PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been on here in a while

vinnie
01-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Well, I'm thinking of updating my 400ex. I haven't had it out in a few years. I need a battery, and since I'm doing that, I'll get a new air box and move it there. I like the CFM boxes and oil tank. What are your experiences here? what battery am I limited to?
As far as suspension goes, I need help. Is long travel worth the money for rec riding? I want +1 arms. Otherwise I found a set of new 450r shocks for $300.
The engine is my next winter project. I want to run on pump Gas and am limited to 11:1 compression. What kit is good these days? I'm running a white bros e-series slip on. I'll also put a new ignition box on.
Lastly, I want to add nerfs.
This is all in the name of fun. Thanks in advance.

400man
01-25-2015, 09:37 PM
for trail riding, I don't see the need for long travel unless you just want it and money isn't an issue. the 450r shocks will work better than stock, but will be kinda stiff unless you weigh 200+lbs. the best thing to do with them is to send them to a shock builder and setup for you and your bike. Or, look into something like this http://www.****techatv.com/GT%20Suspension/home.htm

on the motor, a popular setup is a 04-05 450r carb, stage 2 hotcam, and 11:1 piston (wiseco, JE, CP pistons are the top choices.)

and for nerfs, it all depends on how much money you want to spend. the tusk/alba pro peg nerfs with heel guards are pretty good for the price.

Stickman400
01-31-2015, 12:43 AM
x2 ^ I have Jet Suspension 450R re-valve triple rates on +1 Houser arms and it's smooth as silk over the rough stuff. That link above if for M a u l Tech ATV btw, forum thinks it's a obscene word for some reason. Also don't get any rev boxes unless you can find a White Brothers, they don't help the 400s any in the power department because of where they make their power, and they hurt you when it comes to starting, something to do with the extra spark energy they need before they will allow it to start or something, I forget.