PDA

View Full Version : 6 hour XC race

400man
01-15-2015, 08:13 AM
theres suppose to be a 6 hour xc race in march this year in my local race series, and im trying to decide if I want to try it. Its a single person race, and they say its on rough, rocky track. Suppose to be some prize money too, but not sure how much yet. I know this race would be pretty hard on my bike, im wondering if it would kill it if it ran for 6 hours straight. I usually never pit stop either in a normal 2 hr race, but I know I would have to this time for gas, and maybe even to add a little bit of oil for cheap insurance lol.

Any tips or advice? I know this race would mainly be about how many laps you could do more than how fast you do em, and the harder you push the more likely you are to break down not finish id guess.

DragonGunner
01-15-2015, 04:43 PM
You'll be fine for 6 hours on the 400EX, Not sure how you are going to add oil, when it needs to set for awhile before checking, if it ain't burning oil now you should be ok. Suspension will be everything, and prepare for a lot of blisters on the behind. They ran the 400 for many many years in the Baja, and thats a long race.

CJM
01-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Practice! If possible find somewhere to ride with similar conditions. Then ride, ride, ride every change you get to condition. I would also check over the bike top to bottom, make sure you have thick or poly skidplates and lastly camelbak or similar!!! 6 hours is a long time to be on a quad...

ride red 14
01-16-2015, 02:09 AM
Take an extra air filter. I've also seen people change oil in the middle of a 6 hour race.

MaineiacMoose
01-17-2015, 06:48 AM
I would be interested in running that race can I get a little more information?

400man
01-18-2015, 06:44 PM
I would be interested in running that race can I get a little more information?

heres a link to the series website, but its not been updated completely yet:

http://bluegrassxc.com/

they post most of their info and updates on facebook, just search bluegrass xcmx. heres the series schedule:
Bluegrass Xc series schedule:

Feb 7- Russell Creek Offroad Greensburg,KY
Feb 28- DBMX London, KY
March 21-22 Sharps Atv Range Liberty , KY. 6 hr race for adult classes
April 18- Hoovers , Crawford TN
May 30-31- OMA co-sanction/ Russell Creek Offroad
June 13- Pumpjack Off-road Columbia Ky
This will complete our first series of 2015. The fall/ winter series will begin in Sept and run thru Dec. We will be doing points in both series as well. We will also be using transponder scoring this year.

they don't have much info on the 6hr race yet, but its planned to have some sort of payout, with a slightly higher entry fee. Im thinking about skipping it though, cause its suppose to be a really rough and rocky track, and I don't want to risk destroying my bike cause last year at that track I broke a rod in my motor and destroyed it.

MtnEX
01-18-2015, 07:19 PM
If your bike is solid it will do 6 hours no problem. It's a long time to race though for one person. Lot of wear and tear on the body.

I'm not sure how you "pace" for a 6 hour XC race besides don't really race at all... just turn laps and hours and try to make it the whole 6 hours.

If you're not feeling it, heck skip it, or go turn a lap, or 2 hours for some points vs no points. I once had a rear shock issue not show it's head until I got to the track. I ran anyways. I was getting at least a lap in. I went out and stayed out to do enough to get it done. Walking the next day was a chore. But it was the last race of the season and I needed to out-score the other guy.