PDA

View Full Version : ATC 200 won't run consistantly

Mike diesel
03-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Let's see what help i can get over here.

83 atc200 motor transplanted into a custom homemade motorcycle....built it about 9 years ago and used to ride it around the hood all the time. Last time it got ridden daily was roughly 4 or 5 years ago. Parked it in my dads shed running perfect like it always has. Sat in my dad's shed for 2 years. Fired it up summer of 2012 and it wouldn't idle wortha crap and also sputter really bad anything above roughly 4000rpm then falls on its face. left it in the shed for another 2 years untill this last novemeber.

Moved it to my new house...still running bad. Low compression ...no big deal. Order a new top end....piston, rings, head gasket and gave it a valve job. It has awesome compression now, still no change in performance. Might I add I've cleaned the carb 10+ times in the mean time...no change. still running the same carb/jetting it has always ran ever since the day i got the motor. Never had a problem with it, always ran perfect.

So i went through and replaced the spark coil, and cdi box thinking spark related....still no change in performance. So I say screw it and park it. Sits for 4 months until the other week, fire it up and it's running perfect...revs to the moon and runs like a champ! Ride it for 10 minutes and just like that, back to running terrible. So I park it...fire it up this last Friday and what do you know, running perfect again...for 5 minutes then goes to crap. Full throttle and part throttle cruising it just sputters and bucks the entire time. Never backfires though. Ordered a new carb on Friday just to see...will be here tomorrow. Only things I haven't replaced are the generator coil and cdi pickup/rotor.

Anyone have any advice?

Everyone just says "oh your carb is dirty...". I've cleaned it time and time again with no change in operation.