PDA

View Full Version : 400ex clutch hard to pull

jbuddenberg
03-23-2015, 06:33 PM
i'm a bit stumped. 2005 Honda 400ex. Clutch is hard to pull. I know this because it's gotten worse and I can compare it to two other 400's I have. Tried the following:

1) Replaced clutch cable (easy logical step) - no help
2) Rebuilt clutch with Tusk kit - new plates, springs. Also got replacement arm that connects to clutch cable (in case it was boogered up) - no help
3) Replaced clutch handle assembly from another 400ex I have that was easy to pull. - A little better.

The only thing left I can think of is maybe the clutch plate is catching on the clutch on the way out. I checked for grooves and really looked OK. Can't think what else could be the problem.

Jimmy

BlasterEaten250
03-25-2015, 04:46 PM
You already addressed the main things I can think of, Are you sure your cable is routed correctly with no major bends?

jbuddenberg
03-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Yeah. No major bends. I called Tusk and they said the springs were 10% more stiff than the stock springs. I did realize I didn't put the last clutch plate in the "other" grooves of the clutch. When the clutch face pulls out it might have been pulling all or some of the clutch plates out (they were kinda sticking together). If that makes sense. I fixed that.

It's not terrible now and maybe I'm comparing it to my other 400EX's that are broken in much more. I'm going to run it for a while and see.