PDA

View Full Version : valves wont fit in new valve guides?

400man
01-11-2015, 08:42 AM
I ordered 2 new valve guides to replace the intake side when my valves got bent and messed up the guides last year when my motor blew up. But my valves wont go in the new valve guides? is this normal? somebody told me to measure and see if the top of the valve stem is mushroomed out from wear, but I checked em and they are fine. does the machine shop have to ream out the guides to make the valves fit or anything?

DragonGunner
01-11-2015, 12:16 PM
I ordered 2 new valve guides to replace the intake side when my valves got bent and messed up the guides last year when my motor blew up. But my valves wont go in the new valve guides? is this normal? somebody told me to measure and see if the top of the valve stem is mushroomed out from wear, but I checked em and they are fine. does the machine shop have to ream out the guides to make the valves fit or anything?

When I had mine done took to builder. He heated the head to drive out and put in new valve guides, and new valves at the same time. Wish I knew but assumed they fit without any work…..your not trying to put old "bent" valves back in are you?

400man
01-11-2015, 02:16 PM
When I had mine done took to builder. He heated the head to drive out and put in new valve guides, and new valves at the same time. Wish I knew but assumed they fit without any work…..your not trying to put old "bent" valves back in are you?

no I meant the valve wont even try to go in the new guide at all. the part numbers are right and everything. I even got some extra used valves from a buddy, and his wont work either. but they work fine in the 2 good exhaust guides still in the head. I just need to go to the machine shop I guess.

01boneless
01-13-2015, 07:50 AM
no I meant the valve wont even try to go in the new guide at all. the part numbers are right and everything. I even got some extra used valves from a buddy, and his wont work either. but they work fine in the 2 good exhaust guides still in the head. I just need to go to the machine shop I guess.

You have to buy a reamer and ream them out or take the head and valve to a machine shop and they will do it.

400man
01-13-2015, 12:37 PM
You have to buy a reamer and ream them out or take the head and valve to a machine shop and they will do it.

ok thanks. I always thought they would just fit like normal.