PDA

View Full Version : sand problem?

bigsho400
03-24-2003, 07:42 AM
I was ridin yesterday and my air filter came off. i rode for probably an hour before i checked it. i was riding in a sand quarry does anyone think it did alot of damage:confused: it still runs fine

EXDUNER127
03-24-2003, 07:50 AM
Check in your carb to see if there is any sand, even just around rim where filter connects to carb, if not you should be ok it happened to me once and nothing has happened...

JD400exrider
03-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Check the compression ;) That should tell you if anything happened inside cylinder. Before I bought my ex I was looking at a raptor to buy. Same thing happened. Compression turned out very low. Did not buy it.

Big - D Racing
03-24-2003, 10:07 PM
You probably put a lot of scrathes in your sleeve, I would be worried. Inspect your cylinder.

RoadkillerRyan
03-24-2003, 11:31 PM
do you got the screw that connects the air filter on? cause when that happened to me my little screw went in the engine

Crawl69
03-25-2003, 10:09 AM
first thing i would do is ditch the k&n filter, it trashed my buddies motor. here's a link about k&n filters

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/~hoser/web/K%26N.htm

lilpoppy
03-25-2003, 12:03 PM
All this K&N bashing is B.S. I have had one for over a year now and absolutly no problems in fact im gonna be tearing my motor apart pretty soon and I will take pictures to prove that it doesn't cause any problems. There is only one problem with K&N filters and that is lazy *** owners. They require a little extra cleaning and oiling than foam filters but theat is just the price you have to pay for a little extra power. By the way I do most of my riding in sand and extremely dusty trails and no problems at all.

toby400ex
03-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Word, i like my k&n, ive had it on all three of my quads and never had a prob

lilpoppy
04-20-2003, 05:01 PM
As promised here are those pics of my cylinder after a year of use with nothing but a K&N filter and riding in some of the most dusty conditions you could imagine and sand. Not a scratch on it.

lilpoppy
04-20-2003, 05:03 PM
1 more.

300exazzkikr
04-21-2003, 07:13 AM
I have an outerwear on my K&N just incase. But otherwise i've never had a problem with and they work well.:macho

wilkin250r
04-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Big particles like sand have three dangers if they get past your filter. First, they can get into your carb, clogging a fuel passage. This can make your bike run lean, and possibly result in engine damage. This isn't very likely, since the sand probably just flew right through the carb.

The second danger is damage to the valve seats. If the valve tries to close ON a piece of sand, it could hold the valve open, causing blow-by and lack of power, or it could damage the valve seats. This can happen to both intake and exaust valves. Both will cause a loss of compression.

Third problem is damage to the cylinder wall. If the dirt does make it's way into the cylinder (and it is very likely it did) then it could get trapped between the piston and cylinder wall, and scratch the cylinder. These scratches and grooves will give a passage for gases past the cylinder rings, resulting in compression and power loss.

So, the long and the short of it, it's not likely to cause problems in your carb, and a simple cleaning can remove that danger. The other problems will show up in a compression test. If your compression is good, and you clean your carb, I think you'd have all your bases covered.

04-21-2003, 09:29 AM
K&N sucks in my opinion, i had one on for a year and i juse didnt trust it once i rode through a puddle and water got in my engine....started sputtering.....and dont go and tell me i didnt oil ti properly...i clean it till it comes looking brand new...then oil every little area till the whole thing is red and i sued an outerwear...i now use a uni....and a K&N doesnt provide any more power over foam filter....i ran a 200 main jet with the K&N...i run a 200 main jet with the UNI......plug is still burning brown so yea.....my filter is for sale if anyone wants to buy it....35 plus shipping comes with filter, outerwear, bottle of K&N oil that is half empty, and a polished hose clamp

airheadedduner
04-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
K&N sucks in my opinion, i had one on for a year and i juse didnt trust it once i rode through a puddle and water got in my engine....started sputtering.....and dont go and tell me i didnt oil ti properly...i clean it till it comes looking brand new...then oil every little area till the whole thing is red and i sued an outerwear...i now use a uni....and a K&N doesnt provide any more power over foam filter....i ran a 200 main jet with the K&N...i run a 200 main jet with the UNI......plug is still burning brown so yea.....my filter is for sale if anyone wants to buy it....35 plus shipping comes with filter, outerwear, bottle of K&N oil that is half empty, and a polished hose clamp

Water probly would have got into your engine with a foamie too:o I have a swiss cheesed airbox on my R and I skip ponds all the time and very rarely get water through the filter. I have never had a problem with K&Ns. There are about 45 people in my riding group, about 40 run K&Ns and no problems. A lot of people blame the K&N but what it is more then half the time is they don't use barrium grease or something on the flange. I can assure you that you can walk into my garage, pull a K&N off of any bike in there, and the intake tract will be perfectly clean. Don't tell me a K&N don't flow more then a foamie, that is plain ignorence. The only situation that I would not recomend a K&N is desert. Everywhere else they are fine.

lil400exman
04-21-2003, 10:35 AM
from these opinions make ur descion on this i have run both and theyre just too differnt to say better or worse........................i keep both in my toobbox ready to go for whatever i ride in with a outerwear so do what i did man and be happy with it...................:devil

Dune Surfer
04-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Everyone I ride the dunes with at Glamis uses a K&N. No probs

lilpoppy
04-21-2003, 01:33 PM
All I ride is dusty areas and Pismo beach and no problems. As far as the water getting in your engine what does that have to do with your filter? When you wash your Uni filter the water doesn't soak through? If you are running with your air box lid off then you need to be more carefull. That has nothing to do with your air filter it is just common sense.

Chef
04-21-2003, 01:40 PM
I use K&N's on two race bikes, and my Banshee, and there have been ZERO problems. My 400 could probably suck start a leaf blower, and it doesn't even have an outerwear. Clay dust is really fine, and there hasnt been any in my air boot. I think you are all a bunch of whiners who dont take good enough care of your K&N's.:o

04-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Chef
I use K&N's on two race bikes, and my Banshee, and there have been ZERO problems. My 400 could probably suck start a leaf blower, and it doesn't even have an outerwear. Clay dust is really fine, and there hasnt been any in my air boot. I think you are all a bunch of whiners who dont take good enough care of your K&N's.:o

wanna buy a K&N for your r that your building?

Chef
04-21-2003, 03:59 PM
What good would a K&N from a 400 do me? It wont fit on the carb, and it wont fit on the airbox eliminator...

lil400exman
04-22-2003, 02:32 AM
chef in ur post above i agree with you 100% people like us dont have a life out of our quads so we are anal about maintaining them...................at least i am:blah :devil :eek:

04-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Chef
What good would a K&N from a 400 do me? It wont fit on the carb, and it wont fit on the airbox eliminator...

ok, i wasnt sure if the air boot was the same on an R...never realy loked at them too closely

and lil400exman...i lvoe my quad more than anything...i take care of it as good as i possibly can..i clean my air filter after like 2-3 rides..it depends what i rode in...but to me my quad is everything to me...like when someone messes with my cluth lever so its out of adjustment..i get all pissed off about the littlest things cuz i dont like people touching my stuff