PDA

View Full Version : '03 400ex

Honda4LifeWes36
03-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Got a 2003 400ex and replaced the bearing carrier around 3 months ago. Noticed the chain was getting loose so I was headed to tighten it up and I can't get the carrier to turn. I don't understand what the deal could be but can't get the chain to loosen or tighten. I have the four bolts out of the swing arm, don't know what else I could have missed. I thought it was just take those bolts out and then turn the carrier back toward the back....

DragonGunner
03-15-2015, 07:45 AM
You should just have to loosen bolts, if sand and grit gets in swing arm it can be hard to turn. You can't get it to move at all either way? I usually put a big screw driver in the slot carrier and through the rear sprocket and back up tire or forward to turn the carrier. If you chain is so stretched it may be the carrier can't turn farther enough to tighten, time for a new chain. Also make sure you put the brake caliper components on right to the swing arm, if you don't it won't allow any play to turn the carrier, which I think you may have done, I have done it and had to take the assembly off and put on right.