PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new ATV...

Z32TwinTurbo
02-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Hey guys... So I plan on purchasing a new ATV this week, finally. I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to an Outlander 650 or Brute 650. I like both bikes, however the Can-Am would be a sure thing if it wasn't for the cost.
Right now I'm looking at 7900+tax for a brand new Brute 650. I've also found a used 2011 650 Outlander XT for 8299 from a dealer. Mind you, the Outty comes with a winch, windshield and power steering and looks to be in pretty immaculate shape all around.... Im just not sure if I can justify spending that much on something second hand When I could have a new Brute for around the same price.
Would like to hear your guys thoughts.

Stickman400
02-27-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm a Honda guy through and through, but I've recently decided to drop the coin a brand new Can-Am Outlander XT-P with a bunch of goodies from the dealer and I never thought I would since I'm a Honda guy. But Hondas power just even hold a candle to that Rotax and it doesn't seem they ever will, so I figured now is better than later. My buddy I ride with has an older Brute Force and he beats the hell out of it and it's still running strong. Like I said, not sure on the reliability on either as of yet, but have browsed other forums and nobody seems to have much trouble with them other than small little stuff that is mostly the owners fault/poor maintenance. In your situation I would probably go with the Brute Force just for the warranty and peace of mind unless the extras the Can-Am comes with really appeals to you. I don't think you'll have many, if any, troubles with either so it's really up to you if you want to pay a little extra for the peace of mind with a couple less extras or pay a little less and the extras.

CJM
02-27-2015, 08:08 PM
All I can say about a can am is the DS450. Friend has one, what a hunk of junk. So far its been bak to the dealer countless times for issues. Latest is the valve cover is leaking, the thing has 20hrs...20 damn hours.

blacknblue#2
02-28-2015, 10:55 AM
All I can say about a can am is the DS450. Friend has one, what a hunk of junk. So far its been bak to the dealer countless times for issues. Latest is the valve cover is leaking, the thing has 20hrs...20 damn hours.

I've heard horror stories on the ds but they are the only ones. I know first hand that the can am renegade is tough. I've beat on one for the last couple years and haven't broke near the chit I ever broke on a 450r.

Stickman400
03-02-2015, 01:00 PM
I've been on the Can-Am forums for awhile now (Can-Am talk and Can-Am forum) and other than the occasional catastrophic failure that 1 or 2 guys have had with the transmission or top end of the engine there has been nothing major. As long as you keep up on the maintenance for them then you can avoid all that.

CJM
03-02-2015, 04:29 PM
I've heard horror stories on the ds but they are the only ones. I know first hand that the can am renegade is tough. I've beat on one for the last couple years and haven't broke near the chit I ever broke on a 450r.

True, I havent heard much else about the rest of the line up. But for a 10g quad that broke down already with only 20 hours its sad the DS is such a hunk of crap.

quad2xtreme
03-05-2015, 08:28 AM
True, I havent heard much else about the rest of the line up. But for a 10g quad that broke down already with only 20 hours its sad the DS is such a hunk of crap.

My experience is only from observing them at South Fork. Seems like they have a huge amount of electrical issues. I give the nod to them breaking down the most followed by Suzuki. Seems like the Hondas and the Yamahas are the most reliable.

Without a doubt, there is no such thing as a reliable mini-quad! Nothing but respect to the fathers who wrench on these so their kids can race and progress to a 450 one day. I often wonder if poor reliability isn't the main culprit for people getting into and out of MX so quickly. I see it over and over.

Pacheco_450r
03-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Looking at the racing scene I think can-am wouldnt have had near the success it has without their major factory support they have given. You figure when things were really slow as far as factory support of course guys are going to jump on the opportunity no matter what the brand of bike. Now you look at the non factory riders, pro-am and upper amateur level privateers and what do you see, lots of Hondas. When you are putting all of your own money into it you want something reliable, easy to work on and so on. Things change when you dont have a whole tent full of mechanics and spare bikes when things go wrong. This is just my two cents...