PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the side of the engine??

EX400wes
01-18-2015, 07:23 PM
hello guys i have a 2003 ex 400 and the engine has gone like a brownish color how would i go back to the "original" color? ive tried degreaser but it doesn't come off has anyone used anything that has worked?? thanks.:confused:

MtnEX
01-18-2015, 09:52 PM
First let me say I have never done this to the 400EX...

However, I own a Kawasaki KFX450R and all of it's aluminum is uncoated. Like my 400EX I never had any issues with it here local. Trail ride it, wash it, done. But when I started racing and exposing it to all different types of soil pH and stuff... and sometimes it might sit filthy a week after before I had time to clean it up.... it started getting what I call the "liver spots" in places, and in others it really started to look like baked in nastiness. Dirty looking still even when clean.

The only way to get this out is to Etch the aluminum. I personally use the Eagle One etching mag cleaner. Others us Alumibrite or aluminum boat cleaner. The latter types are stronger and cheaper in the end as they come by the gallon. But I don't use it very much and I'm not sure I want it really strong because it's corrosive to parts that are not aluminum, like the bolt heads and stuff.

The Eagle One etching mag cleaner cleans my KFX450R frame and engine right up, usually spray on hose off easy. But I don't really have much but the bolt heads to concern myself with on it. The 400EX has a painted frame and all that to watch out for.

I'd try Xtream Clean MX wash first and if that don't do it then talk around to some other 400EX owners and see if any have ever etched the engine "in frame".

A little trick I use afterwards is after the cleaning I let it dry. Then before I take it out again I spray all the aluminum down well with WD-40. I crank the quad up and let it idle and bake the stuff in. It doesn't have to be etched again for a good while if I keep cleaning with MX wash and spraying down in WD-40 between races.

DragonGunner
01-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Its rust from iron in the water I would say….could always try toilet bowl cleaner in a spot and see how it works. I prefer to take the motor out and do some cleaning and light sanding and steel wool then get some silver engine paint. Makes the motor look real good and lasts for a very long time.

CJM
01-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Motors coated, so anything you use like aluminum wheel cleaner will etch the metal and eat the coating off.

Try some purple power or super clean, less harsh than wheel cleaner. If you do use wheel cleaner, spray on then rinse off within 15 secs or less or it will etch it alot and be a pain to polish back up.

honda400ex2003
01-20-2015, 08:43 AM
x2 on purple power and super clean. prefer super clean but places dont always have it. i have had good luck with getting iron stains off if you scrub with a brush. ive used bathroom scrub brushes to get it off down by the pipe in some cases. it will take some elbow grease but if you get it off well every time, it wont stain so bad.

steve

MtnEX
01-31-2015, 08:44 PM
I figured the 400 motor might be clear coated or silver coated. Mine always gets ridden locally and cleaned right after unlike my race quad. So I have never had an issue to find all this out.

Stickman400
01-31-2015, 11:55 PM
I also use Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner and haven't had any issues since. I used it when I did the full strip down and rebuild though, so I had the entire engine out of the frame and on the ground with everything taped off and plugged with a power washer right there to blast it off after I got it all sprayed on also. I think the bottle says to only leave it on for 10 or 15 seconds to soak, so I just sprayed it off right after I got the entire thing coated.

CJM
02-01-2015, 08:35 AM
That stuff will etch the metal so leaving it on for more than 10 seconds or so you will have a bad time.

MtnEX
02-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Yes, the etching kind indeed etches... it strips my aluminum clean on my KFX450R in a hurry. It takes some practice to get an even etch where you don't have run marks.

kt1148
02-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I used this stuff called S100 when I had a street bike, it would clean the engine really good without any scrubbing. It's a great cleaner!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/30196/i/s100-total-cycle-cleaner

NacsMXer
02-05-2015, 07:16 PM
I used this stuff called S100 when I had a street bike, it would clean the engine really good without any scrubbing. It's a great cleaner!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/30196/i/s100-total-cycle-cleaner

Yep, S100 Total Cycle Cleaner works excellent for brightening up the engine as well as the whole quad for that matter. Makes everything look a lot more new and fresh.

I discovered S100 after trying Hondabrite at my local dealer. It's the same product just rebranded for Honda.

Notice the S100 logo in the bottom corner
http://content.motosport.com/images/items/large/PHO/PHO000C/X001.jpg