be shifting too much and loose too much top end on the stretches and never be able to pass the guy in front of you. I would start out 15/38 stock, but ya if its super slow technical XC course then the 14 is a good choice. Suspension beats HP, and CCP steering stabilizer is a MUST HAVE. I also prefer a 1.25" longer swing arm and re valved rear shock, I ran my old 99' EX last weekend with no stabilizer and stock swing arm and shock and well……it just sucked !!!! Reminded me of the old days when I started out, good practice quad to build your wrist and arm muscles though. Make sure you get the goggles that you pull the string and new film comes across, love them. Also I would loose the swing arm skid, early days it just got me stuck too many times, I put a gold chain D.I.D. x ring chain on and no rear skid forever now, worse thing is got the brake rotor bent a little once in awhile, but I just bend it back in a press and good to go. Starting out don't worry about getting the holeshot and the lead, just go at your pace and let the front runners kill themselves wrecking up front then you can go around…lol…seen that so many times. Its a long race, endurance wins over holeshot unless that guy has the endurance, which isn't always the case…when you get better and stronger you get in there and fight for the lead…patience…..and NO matter how far back you get, or if you feel like your all washed out….don't ever quit, never give up, just keep going….you might be surprised on the last lap you may catch a bunch of guys and pass them and come in at a pretty good spot…..been there done that…..good luck.

HORSE45
04-17-2015, 10:16 AM
I want to try a 14t to see if I like it. I may not race it though, depends on the course. I'm seeing alot of Streamline stabilizers, are they good for xc?

400man
04-17-2015, 12:43 PM
yea any kind of steering stabilizer is better than nothing. just depends on how much $ you wanna spend. Im still running a old used stick style stabilizer and it works good. Usually you can find a good used one for a decent price. if you run a 14t, usually you can leave it in 2nd gear in the majority of the tighter woods sections of the race. not too low and not too high of a gear, and just work the clutch.

HORSE45
04-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Okay, thanks alot. Do you have any advice on tire size? I have 22" fronts now. Should I keep that size or go to a 21" or does it really make a big difference?

DragonGunner
04-17-2015, 06:15 PM
The majority run 21" front and 20" rear.

HORSE45
04-17-2015, 08:04 PM
ok. I was wandering what to expect in most hare scrambles series? I've seen some people talk about MX sections, is this common?

DragonGunner
04-18-2015, 06:34 AM
ok. I was wandering what to expect in most hare scrambles series? I've seen some people talk about MX sections, is this common?

Yes it can be. Then again depending on the location around you there may not be any at all. But there is more popping up in the GNCC, they have started one in my area at the "Ironman" GNCC. If your not practiced up on the jumps, then be careful, they can end your day fast.

HORSE45
04-18-2015, 07:25 AM
I got on youtube and looked up the series. Its mostly just tight woods and some short field sections. I think a 14t up front would be better since its so tight.

HORSE45
04-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I picked up a 14t this morning...WOW!!! It didnt make a HUGE difference, but it made the gearing PERFECT! I can tell I lost some top end, but at the course I'm looking to race first I'm not worried.

HORSE45
07-27-2015, 01:17 PM
I did a Fast traxx GP last weekend I love it!!!! I have GBC XC Master tires. XFR pro peg nerfs and some other fun stuff lol. I think I'm gonna switch from a swingarm skid to a sprocket and rotor guards for clearance. Any suggestions?