PDA

View Full Version : Top speed ?

lon
01-12-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm thinking about regearing our quad to top out around 45mph,what do you think good idea or bad.

LT80
01-13-2015, 07:01 AM
If you're racing MX, good.
If racing EDT, bad. :)

lon
01-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Mostly mx,a couple grand prix's. The motor is a wr250f so I was thinking with the different gear spacing,controling the top speed might help lessen the gap between the gears making it easier to stay in the upper rpms where the power seems to be.

oscarmayer
01-13-2015, 12:18 PM
that's not very fast on am MX track. a lot of higher level pros hit the uppers 50s's to low 60's.

what class are you trying to compete in? That in my mind should really be the driving factor. I would find out what others are doing and decide from there. But I think 45 mph may be good or it could be middle of the pack in your class. I don't know. for me, m son races in the 90-open and we will be doing super-mini as well this yr. Tat 45mph going to be average with top riders hittig in the low 50's on long straigths.

I think you just gotta re-train him to run the gears longer. He may be shifting too early, not hitting the throttle, or worse not down shifting in slower sections making him bog the motor. Personlly, riding style should be address long before mechanical limitations imposed in my opinion. whatever you decide, good luck!

What helped my son with downshifting like he should was the Thomas Brown riding school. We went to an all day training session and that helped him a ton. That would be a better option with very long term dividends that will pay for itself in the future of his riding than anything mechanically you can modify now.

hope this helps and again good luck with your decisions.

nastynotchback1
01-14-2015, 07:19 AM
45mph is gonna be mid pack for a 250 but another thing you need to look at is your running a wide ratio motor.Most every one else run's the 250f so you would need to do some testing to figure out your sprockets.

LT80
01-14-2015, 07:23 AM
I thought it was a mini. :)

lon
01-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Sorry Lt80, I should have said what she's riding. She's been racing youth quad at the local races on a hybrid 250 and it seems like one gear is to low and the next is to high so I thought lowering the top speed might tighten things up a bit and at the same time allow her to stay in a couple gears the whole race. If I can make it so she doesn't use 1st and maybe just use 2nd at the starts,thats less for her to think about. Just tossing some ideas around.

oscarmayer
02-02-2015, 08:19 AM
It sounds like she just needs to learn to hit the throttle. I think she is doing what my son used to do. She is worring about the motor reving sounds. If she came form the trail fun riding then that is sorta stuck in her head, she thinks reving is bad. Talk to her and teach her that reving is important on that bike. My son used to worry about noises he heard from the motor and a couple of times in the race he stopped saying he hears a "noise". I told him, it if is running then drive it. If it blows up, we will fix it, but his job is to ride it till it blows up and I wanted him trying to blow it up cause that means he is pushing it. Since then he has done a lot better and stopped worrying about the reving and just ridding what feels good. That may help ya. Good luck with it.

lon
02-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks Oscarmayer, yah she needs to rev it more it's her first year on a shifter but I feel like the gearing is off. 45 might be alittle extreme I'm going to drop a tooth on the counter sprocket and go from there.

oscarmayer
02-10-2015, 11:08 AM
sounds good sir.
yea teach her holding the revs. she will get it.