PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Raptor 125 built into a 96CC 2-stroke

oscarmayer
01-09-2015, 12:07 PM
This year we are going to be running a 125 raptor chassis with the YZ 85 engine (96cc setup) in the 90 open class.
I have already started working on the setup. Our colors are white and kawi green.
LSracing is sponsoring us so we are using the swinger from them and rear assembly I'm also running LSR a-arms. We are also sponsored by Teixeiratech so we are using their gusset kit and their rear ring gear guard. (debating on getting a full frame skid or not still).

First order up is stripping the down to the frame for engine removal, gusseting and such. from there will be the new engine mounting designs and radiator mounting and finally swingarm re-enforcements and such.

Well here's where we are at.
ATV was torn complete down to the frame. sold motor and all electrical and exhaust.
I wondered why when we adjusted the suspension it never quite worked how we wanted it. Well we found out why. the previous owner had a bad accident and tweaked the front end of the frame some. $200 later it was straightened. So I installed a new gusset kit. I do all my own work, so I am welding in the new kit and then having the Frame powder coated Kawi green. (my son likes green so quad colors are green and white.) I'm also going to get the a-arms coated. thank god I took them apart, bearings were failing and both lower ball joints were shot to piss. So I am ordered a +2 chromoly swinger and will also get him a new Fox rear shock. The front shocks are custom valve and sprung YFZ450R shocks and work perfectly (Very heavy duty compared to others) but they will need a refresh for this season, so I will have a place do them near me. Cost is $210 for both fronts so very good deal! For an extra $50 they will help set the sag and other settings for my son's riding to center so we have a good middle starting to adjust from.

Motor was shipped off to Lukesracing.com (Awesome 2-stroke shop) to get new HotRod crank, and 96cc BB setup installed. (another sponsor of sponsor of ours)

I am working on getting the final engine mounts build and the radiator installed, the I will be taking our pro circuit pipe to get modified to fit the new setup.

i will post some photos i have later this evening.
thanks for looking

jerkyboy
01-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Just my opinion but would go with a oem crank over a hotrod any day. I have seen many hotrod cranks fail in 2 and 4 stroke engines.

oscarmayer
01-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Here are some photos of the progress.

Thanks for the info jerkyboy, my experiences are 99% of the failures you speak of are due to misalignment during instillation. If it's slightly it will fail and so will the piston to cylinder clearances. the last photo was the 2nd or 3rd time he rode the raptor 125 in stock setup and you can see we needed to gusset the frame. especially with a much stronger motor than what is in there now.

oscarmayer
01-14-2015, 07:59 PM
I did some more work. Mounted the radiator and test fit the tank and body. I will have to do some small trimming on the body, but it will work good.
We received some more parts, I got the new lower ball joints, all bearings, and some other misc. parts. I also got the LSR bearing carrier in. so they just owe me the swinger. it should be here first week of Feb.

next steps are to install the swinger re-enforcement kit, then mock the front end and take it with everything on it on the front and center
(engine, tank, rad, a-arms, shock, steering and tie rods, the reason is we need the pipe modified to fir properly.) I also need to finish my front engine mount design. I have not finished designing.

oscarmayer
02-02-2015, 08:11 AM
01/23/2015Finished the frame welding and such compeltley so we did final dissambly after fitment and took the frame, a-arms, new XFR pro nerfs, new prm desert grab and prm desert front bumper to the powder coaters to get it kawi green. I also took the beadlocks from our DWT wheels over to match the green. Our new PRM 1/8" alloy skid plate will get pained black on the bottom side with truck bead coating to help protect it better and the top will be white (to help show leaks and such) Should have parts back next week for final assembly.

01/30/2015
Well it was christmas time this weekend!!!!!!!!
I got the Flex bars in, boysen rad valve and spare reed set, new free standing shop size Blasting cabinet (yep now i can clena my own stuffs!!!), new 1/8" Alloy skid plate, new rear SS brake line, 2 new Kien 28MM(28.5mm to be exact) carbs, new ODI "locker" grips (black and green ordered with custom #155 A.Wichter on them).

I also torn down the spare motor and started bearing repalcement. I will have to get a shop to help remove 1 specific bearing that I cannot seem to pull out. Honestly the stocker is in great shape am I really could just leave it but I am being a panzy about it cause I wante everything new. So I will see if I continue assembly or get it replaced. His new motor will be there this week the new Sonpsor build 96CC setup and new 96cc top end fo rthe spare I am building. I'll take photos if the motor appart and parts I am using so ya'll can see the details we ho through. One cool think I discovered about Yamaha motors, They do nto sue a center case gasket, they only use sealer. That made it 1000000Xs easier to split the cases and it all come appart easily. Honda, Kawi and most others have a gasket, that causes the cases to stick when trying to split the cases and tons ofo cleanup. I cleaned the case halves in 10 min with how soapy water and plastic scrubber sinc ethere were no gaskets. Loved it!!!!!! Was the easiest rebuild I have ever done yet!
Oh I forgot to mention for the spare, I have a new SS bolt repalcment kit that uses allen heads instead of the dumb philip head screw/bolts yami used in stock. I hate them dam philip screw heads!!!. They ALWAYS strip even with a impact driver.

Anyway, I'll take some photos and show my progress. I am goign to start updating my mikesatvfix.com site to show this build and the progress.

oscarmayer
02-10-2015, 11:06 AM
well things are comming together nicely. got everythign back from PC shop and started assembly. motor mounted, steering, harness, levers,cables etx. tonight i finally got the front repalcement a-arm bearing sets in so i will be repalcing those and installing the entire front end of the ATV tonight. LSR goofed and forgot tot hsip the swinger last week so it is in the mail today and I will have it by Friday. I will install the stocker for now as a mockup setup and later switch it out for the LSR one.(easy to do, plus give sme 2 different setups for different tracks and such)

I need to post updated photos, Promise this week sometime.

oscarmayer
02-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Well it is 90% complete and I have about 5-7 hours of work left. Need to install ball between shift rod and shift pusher and then clutch cover will be white. Bleed brakes, install coolant hoses and all fluids and plug. Install carb and work on adjusting.

I will upload photos when I get back intown. This site does not allow tapatalk so I cannot use my phone to upload photos.

billyr85
05-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Any photo updates and what did u do to strengthen the swinger point