PDA

View Full Version : What to Buy??

GoodTimesNY
02-02-2015, 05:52 PM
I am looking to buy two ATVs for my boys. One is 10 and one will be 14 soon (too soon!) We went looking at new ones but considering cost and stock units, we may just go used. Considering Yamaha Blaster 250 used vs New Honda 250 and new Arctic Cat 300 (he loves the look of this one but I have my concerns with quality). We are looking to run down the streets of NY in the snow then race track type riding come Spring/Summer. Really I just need solid reliable machines. We bought them Chinese quads last Christmas and time to move on to the real deal. They have proven they love going "quadding." Any recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Joe Gasperlin
02-03-2015, 08:01 AM
Personally I would not get any thing newer than an early 2000's Honda, and if you are looking to get them atvs for them to keep forever I would get them each Honda fourtrax 300's, because they are literally bulletproof and if your kids don't know how to shift it has a strong transmission for learning, and the fourtrax's are pretty much maintenance free. My fourtrax 300 has an odometer we put on when bought new, and it has 49,237 miles on it!!

honda400ex2003
02-03-2015, 08:03 AM
if it is a blaster, it will be a 200cc 2 stroke, oil injected, not made in the us any more but parts are available easily with plenty of go fast stuff.

if you are going to race them, you might as well see what classes you can race and shoot for something that will fit in the youth groups. a 300cc may be too much for the youth category racers on a particular track. now you could find a 300ex/x, 300 dvx, or a 250x of older style and have some fun on those, parts are around easily and can be set up for any size. they will be in a different league as far as speed, agility, and you'll really have a machine that anyone can ride in the future. strictly a clutch and might be a bit too much for a 10 yr old to be ripping around on depending on experience level and size. the blaster will be closer in performance to a 300 cc machine than a 250cc machine will. a blaster had race roots and sort of lead that way through the 90's and early 00's until yami quit making them when emissions took over. all have clutches only (not sure on the dvx) and will be a sport machine setup. the older 250x and blaster are kick start while the 300ex/x will be electric start. the 250x and 300ex/x are the same frame, both have reverse, the 300 is a bored out version with electric start and new fenders. otherwise it is the same engine and chassis.

all of the 250s are nice, basically the same thing. the newer 07+ 250x will have the new style clutch setup on them where you can shift it with the lever or just let off the gas. it is a great feature for getting the little guys comfortable on a clutch machine. a 250ex will not have that clutch and have to let off the gas for each shift. z250 is another good option, similar to the older 250ex with just a let off the gas and shift style clutch in it. a blaster is going to be a kick start with a clutch only, all of the 250s have electric start on them.

the 250s of new are shaft drive, hard to modify for racing to make them faster or slower (tires will be easiest, then transmission gear changes), not a whole lot of go fast parts for them either. a blaster will have plenty of pistons available, pipes, and other after market support comparatively to a newer 250. if racing is of the utmost importance to them, a blaster is where you will be. if they want to go have fun on a great machine that is trouble free, a 250ex/x would be where it is. they are bullet proof and will have many many years of good riding on it.

just my thoughts,
steve

GoodTimesNY
02-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. It seems like there are a ton of 2001-2004 Blasters for sale in my area. All around $1100-$1800. I am really looking to get the most bang for our buck and a machine that is pretty much bullet proof. I have not seen many Hondas near me for sale but will keep looking. Are there any other brands/models you would suggest if going used. My focus is my older son who is turning 14 soon. He really wants to race where my younger boy is just a follower at this point so we may just keep his cheap 125cc for him for now. Thanks again guys!

Stickman400
02-04-2015, 01:22 AM
I grew up on a 2001 250ex and I'm glad I had it. Wouldn't have wanted anything else other than a 400, but I didn't want one of those until I had gotten used to the 250, had a ATC90 before that, so that was a huge jump for me. Think I got the 400 when I was 15 or so, 7th or 8th grade. Learned how to use a clutch pretty quick, but that's just because I had some practice on my dads old Yamaha 175 2 stroke dirtbike and a couple of my buddies warriors. I don't think I EVER checked the valves in that thing when I had it for 3 or 4 years and it ran like a top even when I traded it in. Only thing I had problems with is the clutch and tranny, went threw 3 of each, but that's just because I liked to hold it between gears to pop wheelies, and I did that A LOT. So that was all me. Also don't think I ever changed the rear gear oil and only changed the engine oil a handful of times, maybe 1 or 2 times a year, lol. Thing was a tank.

honda400ex2003
02-04-2015, 08:58 AM
I grew up on a 2001 250ex and I'm glad I had it. Wouldn't have wanted anything else other than a 400, but I didn't want one of those until I had gotten used to the 250, had a ATC90 before that, so that was a huge jump for me. Think I got the 400 when I was 15 or so, 7th or 8th grade. Learned how to use a clutch pretty quick, but that's just because I had some practice on my dads old Yamaha 175 2 stroke dirtbike and a couple of my buddies warriors.

Same here, started on a moto-4 80cc, then a 250ex, then my 400. loved that 250ex though, it went through anything it seemed like.

steve

fastredrider44
02-04-2015, 10:13 AM
A 300EX or Raptor 250 would be a good fit for your 14 year old, and is reliable enough to be passed down when he is ready for something different. For the 10 year old, maybe a Raptor 125 or Honda 90. Blasters are a ton of fun, but a little dated, and being a two stroke, will require a little more wrenching to keep them running in good condition. The 250EX/250X (depending on year) are great bikes and super tough, but I'm afraid a 14 year old will be ready for something different pretty quick.

GoodTimesNY
02-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys. Seems like Blasters are a dime a dozen and the "cheap" ATV to buy. Found some ex quads but a little more pricey but still around the $1500,mark. Found this today: 2004 TRX450R for around $1800. How's this ATV?

fastredrider44
02-04-2015, 06:56 PM
450Rs are fantastic fourwheelers, but not what you're looking for. They require a lot more maintenance than any of the others brought up, and will be a pretty steep learning curve from a Chinese fourwheeler. They are a much more "racey" machine, kick start only, no reverse, and much faster than any of the others mentioned. But by all means buy it so you can have something to ride with your boys. 300ex's can be bought cheap if you're patient, but steer clear of any that have obvious abuse, you can find cherries out there.

CJM
02-04-2015, 09:20 PM
A 450 is not a beginner bike, its more for an advanced rider for sure. More maintenance, can be temperamental, clutch only. Some are kickstart, some are electric start and VERY fast for a stock machine.

300ex/400ex are what I would buy for kids. 300ex is plenty for a kid-but they may outgrow it rather quick. 400ex is quite a bit faster, 14 yo shouldnt have an issue but the 10yo likely will find it to big for them (16 is the legal age they are supposed to use such machine).

Id look for a good 300ex or even a 250ex. Blaster is ok but the 2 stroke thing gets old fast (mixing gas for them DONT trust the oil injection!) and they can be temperamental if the mix is off.

GoodTimesNY
02-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Ive pretty much decided to stick with our current 125 for my 10 yo. He still really loves riding it and its so easy to start and ride. I'm definitely looking for my 14y0 and me as well. I am starting to see the trx and ex machines pop up as well as others like Kawasaki and Sazuki with electric start, reverse and auto trans. All not necessary but for sure a great option for my 14yo to ease into the bigger bike scene as you all keep suggesting. I really appreciate all the feedback guys!!
FYI - I researched the local tracks on Long Island and it seems none have restrictions in size or 2 v 4 cycle engines. When it comes time to actually compete I am sure that will be a different story and I am looking into that. ��

jerkyboy
02-06-2015, 06:37 AM
The Honda 250x or 300ex are much better machines than the blaster. But The blaster being a 2 stroke is much cheaper and easier to do a top end on. There are tons of stock and aftermarket parts for both. My choice would be the Honda.

Joe Gasperlin
02-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Yeah I'd go with the Honda to, just because I'm a Honda guy, but it's your money so buy what you think is best

GoodTimesNY
02-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I am going to take my time and search for a Honda. I can't afford to buy an ATV and not have my son love and enjoy it. If there are problems with it I will get upset which will upset him and kill the whole ATV family thing. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

CJM
02-07-2015, 10:11 PM
People always say X quad is good, no issues, etc. But lets be honest here-whats the number one atv period b/c people have 30 year old quads and bikes thats till run-honda.

Find a good used clean honda and be happy. I tow out the rest of them like clockwork when they break down in the woods.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-08-2015, 09:07 AM
CJM is right big red = old reliable
400ex starts every time
change the oil twice a season and that's it.

GoodTimesNY
02-08-2015, 04:59 PM
What would you spend? 2006 TRX250ex excellent condition. Tires and about 85% and new battery. Plastics are shiny and no cracks. 2nd owner, with title.

CJM
02-08-2015, 06:19 PM
No more than 2 grand at best. Those 250s are worth quite a bit for the kids. Other option is a 400ex, but it might be a bit to powerful for the kids at this stage. 300ex is also an option.

GoodTimesNY
02-08-2015, 06:38 PM
No more than 2 grand at best. Those 250s are worth quite a bit for the kids. Other option is a 400ex, but it might be a bit to powerful for the kids at this stage. 300ex is also an option.

Thanks. The owner is asking $2500 but said he is negotiable. I also found a 2004 250 at $1500

CJM
02-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Depending on condition, Id buy the 2004.

GoodTimesNY
02-09-2015, 06:45 AM
What would you spend? 2006 TRX250ex excellent condition. Tires and about 85% and new battery. Plastics are shiny and no cracks. 2nd owner, with title.

We are going to look at the 2004 tonight. He has owned it for 8 years and says its in excellent condition. he is also selling a 2004 raptor 660 in excellent condition. That big boy would be for me and for the package deal he says I can have for $3500. The only issue is the Raptor does not come with the title, the Honda does.

honda400ex2003
02-09-2015, 11:15 AM

depending on what he wants in it mainly.

if he wants the manual clutch style atv, it wont be this one. this is a foot shift, let off the gas only model.

op needs to sit down and figure out exactly what he wants in the atv first- it looks like the 14 year old is the one getting the machine. if he wants something with an opportunity to learn a clutch in the future before going to a bigger cc machine like a 400ex, the 04 just isnt it.

will be a great machine if that is what he is looking for though.

steve

Joe Gasperlin
02-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Even if it's not what your looking for I'd take it and if you don't want the raptor sell it for more and buy what you want

GoodTimesNY
02-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Even if it's not what your looking for I'd take it and if you don't want the raptor sell it for more and buy what you want

The seller said he sold the Raptor today. Going out in a little to look at the 2004. My main purchase is for my son. His only experience is on a fully automatic 125cc Chinese quad. Tiny, not super fast and just a throw around type of ride. I think the idea of a foot clutch only is good to start with. I don't think at $1500 I can go wrong but then again I've never purchased a full size ATV before. :eek2:

GoodTimesNY
02-09-2015, 05:38 PM
So we purchased it! It's very clean and bone stock. Tires are really good and she started right up cold. I felt the engine and it was freezing cold to the touch before starting it. She started no hesitation. Checked the oil and it was really dark with a tiny burnt smell. Not that surprising since the PO said it hasn't been changed since his cousin rode it about a year ago. My son rode it and it fit him great. I think it will be a very easy bike for him to ride and gain experience on before moving up to a full clutch race style bike. :blah:

GoodTimesNY
02-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Now here is the magic question: Should I leave it stock and use it as a learning ATV for him or upgrade it and use it as a starter competition ATV?

2004 Honda 250ex - stock

Joe Gasperlin
02-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Before you even consider upgrading you should learn the limits of your wheeler and make sure everything works the same for about a month so you don't buy the upgrades and find out something is wrong with the wheeler

Stickman400
02-12-2015, 12:36 PM
I bought mine with a Big Gun full system, Moose filter with a jet kit, then tires and rims, skids and some other cosmetic stuff. It had enough power to be fun but not so much that it was scary when I first started riding it. And the pipe and filter really helped with the power down low and throttle response. I'd say a slip-on, filter and jet kit is more than enough for add-ons along with whatever tire and wheel combo you want. Maybe not immediately, but later on down the road after he gets used to it.

blacknblue#2
02-12-2015, 02:45 PM
If you think your son will progress quickly don't spend much on the 250ex, with them being shaft drive their very limited. Give him a year and if he wants more sell the 250 and put him on a 400ex

GoodTimesNY
02-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Great feedback thanks guys! So far he has only ridding it in the driveway and on our side street but so far so good - he loves it!! I think I will buy him some decals and try and find some used or inexpensive nerf bars and maybe a front bumper just to dress it up a little for him. Let him get used to it then maybe come spring do some of the recommended upgrades. I agree he may outgrow this bike rather quickly so I don't want to invest too much money that I may not see a return for in say 6-10 months. I definitely have the bug and am now looking to buy one for myself. Looking at something a little bigger like maybe the TRX450. I just want something similar to his in that it doesn't need much maintenance. Maybe something I can enjoy then when he is ready to move up swap rides or sell his and grab the next level up for me. Who knows but I am lovin' this!!

CJM
02-12-2015, 07:31 PM
If you dont mind some maintenance and riding fast the 450 is for you. There is no way however a 250x will keep up, you will leave your son in the dust. 400ex would be your best bet, they dont mind being ridden slow. They dont need much maintenance and for a few bucks you can unlock some good power.

A 450 doesnt like going slow, the motor almost wants to quit.

GoodTimesNY
02-12-2015, 07:45 PM
400 will be the target then. ☺. Is there much difference between the 350 and 400?

CJM
02-12-2015, 07:49 PM
400 will be the target then. ☺. Is there much difference between the 350 and 400?

A 350? A 300ex has 100cc less and its a much smaller machine, a grown adult imho if they are over 5ft 6" might feel cramped. A 350 would be a 3 wheeler...

I honestly like the 400ex for its simplicity and barely any maintenance besides changing the oil and adjusting the valves (very easy anyways). They will run forever.

GoodTimesNY
02-13-2015, 04:55 AM
I am new to this game and have lots to learn (350 v 300). Thanks again. I will research the 400.

fastredrider44
02-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Sounds like you need a 400EX, but know that in a short while your son will be wanting to borrow it out from under you. 400EXs are all roughly the same, with the fenders changing in 05 and again in 08, and they added reverse in 05. Other than that, you can find older ones pretty cheap, but again, know that these are tough fourwheelers, and that means there are a lot of them out there that have been neglected. There are 350cc quads, such as warriors and raptor 350s, but the 400ex is an awesome fourwheeler for someone not competitively racing every weekend. I'm not a big fan of the 250EXs, but at least you can pretty well count on it to still be in good condition when you pass it down to your youngest son. They are super reliable.